SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2018, 06:06 AM   #1
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Will Saturns be classic cars?

My 95 SL2 will be 25 years old next year. Will Saturns be a classic, collectible car? Are the 91-93 cars appreciating in price or considered collectible? Iím the original owner and it was/is my 1st new car, so Iím emotionally attached. Before the SL2, I had a 67 Mustang which I sold when it became impossible to smog. I somewhat regret selling it since, even if I had paid to garage it, it may have been worth it.

Iím tempted to keep the SL2, but Iím not in a position to work on it myself, so maintenance & repairs costs will far exceed book value of roughly $800. My friends laugh - they donít think Saturns will ever be classic like Mustangs.

Iíd like to keep it another year as a 2nd car, but could see where itís a bad investment if theyíre just going to slowly disappear. As it is, I see fewer Saturns on the road now than there were Mustangs when I sold mine. Iíve Googled to no results any plans on a Saturn museum, so I think Saturn really is a cult following, not the mass appeal that made the Mustang and Camaro such popular classics.

Thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Will Saturns be classic cars?

Will Saturn's be seen as classic/collectible cars? That's a tough question to answer and, of course, any reply would guessing at best. I suppose the best way to ascertain what might occur with this car line as it enters the "Cars of Particular Interest" age group would be to compare it with models which had similar sales and general public interest. As much as it pains me to say this, perhaps comparisons should be made with AMC's unusual models of the '70's - the Gremlin and the Pacer come to mind. Saturn, too, was an unusual car line - especially relating to the S-Series. Several later models, like my LS1, were hybrid US-European cars which didn't have near the following of the S-Series cars.

296,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:54 AM   #3
GTS350
GTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

I seriously doubt they will become classics. They just don't fit any of the normal criteria. There will always be a small portion of people who may want to own or collect them but that doesn't make them a classic.

1999 Saturn SC2 (automatic) 23,000 orig miles (9/10/16)
1996 BMW E36
1971 Holden Monaro GTS 350
1908 Buick Model 10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GTS350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GTS350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GTS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:20 AM   #4
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

The Ion Red Line, as Saturn's performance model, should be Saturn's first classic when it becomes eligible in 2029, along with the Sky and Sky Red Lines, though by definition, any surviving 1991-1993 Saturn models are already classics, with 1994 added to that category next year.

After that, the Vue Red Line, with its novel Honda 3.5L V-6, should be next. The garden-variety models - S-series, L-series, Ion, Aura, Vue, Vue Green Line, Outlook, etc., will simply become rolling curiosities, much like finding a surviving Pacer, Matador, Eagle, Gremlin, is today.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

The 8 2010 skyís should be. Iíve seen some of the 21 2010 solstices for sale for over 60k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

There will always be a following.

There are still collectors of Studebakers, AMCs, Hudsons and Nashes. Even Yugos and Trabants have their fans.

I never thought I would see the day repro manufacturers would make parts for old Valiants or Falcons.

Saturns have an interesting back story, unique construction, simplicity and enjoyed [and still enjoy] a loyal fan base.

I have seen so many columnists, all the way back to the 50s claim that their current decade of cars will "never be collectible". And they've been wrong.

With the internet, more enthusiasts of a particular marque can connect with other fans, find obscure parts, buy and sell cars.

The arrival of a 25 year old K Car at a car show even produced articles that memorialized the event at the time.

The usual cut off for car club or show participation seems to be 25 years. Show up with your car and what others think can blow.

At a local car show [huge, actually] a couple of weeks ago, were a 92 Impala and a 94 Olds Cutlass convertible.

There is room for all kinds of cars in the hobby.

I'd walk across the show field to see an early S Series as opposed to yet another Cobra clone or the common as dirt Chevy, Ford, Mopar Big Block jacked up 1 of none cars. They all have their fans. I grew up with them. I've seen them over and over again.

But those stripper 6 cylinder oldies or cars from somewhere other than the Big Three [or independent of] will hook me every time.

Don't wait for permission or validation. The snobs will never approve, but they won't be having the fun or the connection you'll have with your Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #7
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
The Ion Red Line, as Saturn's performance model, should be Saturn's first classic when it becomes eligible in 2029, along with the Sky and Sky Red Lines, though by definition, any surviving 1991-1993 Saturn models are already classics, with 1994 added to that category next year.

After that, the Vue Red Line, with its novel Honda 3.5L V-6, should be next. The garden-variety models - S-series, L-series, Ion, Aura, Vue, Vue Green Line, Outlook, etc., will simply become rolling curiosities, much like finding a surviving Pacer, Matador, Eagle, Gremlin, is today.
Exactly. Rolling curiosity.

Part of the reason I scored the "blue bubble roof rails and interior trim for my ION.

Have you ever seen these in the wild ?

I'll be like the the old Uncle still driving his 59 Studebaker Lark. In 1990.

Just check back in 2030.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:43 PM   #8
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post

I disagree. The S-Series first model year was unique (1991), of which- any of the 48K made for the first model year if they still exist, are now eligible for Historical Plates (The 25 year mark in most states). There were plenty of limited production S-Series Cars- The 1994 and 1999 Homecoming Editions (3500 and 4000 made- respectively, The 2001 Bumblebee with black roof (99 of them built), the Red Hot and White Hot Cars...

Those that are in Car circles, will know the history of the Car, as well as Saturn....

People pooped on The Corvair... and now? It's a collectible car that is sought after...

http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/co...t-Corvair.html

https://www.corvair.org/

The websites above- are what I think would be cool to happen with S-Series cars... maybe it's wishful thinking, on my part... ???

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

Last edited by 2NDSOUT; 11-19-2018 at 02:55 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote