SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2018, 04:12 AM   #1
Jef1qr
Jef1qr is on a distinguished road

Default 93 sl2 oil light and no oil to top

93 SL2 DOHC. 260,000 miles
Started up and came bk outside and engine was ticking
LOUDLY.
Oil light was steady on.
Oil is full.
I took off anyway and it chattered and pinged
With oil light on while i drove.
Got on highway and got up to 3000 rpm and 70 mph
And the oil light went off and engine was
Quiet as the oil was pumping up there again.
Any ideas what was the problem ?
First time ever.
Thx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jef1qr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jef1qr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jef1qr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2018, 04:54 AM   #2
Packard
Packard is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Re: 93 sl2 oil light and no oil to top

How long has it been since your last oil change. Also you could get a oil pressure gauge and unplug your oil pressure gauge sensor and put the oil pressure guage and read your pressure to see how it looks on idle these ENGINES NEED 9 PSI AT LEAST ON LOW SPEEDS . tHE reASON You light is on cause the gauge if its not faulty is reading low oil pressure that explains the ticking on your lifters. If oil pressure too low it wont reach them . I recommend a better oil filter one that is not as restrictive too. wix or napa gold. I would highly recommend a napa gold filter . Also lower the the weight of oil you use can also make a difference . If your on 10 w - 30 go to a 5w -30 or a 0w to 30 . LOwer the weight of oil to get better flow.

So oil filter possibly filled with crud or just too restrictive plus if oil is high weight will make it worse oil pressure .
I recommend get penzoil ultra synthetic lowest weight .This oil is best if u can . If not just pick up oils 5w or 0w .

This problem happen to me oil light came on . I immediately replaced it with 5w 30 no more problems.

Last edited by Packard; 10-20-2018 at 05:03 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
Jef1qr

I always run 5w 30 conventional oil. And
A cheap FRAM. Filter.
I guess i better stop that !!
But its ok to switch to full synthetic from
Conventional ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jef1qr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I seriously doubt that conventional oil and fram filters caused low oil pressure. If it sounded bad then something is wearing out, maybe the oil pump. Odd it would self-heal though.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Oil and filters are not the problem. You have an old beater with 260k miles on it. Nothing lasts forever. The suggestion to remove the oil sending unit and connect an oil pressure gauge should be performed to check how well the oil pump is doing after so many miles of reliable use.

It doesn't matter whether an engine uses regular, synthetic or a mixture of the two. Engines don't care as long as there's oil to run for lubrication. There was a time long ago before synthetic oil was made and seals were rubber. When syn oil came around and used on engines in the 70's, syn oil seeped past oil seals and blamed for oil leaks. The seals were made to expand with regular oil and couldn't with syn oil. Engine manufacturers quickly saw the writing on the wall and incorporated synthetic seals to be compatible with syn oil. No more oil leaks. You can run any oil you feel comfortable with since every engine made uses synthetic oil seals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
Jef1qr

So from what i watched, the Oil pump VALVE inside the oil pump,
is what creates the Pressure.
The pump creates the FLOW..
So I'm assuming, of course, that the Valve within my oil pump was 'stuck' or whatever and it freed itself after awhile..
Is it a BAD idea to run something with the new oil or will that create problems everywhere ?
Thx for your input all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I don't know what you watched but oil pumps generate oil pressure from the gerotor assembly. The pressure regulator valve controls pressure otherwise oil pressures will vary from low to very high as engine rpm varies. Saturns oil pumps vary from 13 psi to 80 psi. Service limit; min 9 psi idle, min 29 psi@2k rpm.

From one Saturn service manual;

The engine's oil pump is located in the front timing cover and is driven by flats on the crankshaft timing sprocket. Oil is pulled from the oil pan into the gerotor pump. The pump forces oil under pressure to the oil filter. A regulator valve mounted in the front cover oil outlet regulates oil pressure and vents excess back to the inlet side of the oil pump.

Oil enters the filter and is routed through the main oil gallery in the engine cylinder block. The engine oil filter has both an anti-drainback valve and a by-pass valve. The anti-drainback valve prevents oil from draining out of the engine's oil galleries when it is not running and the by-pass valve allows oil to by-pass or flow around the filter's paper element if it should become plugged.

Engine oil leaving the pump flows through the cylinder block main oil gallery and is pressure fed to the main and connecting rod bearings. Oil also flows to the cylinder head and lubricates the camshaft, hydraulic lifters, and rocker arm. Run off oil from the cylinder head lubricates the timing gears and chain. Oil is also pumped from the main oil gallery to the hydraulic chain tensioner. Engine oil pressure and a ratchet mechanism in the tensioner are used to keep the timing chain tight.

As suggested with an old engine running well past 260k miles, an oil pressure gauge is the beat way to assess what's going on. Second guessing may result in damage. Experimenting with different oil viscosities is your choice and can't hurt but you're still guessing without a positive assessment with an oil pressure gauge. Its not everyday for anyone to connect an oil pressure gauge but it can be done with some imagination or if Autozone/Advance Auto have loaner tools for use. You'd have to know thread size. One easy way to know would be removing the oil pressure sending unit, plugging the hole temporarily and taking the sending unit to stores with loaner tools to match thread fittings to your oil pressure sending unit.
Attached Images
File Type: gif TifToGif.gif (95.1 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
Jef1qr

Stupid question.
The oil stopped pumping into top of engine.
Oil light on.
The engine or something seized.
I only heard the “ticking rattling “
On top of engine on the the timing chain
(Passengers side) of engine.
When i crank engine, i get a slight turn.
Is there something on top of engine that seized ?
I nvr heard LOUD banging or grinding coming from crank or anything at bottom of engine.

Last edited by Jef1qr; 11-19-2018 at 09:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2018, 02:59 AM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Did you read post#7 or ignored it? Guessing without proof of lack of valve train lubrication? With 260k miles and the engine not turning over doesn't leave much room for guessing. You have choices. Manually turn the engine crankshaft by hand using a socket and breaker bar with a pipe extension for leverage and see if the engine turns over or remove the valve cover to examine the valve train and timing chain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2018, 05:05 AM   #10
Jef1qr

Not ignoring any posts.
Just trying to understand the inner workings is all.
If the chain broke, i know the valves are trashed.
And I assume a piston must have got damaged as well.
I will of course remove valve cover to inspect.

I do appreciate all that take time to reply.
Thx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #11
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Hey Jef1qr,
To me this sounds like you have experienced a real loss of oil pressure, and not a bad sender. The first clue was the bad noises. If your oil pressure sender is bad and everything else is ok, no bad noises. I can only guess what failed without taking the motor apart. At this stage I'm not sure if it matters if it was the spring, pump, or whatever. If it was me I'd be looking for a motor to rebuild. That one is likely toast. Maybe the valves and pistons are trashed as you speculate. The other thing is that the motor was run without oil pressure.

Good luck!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote