SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #1
SuperCookie
SuperCookie is on a distinguished road

Default Should i paint my brakes?

I am getting a special edition yellow sc2 (not the bumble bee). The owner before the one i am buying it from sort of riced it buy putting a cold air intake and a stick on hood scoop. I want to return it to stock because it is a special edition. But i really like the look of painted brake calipers and drums. so i don't know what i should, should i paint it and make it not stock or keep it stock?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperCookie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperCookie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2018, 10:02 PM   #2
Zeebins
Zeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to all

1997 SL2
Default Re: Should i paint my brakes?

If you live up north painting them would be a good idea just for the sake of preventing rust.

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:49 PM   #3
SuperCookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
If you live up north painting them would be a good idea just for the sake of preventing rust.
You don't think it would ruin it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SuperCookie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2018, 11:07 PM   #4
Zeebins
Zeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to all

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCookie View Post
You don't think it would ruin it?
If you mean ruining the look of the car, not in my opinion. Although I'm not too sure what color would look good with a yellow SC other than Black or yellow. It's really all personal preference though, what you like best. It is your car after all. If you want 100% pure stock look, then I would just paint them black to prevent rust. But small cosmetic mods can go a long way in the overall look of a car in my opinion, especially ones that still look fairly factory and don't scream cheap aftermarket. For example I love the pin stripe on my Saturn. I have no idea if it was stock or now but I really like the look of it. I also plan on eventually repainting my hubcaps a metallic silver color at some point. They probably weren't metallic from the factory but I think it'll look nice. Painting your calipers doesn't seem too "un-factory" in my opinion (meaning I could have see Saturn doing that, even though they didn't.) Really you just have to decide what you think looks best

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:49 PM   #5
SuperCookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
If you mean ruining the look of the car, not in my opinion. Although I'm not too sure what color would look good with a yellow SC other than Black or yellow. It's really all personal preference though, what you like best. It is your car after all. If you want 100% pure stock look, then I would just paint them black to prevent rust. But small cosmetic mods can go a long way in the overall look of a car in my opinion, especially ones that still look fairly factory and don't scream cheap aftermarket. For example I love the pin stripe on my Saturn. I have no idea if it was stock or now but I really like the look of it. I also plan on eventually repainting my hubcaps a metallic silver color at some point. They probably weren't metallic from the factory but I think it'll look nice. Painting your calipers doesn't seem too "un-factory" in my opinion (meaning I could have see Saturn doing that, even though they didn't.) Really you just have to decide what you think looks best
well i was thinking of painting them yellow. If i do should i get high temperature paint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2018, 12:34 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes, use caliper paint that you buy at the local auto parts, follow directions carefully.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:44 AM   #7
sc2 saturn
sc2 saturn is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

i used normal trem clad paint and did a pontiac firefly and saturn gotta redo saturn one though never cleaned them up as good but normal trem clad paint works good as long as you prep it good my firefly lasted few years no flaking even in harsh winters that is until pcm went lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2 saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:22 AM   #8
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

Personally, I would sand them real well then hit them with a darker paint, like gray or black just to keep it from really standing out.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #9
87z16
87z16 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

in my opinion the hammered steel paint from rustoleum looks real good as well. did that on my 85 SS. i did silver on my HHR. like was said before keeps the rust at bay up here.

99 SL2 maroon/beige
99 SL2 maroon/black
87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe --- maroon/maroon - completely stock
85 Monte Carlo SS --- silver/maroon - not stock

tom

http://www.motortopia.com/87z16

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 87z16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 87z16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
87z16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #10
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: Should i paint my brakes?

I recently painted the calipers on a newer car that were already showing signs of surface corrosion.
I wire brushed them clean and then brush-painted them sort of a brick red.
They look nice and are not "in your face" like some colors can be.
Almost any color would be better than having them rusty or chalky though.

Do use "caliper paint" because it should be more resistant to brake dust and residue than other types of paint.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote