SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2018, 10:58 PM   #1
ElysRealm
ElysRealm is on a distinguished road

Default What fluid am I leaking?

I think it's oil. Maybe? Pictures are attached. The leak seems to be near the driverside (front) and you can also see in the first picture the bit of plastic there that is wet. It's a 99' SL1 and has about ~130k on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leak1.jpg (72.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg leak2.jpg (43.7 KB, 29 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ElysRealm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ElysRealm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ElysRealm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2018, 11:21 PM   #2
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: What fluid am I leaking?

Finding a leak is a bit of an art but not a super hard one.
1) Clean off all the oil
2) Run it a bit
3) Look for new oil

Get the big leaks first, medium second, small last.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:57 PM   #3
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

You can be more certain of what kind of fluid that you are leaking by laying down some aluminum foil under your car where the current leaks are and weighing down the corners of the aluminum foil with some rocks or nuts or something. If a drop of the liquid falls on the aluminum foil overnight, then you can more clearly see the color of the liquid. If the liquid is orange, then it's Dex Cool coolant. The transmission cooler lines can leak at the metal crimps by being pushed open by the internal pressure of steam. On my replacement transmission cooler lines, I put hose clamps on the metal crimps. If the liquid looks like oil on the aluminum foil, then it's probably oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:13 PM   #4
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

Until you find the source of the leak keep an eye on all fluids, especially brake fluid. These S Series are all at least 16 years old, brake lines don't last forever. Brake fluid is the forgotten fluid and a small drip can lead to a snapped line and a big leak and then no brakes, the last thing you want. The front passenger side brake line passes along the back of the firewall. I'd check the brake fluid daily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #5
jpags729
jpags729 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

My old trick is to rip off a piece of cardboard from a box and place it underneath. Easier to see what color it is that way. Best of luck and keep us posted!

1999 Saturn SL2
Purchased: Oct 2018
Mileage: 126000

2008 Honda Accord EX-L
Purchased: Mar 2018
Mileage: 153500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpags729's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpags729 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpags729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Checking the fluid levels can be pretty concise, on which fluid is leaking.

Symptoms of which fluids are leaking:

Power Steering: Whining from pump while turning steering wheel, difficulty when steering

Transmission: Won't go into gear, slams into gear, goes into "limp" mode, sets transmission codes

Engine Oil: You will HEAR this one, as soon as the "replace engine" light begins flickering, in bright red, on the right side of your tachometer. And it will be your number 3 connecting rod blowing out the side of your engine block.

Brake Fluid: Soft brake pedal, brake pedal going to the floor, very little stopping power, vibration in pedal, illumination of the "Brake" warning light.

Coolant: High temp gauge, overheating, steam from under the hood, smell of coolant while driving, hissing and fluid boiling out as soon as you shut the engine off when it is warm.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

I once rode my Sportster to work in December - so I brought it inside the shop so it wouldn't be ice cold when I went to start it on the way home after work.

I noticed later in the day a rather large puddle of oil underneath.

Harleys - especially older ones are sort of known for leaking. ( it was a 1961).

But I had built the engine and had put all new seals asnd gaskets. I knew it didn't leak.

I theorized, then confirmed it was somebody being a smartass.

I confronted the wiseguy - and told him not to pour oil under my bike. He denied it. I accused him again - and said I knew he did it...

How?

It was clean oil. The oil in the bike had miles on it.

If you' re going to mess with somebody - use dirty oil.

:P

92 SC2
93 SC2
93 SW2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
3 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote