SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2018, 10:40 PM   #1
sc2 saturn
sc2 saturn is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default sc2 aftermarket lights mod help

so i got pair of 120w lights shine nice into ditch but i hate having to use two switch's one for the aftermarket light and other for high beams

i can't figure out how to wiring it on a backwards system like saturns where everything is power then drops to ground i know 5pin relay the middle would be trigger wire but when i tried to attempt to wire it the aftermarket lights stayed off and quad beams would be on i tested relay and its not even getting triggered to activate 12v to the lights so my question is how do i wire it so it triggers to allow current to flow through it too my aftermarket lights?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2 saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2018, 12:09 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: sc2 aftermarket lights mod help

Middle terminal is the trigger one? What kind of relay are you using?

Standard relay layout attached.
85 Trigger + (low amp fused battery power)
86 Trigger - (ground switched source ie: high beam ground)
30 Source power (high amp, 30-40, battery power)
87 Load 1 (lights you want turned on when activated)
87a Load 2 (unused or lights you want turned off when activated)

Pins 85/86 are used to activate the relay. By default it allows power from pin 30 to pin 87a, once activated it switch's to pin 87. A 4 pin relay does effectively the same thing, only it can only be used for a single load as it only has 87.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5_mini_relay.jpg (8.0 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:09 AM   #3
sc2 saturn
sc2 saturn is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

bosch 5pin relay -----> BOS 0332019150

u lost me on the low amp power and the high amp power when u said there both battery powered

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2 saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The activation circuit (pin 85 & 86) only needs low amps (lowest rated fuse you can find) while the load circuit (pin 30 & 87/87a) needs higher amps to run whatever you wish it to (your relay says max of 30amp).

You can use a higher rated fuse for the activation circuit if that's all you can find, there's just no reason for that circuit to be using more than 1amp, if even that much so if it blows a 3 amp fuse you know there's an issue with the wiring. Using a higher rated fuse than the circuit needs to or even can handle defeat's the main purpose of the fuse (20amp fuse won't protect devices that can only handle 10amp of power...).

You've got a standard GM style relay with the diagram on how to wire it molded into the side of it and the pins marked on the bottom...the middle pin is 87a which has no effect on the activation circuit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote