SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
ElysRealm
ElysRealm is on a distinguished road

Default My SL1 '99 is having intermittent radio issues and a weird blinker issue.

So I'm having a couple of weird issues...

* Radio seems to be acting funny. As in sometimes, it doesn't even work (only happened once or twice).
* The other day half of my speakers (driver side) were barely audible but the passenger side speakers were fine.
* Sometimes odometer backlight works (75% of the time) and other times it doesn't.
* Sometimes my blinker (mostly the left one if memory serves me right) blinks faster than the right. My lights are all fine.

Seeing a pattern here? Intermittent issues. So I THOUGHT I had fixed the infamous F5 issue or nipped it in the butt. I have my cigarette lighter wired into the battery directly (fused in). Tomorrow morning I will be checking my fuse box and seeing what it looks like.

Anything else to check/look for? Just want to nip this issue in the butt because since the radio is wired into the same fuse as the fuel pump I am concerned about getting stranded.

Should I perhaps just wire the stereo via a fused line to the battery like the cig. lighter is?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ElysRealm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ElysRealm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ElysRealm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: My SL1 '99 is having intermittent radio issues and a weird blinker issue.

I can't address all of the issues, but IF the left ft turn signal flashes real fast (not just on the dash, but the actual front signal), it means your right rear turn signal has either burnt out, or bad connection, or a breaking/corroded wire connected to it. That is IF the ft bulb is actually flashing. If not flashing, then check that bulb. They work in diagonal bulb pairs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:03 AM   #3
Eiron
Eiron is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
Default Re: My SL1 '99 is having intermittent radio issues and a weird blinker issue.

I don't have enough long-term experience with Saturns to know for certain, but I had similar electrical gremlins on my 1990 Saab (another horse in GM's stable) when the ground cable to the alternator broke and provided only intermittent grounding. Does the '99 SL1 have a similar alternator ground cable issue? (I don't know, but maybe somebody else does)

He's dead Jim!
You grab his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eiron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eiron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysRealm View Post
So I'm having a couple of weird issues...

* Radio seems to be acting funny. As in sometimes, it doesn't even work (only happened once or twice).
* The other day half of my speakers (driver side) were barely audible but the passenger side speakers were fine.
* Sometimes odometer backlight works (75% of the time) and other times it doesn't.
* Sometimes my blinker (mostly the left one if memory serves me right) blinks faster than the right. My lights are all fine.

Seeing a pattern here? Intermittent issues. So I THOUGHT I had fixed the infamous F5 issue or nipped it in the butt. I have my cigarette lighter wired into the battery directly (fused in). Tomorrow morning I will be checking my fuse box and seeing what it looks like.

Anything else to check/look for? Just want to nip this issue in the butt because since the radio is wired into the same fuse as the fuel pump I am concerned about getting stranded.

Should I perhaps just wire the stereo via a fused line to the battery like the cig. lighter is?
Take a look at the area around the forward right side ground pack. It is a flat rectangular connector about the size of playing card that is bolted to the mid-rail right behind the right headlight with a bunch of black wires going to it. The windshiled washer bottle will overflow into it and this causes massive corrosion inside of it. Cleaning is somewhat of an undertaking so the first step is to just look and see if it looks --not right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:56 PM   #5
ElysRealm
ElysRealm is on a distinguished road

Is this the box you were referring to? If it is it looks fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ElysRealm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ElysRealm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ElysRealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:42 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes, that's it. The part that is bolted to the frame with that well rusted bolt is a bunch of fingers that the black part which contains matching 1/4" tongue connectors is mated with. The black part will open up if you look on the sides you can see how it is just folded over the individual connections. As the bolt is showing signs of heavy corrosion opening it up for a look at the individual connections is a good place to start. This can be a time consuming thing to fix as depending on what you find you may have a major repair on your hands here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote