SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2018, 01:52 AM   #1
Zeebins
Zeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to all

1997 SL2
Default What battery are you using

My battery's on its last legs so I need to get a new one in the next few days. Over the summer I had mine tested and it only had about 250 CCA so I new I would need a new one before it got too cold. Apparently 39 degrees was to cold. This morning was the last good start my current battery had in it. Now its cranks really slow every time. Really should have gotten one sooner, oh well.

Anyway, what batteries does everyone here use? I've been looking up reviews and things online and they really all seem more or less the same. The one I have now only lasted 2 years though so does anyone have a good experience with a battery that's lasted them for a while? I've been looking at the ones at Auto Zone and Sears, mainly because they have the longest reserve minutes I've seen. (I know i'm not supposed to run things off the battery for long periods of time but, it's nice being able to use the radio without engine noise in the background, or wasting gas.)

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2018, 03:51 AM   #2
youstolemybeer
youstolemybeer is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
Default Re: What battery are you using

whatever autozone has on sale is the battery I use. about 100 american and I can listen to the radio for about 3 hours without having to worry about the battery draining (stock radio not cranked up)
check your battery warenty you might be able to get a new one prorated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youstolemybeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youstolemybeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youstolemybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:19 AM   #3
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

Walmart batteries have done the job for me when I had to replace the Advance Auto Gold battery that went dead after a few years AND when I had to relace the Chrysler dealer battery that also went dead after a few years (wife’s Pacifica)

A Consumer Reports rated best buy according to the shelf sign in Walmart.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:24 AM   #4
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I used to buy the best battery I could. Back in 2005 I was going through a phase where I was going to replace the Saturn, and the battery died at Kmart. I bump started it (manuals are awesome), drove around the corner to the auto parts store, and bought the cheapest battery I could. It lasted a long time. Now I buy cheap batteries.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

I have an Autozone red battery in the Saturn, and it's the only battery other than the factory battery that has been in the car. It's lasted wwwaaaayyy longer than expected out of any battery.

Right now the SUV has a Wal Mart battery, and it's easily outlasted the OEM and the Interstate battery that replaced the OEM early in the life cycle.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
My battery's on its last legs so I need to get a new one in the next few days. Over the summer I had mine tested and it only had about 250 CCA so I new I would need a new one before it got too cold. Apparently 39 degrees was to cold. This morning was the last good start my current battery had in it. Now its cranks really slow every time. Really should have gotten one sooner, oh well.

Anyway, what batteries does everyone here use? I've been looking up reviews and things online and they really all seem more or less the same. The one I have now only lasted 2 years though so does anyone have a good experience with a battery that's lasted them for a while? I've been looking at the ones at Auto Zone and Sears, mainly because they have the longest reserve minutes I've seen. (I know i'm not supposed to run things off the battery for long periods of time but, it's nice being able to use the radio without engine noise in the background, or wasting gas.)
Running off the battery suggests that you should be using a dual cycle type battery. This would be a both starting and deep cycle battery. Some marine batteries are designed for this type of service. A starting battery is designed for a very short duration high current load and does not tolerate long duration low current discharge cycles.

The CCA rating is a calculated value that is actually determining the slow increase in internal battery resistance over time. As a battery slowly fails the internal resistance increases and the CCA will decrease. Makes for impressive advertising copy as well. The actual rating of concern is the AMP/Hr rating though. With any battery type other than starting batteries you usually only se the amp/hr rating and they will have a lower calculated CCA as well.

Buying the lowest cost starting battery will put you into the scheduled battery replacement at a relatively short frequency if you do not want to experience that winter no start event that pops up with no warning.

The secret to long battery service is proper battery maintenance and buying a battery that was designed to meet your usage profile and the environment the battery will be used in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Zeebins, 250 cca is around 1/3 to 1/2 the reserve of most good batteries. If you weren't aware, CCAs drop when temps drop to further the frustrations of a no start issue of a worn out battery. Buy more get more. More CCAs cost more. Most name brand batteries with at least a two or three year warranty are good for budget minded drivers. Looking at 4, 5, 6 year battery warranties and you have a greater price range. Beyond 6 year batteries are the Optima batteries at several hundred dollars - sealed permanently and made to last longer than most. The one exception to batteries are Ion owners with plain acdelco batteries. They report ten years use from factory batteries that's amazing against most factory batteries lasting only 5-6 years before replacement. It may be a perfect combination of electrical system and alternator to maintain the longest battery life vey few cars have never achieved. I'm excluding high end vehicles since these forums are basically about daily drivers with vehicles most keep for long term ownership.

I'll throw in my two cents; original battery lasted six years, one AutoZone battery prematurely dying in three years out of a six or eight year warranty with credit pro rating on another AutoZone Duralast battery. The second battery may have died prematurely as i did have to replace an alternator that never gave any indication of failing other than intermittent headlight flickering. My third battery seems to be fine, checking voltage occasionally. It's on its second or third year of a six(?) year warranty.

With few exceptions, the majority of car batteries in the mid priced range tend to deliver a full life based on their warranty, then die. No one will guarantee a two year battery to last the years. The same for five year battery warranty. No one will guarantee it to last beyond five years. Buy what fits you. And you can run car radios for several hours on longer rated batteries since you aren't drawing from a lower cost battery with a two year warranty. All batteries will last as long as the drive belt and alternator are in good operating condition.

If I'm not mistaken, marine batteries are made for deep discharge at low current for several hours of use like trolling motors then recharged at home. They're not used as starting batteries in cars and not designed for high discharge current use. If they were then many would be dumping their car batteries for marine batteries. They're also expensive for the wrong application.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Contrary to the advise above there are several marine batteries that are rated for both starting and deep cycle duty. They are rather common actually as most boats have engines with starters these days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Maine batteries may be dial use but they're not cheap...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

I have no wish to get into a pissing contest, so here's my 5 cents...

Buy all my car batteries from Walmart. I run a Chevy Suburban myself, and pay for all the running & repairs on my 2 son's Saturns's - L300 & SL2. All run Everstart Maxx batteries.

Replaced the Suburban and the SL2 last year after nearly 6 years of use in Florida. The L300 got changed this year after 3 years of car ownership and an unknown age of car battery that was on it.

The Everstart batteries are made by Johnson Controls, one of the biggest suppliers in the automotive industry.

The MAXX 75 on the SL2 cost $87.96 with Tax made it $95.73. It has a FIVE YEAR Warranty. 3 full years on straight replacement and 2 years on pro-rata. It has a 700 CCA. Walmart have 2 versions, one is designated S for South and the other is designated N for North. So which version you get depends on your location. You cannot get much better value than that (in my opinion)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #11
Zeebins
Zeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to all

1997 SL2

After reading people here having good luck with Walmart batteries I was going to get one of the ever start ones. I say was because my local Walmart doesn't carry them for some reason, only the value power brand. So I ended up just getting a sears one. It has a decent warranty plus I found a gift card in my wallet, so why not.

Also, i may have found out why this Battery quit after 2 years. Can car batteries leak like AAs? That's what this stuff in the bottom of the battery tray reminds me of anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4758.jpg (177.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4760.jpg (140.5 KB, 12 views)

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #12
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

Quote:
After reading people here having good luck with Walmart batteries I was going to get one of the ever start ones. I say was because my local Walmart doesn't carry them for some reason, only the value power brand. So I ended up just getting a sears one. It has a decent warranty plus I found a gift card in my wallet, so why not.

Also, i may have found out why this Battery quit after 2 years. Can car batteries leak like AAs? That's what this stuff in the bottom of the battery tray reminds me of anyway.
You do realize that Sears has filed for bankruptcy. Your warranty may be worthless!

On the subject of your local Walmart not carrying the battery, that is bunkum on their part. ANY Walmart can supply ANY battery that Walmart advertises.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #13
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasl22002 View Post
You do realize that Sears has filed for bankruptcy. Your warranty may be worthless!

On the subject of your local Walmart not carrying the battery, that is bunkum on their part. ANY Walmart can supply ANY battery that Walmart advertises.
I know they filed for bankruptcy but if I need to file a warrant claim in the next 3 years I don't need to go through sears, I could just go directly to Dir Hard. (Unless Sears owns Die Hard. If so I did mess up buying from sears.)

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #14
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Optima 8042-218 D75/25 is what I have

My alt is on the way out...i need to fix soon so i don’t kill battery

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:

That vertical scratch doesn't look too deep except for the top portion. Examine it carefully to see if it's cracked into the battery. If it is, you're out of luck as far as warranty because its physical damage and not covered. Manufacturers defect, loss of battery charge not due to under or over charging (battery case bulging), are covered in a warranty. Physical damage caused by mishandling isn't covered.

Most batteries are semi sealed with the exception of Optima and other costly batteries like the agm series. Batteries with cell covers still have battery acid in them and vent under normal use. Battery acid venting will corrode bare metal, dry and leave a white or bluish white powder on battery terminals and any bare metal nearby. The simple cleanup is a mix of warm water and baking soda using an old toothbrush to scrub and dissolve these deposits quickly. Baking soda, water and battery acid chemical reactions creates the bubbling to neutralize acid. Plain water rinse. Any bare metal, dried can be sprayed with whatever paint you have to prevent future corrosion. Grease on the battery terminals helps prevent future build up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #16
Zeebins

1997 SL2

The scratch really doesn't look deep enough to have been leaking, and there was no acid on the battery when I pulled it out. I was pretty sure I was looking at Battery acid when I pulled the battery out though so that's why I wasn't sure. Maybe it's from a previous battery. Wether it was leaking or not though, there's probably a few reasons why it could have gone bad. 1 being fairly short trips to work and 2, it was being powered by a failing alternator for 6 months back in 2017.

I'm also not really concerned about filing a warranty claim on this battery either. The brand on the sticker is " Surviver" and googling that doesn't really get me much. I found the receipt for it last night, apparently it came from a local garage in nov. 2016. Although, they date on the battery says June 2015 so I'm pretty sure they gave my Dad a battery that was sitting around for a while.

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #17
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Corrosion is probably from previous batteries and unfamiliarity with identifying batteries venting in normal circumstances. Corrosion and powdery residue occurs over time unless addressed when oil changes, air/oil filter changes, or other underhood maintenance occurs when its convenient to examine for battery corrosion.

Off brand batteries from repair shops may be questionable unless you can determine battery warranty. Ask the repair shop. Most batteries have a manufacture date hidden in code that's burned into the battery case. Decoding battery date of manufacture is similar to decoding OBD II error codes but each battery manufacturer makes up their own codes. Popular batteries give info on decoding from their website.

A Nissan Sentra corrodes its negative battery terminal all the time. I clean it off with baking soda/water/grease and it comes back after a year or so. My L300 is on its third battery yet zero corrosion/deposits on original side terminal battery cables. What little venting occurs bubbles up when I clean the battery with the solution. Bubbling indicates acid venting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #18
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

I am running either a Willard or Deka, I will have to look tomorrow. Got it for about $80.00 from our local battery place, Warehouse Battery Outlet. Seem to last a while, about 4-5 years here.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #19
nealt
nealt is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

I second the Walmart batteries. My Autozone Gold batteries only seem to last 3 years after the free replacement expires. My Walmart batteries have been going strong in all my vehicles for at least 5 years.

Just don't drain any of them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nealt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nealt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:40 PM   #20
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

I've used lots of different brands but after a couple of AutoZone batteries that "bit the dust" prematurely I started using whatever AAA carries. They have a three year warranty and if one should "die" they'll send someone out to replace it (and take away the old one for no fee).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister_Cee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote