SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2018, 02:05 AM   #1
JPaganel
JPaganel is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
Default No start, no spark

Our 2007 2WD Vue 2.2L refused to start one day.

Checked all fuses - all good
Swapped relays
Checked for gas at fuel rail Schrader valve - have gas
Checked spark - no spark

Replaced crank sensor
Replaced ignition module

Checked ignition module connector - have ground and 12V when ignition is on

I kind of thought that both coils going bad is unlikely. I could check them, but don't know what resistance they should have.

Any other ideas on what I might be looking at?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JPaganel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JPaganel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JPaganel is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #2
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: No start, no spark

Crank position sensor - located under the oil filter.

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

JPaganel, is Passlock/security indicator off or flashing during starting? Describe how you checked for spark. Does fuel spray from the fuel test valve when the valve stem is depressed after turning ignition on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
JPaganel

2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
Crank position sensor - located under the oil filter.
First thing I replaced. No joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
JPaganel, is Passlock/security indicator off or flashing during starting?
It comes on solid for the first few seconds with the rest of the dash lights, then goes out with most of them if I continue cranking.

Quote:
Describe how you checked for spark.
With a bulb-type spark tester

Quote:
Does fuel spray from the fuel test valve when the valve stem is depressed after turning ignition on?
Yes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JPaganel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ok, your answers seem to point to lack of spark. I forgot to ask - removing spark plugs should reveal wet plugs as indication of a good crank sensor and engine computer operating injectors to spray fuel into each cylinder while controlling the ignition system for spark. A dead crank sensor won't allow the engine computer to run at all - no spark, no injector pulses, no fuel pump operation while starting and driving, a dead EFI system. Checking for fuel on plugs verifies 99%of the EFI system is operating. Loss of ignition/spark points to the ignition control module, coil pack and wiring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
JPaganel

2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Ok, your answers seem to point to lack of spark. I forgot to ask - removing spark plugs should reveal wet plugs as indication of a good crank sensor and engine computer operating injectors to spray fuel into each cylinder while controlling the ignition system for spark. A dead crank sensor won't allow the engine computer to run at all - no spark, no injector pulses, no fuel pump operation while starting and driving, a dead EFI system. Checking for fuel on plugs verifies 99%of the EFI system is operating. Loss of ignition/spark points to the ignition control module, coil pack and wiring.
Haven't pulled the plugs. Will try that.

I should also point out that I have hooked up a code reader to the OBD port, and the ECM is communicating. It doesn't show anything useful, since the engine isn't running, but it does come online and respond, so I don't think it's dead.

The crank sensor is brand new. I suppose it isn't impossible that I got a bad one, but I've never had that happen before.

How does the ECM connect to the coil packs? Is there a connector to test?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you didn't throw away the original crank sensor, you can measure it for resistance with a multimeter. In general, crank sensors will have between 700-1200 ohms. Only two wires will have resistance. A third wire is for shielding the low voltage signals and will not provide any resistance when measuring against one of the two wires. Resistance for good sensors will not vary at ambient temperature, freezing, hot or after rapping it against a table edge. Historical records from many members here in each forum has show intermittent/varying resistance or complete failure (open circuit) in one or several states. Mine changed resistance as engine heat affected it - it failed while driving, became operational after engine cool down and then failed as engine heat forced it fail, the engine dying each time.

Intermittent crank sensors can be tested on a bench by measuring resistance after each test; ambient temps, immersed in boiling water and after rapping it against a table edge several times. Each test replicates the engine environment. Good sensors won't vary resistance by much.

OBD II readers are only as good as the design parameters. It will decode emissions errors with better readers decoding abs codes. General purpose readers will not tell you if an engine computer is faulty except by interpolation - zero communication that may be a blown fuse, damage to wiring between computer and reader or computer failure. Advanced knowledge of electronics helps to determine whether or not engine computers fail. As a rule, engine computers rarely fail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #8
DrewsBrews
DrewsBrews is a jewel in the roughDrewsBrews is a jewel in the roughDrewsBrews is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Also there is a small ground terminal on the engine a little higher up the engine above the crank sensor that goes back into the loom. The wire can corrode enough to be "connected" to the terminal but not have reliable conductivity.

For me it would cause random total loss of ignition. Fix was crimping on a new ring terminal and reinstall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrewsBrews's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrewsBrews reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrewsBrews is offline   Reply With Quote