SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
saturnmommy
saturnmommy has a spectacular aura aboutsaturnmommy has a spectacular aura aboutsaturnmommy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL1
Default Trunk leaking water

I have a 1997 Saturn SL1 and my trunk is leaking water. We just went through Tropical Storm Michael and I had a little more water in there than usual when it rains heavy so in trying to find some replacement weatherstripping I have hit a brick wall. I found the part number for it but everywhere I look it is a discontinued part. Does anyone have any idea what can be used as a replacement for this weatherstripping around the trunk? The original part number is listed as 21160164 but it is discontinued. I can't find any specs on the length, thickness etc.. of the weatherstripping but its original to the car and needs replacing. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnmommy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnmommy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2
Default Re: Trunk leaking water

It is most likely the seam underneath the quarter panel. Had this on our 1999 Sl2. You have to remove the quarter panel, scrape off the old dried seam sealer, then scuff, clean, and reapply new seam sealer and let it dry. It took me an afternoon at most, and it keeps the trunk perfectly dry.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Join the club LOL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
odiaz1831
odiaz1831 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Not saything is the best option, but my dad just punched a hole into his trunk. It had been leaking from the right side in his sc2. Im assuming it still leaks, but now it at least drains out? haha

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to odiaz1831's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help odiaz1831 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
odiaz1831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

2 guides, one guy was rebuilding his S-Series to be good as if not better than new.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160654
http://autoleak.com/Water/Saturn-Tru...hp?topic=Water

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:52 PM   #6
saturnmommy
saturnmommy has a spectacular aura aboutsaturnmommy has a spectacular aura aboutsaturnmommy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg17 View Post
It is most likely the seam underneath the quarter panel. Had this on our 1999 Sl2. You have to remove the quarter panel, scrape off the old dried seam sealer, then scuff, clean, and reapply new seam sealer and let it dry. It took me an afternoon at most, and it keeps the trunk perfectly dry.
Awesome, thank you. After thinking about what you said we found the leak may indeed be from the seam as the weatherstrip does not look bad or worn. When we get time to lose the car for a day we will try this fix and may as well do both sides while we are at it. Thanks again for your advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnmommy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #7
saturnmommy

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
2 guides, one guy was rebuilding his S-Series to be good as if not better than new.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160654
http://autoleak.com/Water/Saturn-Tru...hp?topic=Water
Thank you for showing those links. We think that seam is probably the cause and will be fixing it when we can have her out of commission for a day and the weather is good so things will dry. Thank you for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnmommy View Post
I have a 1997 Saturn SL1 and my trunk is leaking water. We just went through Tropical Storm Michael and I had a little more water in there than usual when it rains heavy so in trying to find some replacement weatherstripping I have hit a brick wall. I found the part number for it but everywhere I look it is a discontinued part. Does anyone have any idea what can be used as a replacement for this weatherstripping around the trunk? The original part number is listed as 21160164 but it is discontinued. I can't find any specs on the length, thickness etc.. of the weatherstripping but its original to the car and needs replacing. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Is the water building up in the small recessed sides of the trunk?

It may not be due to bad weather stripping, because my trunk doesn't even seal and it only leaks after hard rains.

So, I pulled my right quarter panel off the car(I love how we can literally just unbolt the body panels for inspecting the chassis).

The welding paste used at the factory had been retaining moisture, and the rust was under neath of it, which was leaking the water right behind the area where the tail lamps bolt into the body. It is rubber-based compound, so if you live in a humid climate or near the ocean, you will get corrosion in this area of the car.

The issue is caused by water getting under the plastic panels, where it gets trapped between the chassis and the panel.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #9
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg17 View Post
Website will not let me rep you for this, but +1,000,000 for this one. i just typed the same thing, but i used a quick fix on mine, because I didn't know how to correctly fix the car at the time of my discovery.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote