SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
former3g
former3g is on a distinguished road

Default 07 XR, Checking Trans level with dipstick?

I've read and looked in the manual and a bit confused. My car thankfully has the dipstick.

Cold and not running:
The fluid level at at the 'Max' and 'Hot' levels.

Immediately after I start the car:
No fluid at all on the dipstick.

After it warms up to temperature:
If I don't push it through the gears, I can see and feel some fluid at the bottom ball of the dipstick. If I push it though park, neutral, reverse and drive for a few minutes, sometimes it will show at the 'Min' line.

Immediately after I turn off the car and still warm:
Back the 'Max and 'Hot' levels.

Fluid is light pink/clear.

I am thinking that I am low on fluid, but the readings with the car not running is throwing me off. So the question is, should I add fluid? If so, how much?

Background:
I've only had the car since 86,000 miles. It was very well maintained. Was owned by a mechanic who sadly passed away. Yes, I know of the issues with this trans. Car currently has 87,500 miles on it. Trans is somewhat fine with the exception of some jerking while coasting to a stop and going from 1st to 2nd in traffic. If I ease it, it doesn't jerk. From a stop, if I get on the gas and accelerate quickly, it is as smooth as butter, until I decelerate, then it jerks a bit. Sometimes I notice a lag while trying to accelerate, but I just have to mash the pedal a little more and it mostly kicks in smoothly.

I purchased the car to keep miles off of my lease on my daily, but I kind of like it and may decide to keep it instead of the original plan in selling it.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to former3g's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help former3g reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
former3g is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
explorerbigjon
explorerbigjon will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: 07 XR, Checking Trans level with dipstick?

Almost all GM vehicles need the vehicle running to properly check the transmission fluid level - to the best of my knowledge. There are other manufacturers such as Honda that does not require the car to be running check the fluid level.

You may be correct in assuming the fluid is low. Pick up a quart of transmission fluid and add just a little at a time. I would be adding fluid while the car is cold, and you may not be needing to add that much either.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5-Sport tuning T10 wheels-Dynomax bullet/Borla ProXS-eBay intake-Pioneer Premier 12 shallow mount/Kicker CXA600.1
Upgrades coming!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to explorerbigjon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help explorerbigjon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
explorerbigjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
former3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerbigjon View Post
Almost all GM vehicles need the vehicle running to properly check the transmission fluid level - to the best of my knowledge. There are other manufacturers such as Honda that does not require the car to be running check the fluid level.

You may be correct in assuming the fluid is low. Pick up a quart of transmission fluid and add just a little at a time. I would be adding fluid while the car is cold, and you may not be needing to add that much either.
Thank you. That is what I figured. If I add while itís cold or not running, I wonít see how much I am adding since is at max in that state. I figure I will add just a bit at a time while running until I start seeing fluid on the hash marks on the dipstick.

I just want to make sure that I donít overfill!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help former3g reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
former3g

Ok so... I went to walmart and picked up some Dexron VI. They only had the full synthetic. I did some research and apparently standard Dextron VI is a blend anyway. So I warmed up the car and put in about 8 oz (about a quarter of the quart bottle). I was able to see some fluid on the stick so I stopped there and figured it it needs more I can put it in later.

I let the car cool off for a few hours, then took it for a spin. The trans slipped going into 3rd or 4th Then it had a hard shift going from 4th to 3rd. Ran my errands, took it out for another spin for about 30 minutes and its fine now..

Do you think it was just the trans getting use to the little bit of extra fluid?

It never slipped on me in the 1500 miles that I drove before this. Just some hard shifts, which seem to have eased up a tad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2018, 06:36 AM   #5
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is a jewel in the roughimaddicted2u is a jewel in the roughimaddicted2u is a jewel in the roughimaddicted2u is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XE

GM fluid check method...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPGwvwrGPlc

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #6
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is a jewel in the roughimaddicted2u is a jewel in the roughimaddicted2u is a jewel in the roughimaddicted2u is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XE

5 Symptoms of Low Transmission Fluid
https://cartreatments.com/symptoms-o...mission-fluid/

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:05 PM   #7
former3g

Thank you for the videos. I did see that and I believe I followed it for the most part. I did not plug in my OBDII to check the temperature but the car was running idle for quite a while.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
former3g

I drove the car about 30 miles this morning and it was fine. So hopefully that slip was just an anomaly from the trans sensing the additional fluid.. It also probably did not like the fact that I was going through the gears like I was while checking the levels.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!