SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
philsplace
philsplace is on a distinguished road

Default Bad ECM. Are they replaceable?

Hello,

I have had an issue with the engine fan on my 06 Vue 3.5L not shutting down. I was told that the ECM was bad but they did not know how to fix it because it was not supported by the manufacturer anymore.
Q: If i locate one from the same model year and engine size, can it be replaced? I have had not luck locating a new one. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to philsplace's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help philsplace reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
philsplace is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Bad ECM. Are they replaceable?

ebay, junk yards

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
PCF
PCF is just really nicePCF is just really nicePCF is just really nicePCF is just really nice

2004 VUE 2.2L
2005 VUE 2.2L

Widely available.

But you have to have a dealer program it for you. This and other eBay sellers have VIN programmed ECM's for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/02-07-Satur...2:pf:0&vxp=mtr

2005 Vue / 2004 Vue
Both with 2.2L 5 speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PCF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PCF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

philsplace, who are 'they' that told you the ecm is faulty and 'they' don't know how to fix it? GM will happily empty anyone's wallet for any service whether a repair is successful or not. Under new car warranty, everything is repairable because of the warranty. Out of warranty simply means they can charge any price to support their dealership operation - high overhead costs passed onto customers. Independent repair shops with skilled mechanics and techs using aftermarket scantools can be less costly and still provide professional services. Unfortunately, many repair shops not investing in better talent and equipment become 'replacement artists', replacing things until solving a problem. Experienced repair shops are sometimes difficult to find.

There's some simple troubleshooting to determine why your cooling fan won't turn off. It may be as simple as a stuck cooling fan relay. Some engine computers have a default program - if the engine cooling system is faulty or the operating temperature falls below a certain value, default programming turns on the cooling fan to prevent any chances of overheating. Electronic temperature sensors are the only way engine computers know if an engine is freezing, warming up or overheating. Without a cooling system temperature sensor, engine computers have zero info to determine engine temps. A reader capable of displaying cooling system temps is a good way to see what actual operating temps are and help with troubleshooting.

As a rule, the majority of engine computers are fine. To deflect from inexperience, many will blame engine computers instead of attempting to determine why a cooling fan stays running.........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
philsplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsplace View Post
Hello,

I have had an issue with the engine fan on my 06 Vue 3.5L not shutting down. I was told that the ECM was bad but they did not know how to fix it because it was not supported by the manufacturer anymore.
Q: If i locate one from the same model year and engine size, can it be replaced? I have had not luck locating a new one. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Thanks for the response.
Yes, i have seen that the ECM for these model years are replaceable and can be flashed. Unfortunately, I have been unable to get a solid response on whether the the ECM for the 06 3.5L can be flashed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help philsplace reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #6
philsplace

Quote:
Thanks for the response.
Yes, i have seen that the ECM for these model years (2.2L) are replaceable and can be flashed. Unfortunately, I have been unable to get a solid response on whether the ECM for the 06 3.5L can be flashed.
The shop i used have always been fairly dependable in the past. I was told that they had contacted the local dealerships but knowone could tell them if the part could be replaced. Seems that the shelves are bare when it comes to this particular ECM. I was hoping if i found an ECM from the same engine and model year, that it could possibly be swapped without being flashed? Thank you all in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Thanks for the response.
Yes, i have seen that the ECM for these model years are replaceable and can be flashed. Unfortunately, I have been unable to get a solid response on whether the the ECM for the 06 3.5L can be flashed.
Iím not following. Of course the EMC can be flashed. Thatís how itís updated and configured. If you have an mdi interface you can buy a single vin subscription for a year for around $40 from ac Delco and flash it yourself with the same software the dealer uses.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
philsplace

I found a company that was able to fix the ECM without having to have it re-programmed. Sent in my ECM and it was returned 24 hours after they received it. The name of the company is G7Computers.

Thanks all for the responses

REWARD EXCELLENCE!