SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2018, 02:50 AM   #1
Jknocker
Jknocker is on a distinguished road

Default Transmission issues

Hi guys,

I'm new here and have a question. A friend of mine has an 03 saturn vue 4 cylinder. We went outta town and I noticed while driving that when cruising (not accelerating just holding a steady speed) the car was revving 3 grand. Slowed down and sped back up and same thing. Sped up and then slowed down and still the same thing. Dash showed a limp mode mil light as well as the service engine mil light. Got off the highway and got a stop sign. Hit the gas and nothing. Took about 45 seconds to clear the intersection and turn. Car accelerated like ****. Pulled over a few times. Turned the car on and off a few times. At one point the car wouldnt move period. Turning the car off and waiting a few minutes made the limp mode light go away and it hasn't returned but the check engine light is still on. Finally made it to where we were going. Spent about 2 hours and then got back in the car. Car worked normally for about 5 minutes then the same crap. 45 min drive took about an hour and a half. Managed to get it back to her place and parked it. Told her to take it in to have the codes checked the next day. She tried and the car would not go into reverse. I bought a obd scan tool and it through a p0700 code (Transmission Control system (MIL request)) and a p0701 (transmission control system range/performance.)

I googled those codes and they come back to the TCM. So I looked online and found a few parts for a decent price. Told my friend to call local places for prices. Personally I'll spend 20 more to get a part today vs 3 days to a week ordering online. Anyway the person she talked to at the parts place couldnt find the part in their system. Told her there is no way that could be the issue, to take her car in for a real diagnosis and told her that engine codes arnt specific enough to tell you what to replace and other bs.

So my questions are: has anyone else had this issue? Will replacing the TCM fix this issue. Is it worth it to replace the TCM or should it be taken in to be looked at? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated. I also would like to apologize for bad formatting and other errors. I'm on a mobile and me and the autocorrect on this phone do not get alone lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jknocker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jknocker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Transmission issues

How many miles?? What transmission??

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jknocker View Post
So my questions are: has anyone else had this issue? Will replacing the TCM fix this issue. Is it worth it to replace the TCM or should it be taken in to be looked at? Any other advice?
I'm afraid that pos VTi tranny has bit the dust . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTi_transmission

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

I was going to say that, but wanted to verify thats what he had :-( :-(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
I was going to say that, but wanted to verify thats what he had :-( :-(
Had to be if it was an '03 4 cyl automatic. I almost bought one, but fortunately opted for the V6.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-11-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
Jknocker

Thanks for the info guys. What would you suggest doing? Is it worth trying to rebuild the tranny or getting one from a local junk yard? Or is it worth just getting a new vehicle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jknocker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Part that thing out or put it on Craigslist for $500 and take the first offer over $250. I can get clean good running 3.5L Vues for $1,000 all day long. Not worth spending any more money on it if you're paying someone to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:06 AM   #8
Jknocker

I was going to attempt to do the work my self. I've never rebuilt a tranny before but I've seen the process and I'm good at following directions with close attention to detail. I have assisted in pulling a tranny before but it was from out of a flatbed and put in a wrecker.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2018, 05:48 AM   #9
waiter21
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 2.2L

I'd be very wary about a junk yard tranny VTi, it may be bad or getting ready to fail.

If you have a place to work on it, it might be worth "your" time to do it..

Look around on YouTube there should be videos of rebuilding that trans..

Another option would be swapping the VTi for a 5 speed manual.. Probably about the same amount of cost and time..

Sadly, there is no good solution.

My 2003 started life as a VTi , the Previous Owner did a very good 5 speed swap but never got it running. I was able to get it running and have since put a lot of time and money into it.. We use it as our toad (tow behind our motorhome)

New timing chain and components
New clutch, slave, and pressure plate.
new brake hoses, pads, shoes, calipers
new shocks/struts
new front wheel bearings
new front "K" frame (engine cradle)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #10
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
Another option would be swapping the VTi for a 5 speed manual..
And if you don't want a manual, most folks swap in an AF23 . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...15#post2183215
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130775
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153388
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?p=2007896

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jknocker View Post
I was going to attempt to do the work my self. I've never rebuilt a tranny before but I've seen the process and I'm good at following directions with close attention to detail. I have assisted in pulling a tranny before but it was from out of a flatbed and put in a wrecker.
You might have second thoughts about rebuilding a VTI xmission. There's a nine part video done by a very experienced xmission rebuilder that rebuilt and modified one to improve on its weaknesses. Somewhere along the way, the weak parts are revealed with mods done (and shown). I asked how well mods held up with a reply but no long term report. Others have tried following his videos......

questioning3; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixObip4qzrk

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote