SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
odiaz1831
odiaz1831 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Brake Light in Cluster Not On

Hey guys. My brake light doesnt come on when i engage my e brake. It used to before. I read its not a replaceable bulb? So is there something else i could check? E brake works fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to odiaz1831's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help odiaz1831 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
odiaz1831 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2018, 02:06 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Brake Light in Cluster Not On

Remove the 2 (?) screws at the rear of the console....you should have access to a switch at the e-brake base.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

toggenburg may be right but test the park brake switch first. If I'm not mistaken, daytime running lights operate with several inputs, one of them being the park brake switch. With headlights OFF or Auto position for automatic DRLs, shifting out of Park position, ignition on and releasing the parking brake should turn on daytime running lights with the DRL indicator (green) on. If the DRL indicator turns on then the park brake switch is working.

LEDs are not replaceable. They're driven by the bcm, abs pcm and airbag modules.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg instrument panel.jpg (142.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Inst panel schematic.jpg (107.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: gif park brake switch.gif (29.6 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
gveinot
gveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

while driving, carefully and slowly lift the e-brake up just a bit and see if the chime goes off. If the switch is working the chime will go off. If the chime and light do not work, I'd say it is the switch. If the chime goes off, the switch is ok and it must be LED or wiring related to the dash. I have re-lamped two S Series Dashes from bulbs to LED and I have never seen the Emergency Brake LED fail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

Also see if your daytime running lights go out, little green notification on top left corner of the cluster. If they go out when you set the E-Brake, then the sensor is fine and your bulb is out. If they remain on, then it is the switch in the console.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:41 PM   #6
odiaz1831

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Thanks guys. I knew i noticed something was off with my DRL. With the car parked and lights all the way to off, i get no DRL. Before they would be on, and go off with brake. Now theyre just not on. I also didnt even know i had a DRL cluster light. I see no green light on my cluster. Even when i first start the car.

Chime goes off when driving if i slowly lift on the e brake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help odiaz1831 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2018, 11:48 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiaz1831 View Post
Thanks guys. I knew i noticed something was off with my DRL. With the car parked and lights all the way to off, i get no DRL. Before they would be on, and go off with brake. Now theyre just not on. I also didnt even know i had a DRL cluster light. I see no green light on my cluster. Even when i first start the car.
The DRL indicator does not turn on while parked, ignition on, parking brake pulled up. Releasing the park brake, ignition on should turn on DRLs. Review procedures again for DRL operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiaz1831 View Post
Chime goes off when driving if i slowly lift on the e brake.
If you mean chimes are heard when in gear and car's moving while pulling up slightly on the park brake lever (release button pressed) then the park brake switch is operating as designed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2018, 11:52 PM   #8
gveinot
gveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

since the chime goes off, your e-brake switch is ok.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:21 AM   #9
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Sorry if this is a little off topic but I've had a question about this chime our Saturns have for a while now but I didn't feel like it was important enough for a new thread.

I know the chime goes off when you first turn the key to run, or if you leave your lights on/leave the key in the ignition. Is there supposed to be a chime for the seatbelt though too? I've searched the forms before and it seems like some people have it and some don't so maybe it's year specific? Would the chime that goes off with the ebrake be year specific too? I was driving for about 30 seconds once before I realized I still had the ebrake pulled up one tic to turn off the DRL while sitting is a parking lot for a while. Ive never cared if there is or isn't an idiot chime for things like this, I've just wondered about it more than I probably should.

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 109K miles

Last edited by Zeebins; 09-25-2018 at 12:26 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:23 AM   #10
odiaz1831

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
The DRL indicator does not turn on while parked, ignition on, parking brake pulled up. Releasing the park brake, ignition on should turn on DRLs. Review procedures again for DRL operation.

If you mean chimes are heard when in gear and car's moving while pulling up slightly on the park brake lever (release button pressed) then the park brake switch is operating as designed.
I see what i did wrong. Sorry late at night. But yeah, car with lights off, shift into drive, DRL are on. Pull e brake, they go off. If the car is moving in gear and i raise the e brake slowly it causes the chime to go off. Still no DRL green light in cluster though. Oh yeah, and honestly i cant even see the DRL cutout for the light in the cluster. Top left inly has service with a key, and service engine soon lights.

Sincw we've verified the switch works, we can signify its a wiring issue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #11
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Diagram showing locations, in case it is needed.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...09&postcount=2

Every single bulb lights up when you first turn the car on, as a "bulb check" before starting. If one of the bulbs/LEDs is burnt out / inoperable, a "service wrench" light is supposed to come on.

I know you mentioned being a broke student with no place to work but for about $25 or so, and a few hours at a junkyard, you can swap out your 2001 cluster with another S-series, or from a Pontiac Torrent/Chevy Equinox / Saturn Vue / L series for different looks (some limitations).

my torrent gauges
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...postcount=5201

how to remove (I think I skipped steps 2, 4, and 5)
http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...02cluster.html

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here are wiring diagrams for the park brake switch and low brake fluid switch. Grounding each switch sends a ground signal to the body control module. The bcm sends a digital signal to turn on the brake light led in the instrument panel. Disconnect the brake master cylinder low brake fluid wires and insert a wire jumper across the connector pins, turn on ignition and see if the brake light turns on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif.jpg (42.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg TifToGif (1).jpg (53.6 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!