SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default "Change oil" light on few days after oil change

I got a conventional oil change a while back and i just got another one a couple days ago. But, this time around after a day or two the change engine light came onand no matter how many times I reset it it pops back on shortly after. Is this because I got those two conventional oil changes instead of synthetic? The fuy who did my oil change a few days ago said a conventional oil change is like a downgrade

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to that1man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help that1man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
that1man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: "Change oil" light on few days after oil change

My limited knowledge tells me from many Saturn service manuals that the oil change program cannot tell the difference if using regular, mixed, synthetic, diesel, kerosene, bunker oil or heating oil. GMs oil change program is not quite sophisticated yet to determine what oil is being used. Why anyone tells you one oil is different from another from GMs OCI program is just hearsay, rumor mongering, starting a new old wives tale, outright lie, telling a customer what they want to hear. In other words, he doesn't know the answer.

Did you read/review your owner's manual on resetting the oil change indicator?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1man View Post
I got a conventional oil change a while back and i just got another one a couple days ago. But, this time around after a day or two the change engine light came onand no matter how many times I reset it it pops back on shortly after. Is this because I got those two conventional oil changes instead of synthetic? The fuy who did my oil change a few days ago said a conventional oil change is like a downgrade
Did you mean the check engine light or the change oil light/message?

There is nothing in the engine that physically analyzes the oil. GM's OCI is just an algorithm based on engine operating temperature (coolant), engine RPM and ambient temperature. Like fdryer suggested, it can't tell the difference what oil you used.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 179K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 190K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #4
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post

Did you read/review your owner's manual on resetting the oil change indicator?
Actually i have and you just reminded me of how it's supposed to be done. I just did it. Before, i didn't do it right

Disregard this post!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to that1man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help that1man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
that1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

LOL!? I was hoping for your reply. We all make mistakes. Some are easy and simple to correct. The others.........can be costly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote