SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
Reliabilityman
Reliabilityman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Fuel line rupturing- Overpressure???

Just recently I have had both the fuel filter line between the filter and the fuel injector rail rupture and had the fuel line from the fuel tank to the fuel filter rupture. I haven't had the time to look into what is causing this, but could it be a clogged emission gas return line to the charcoal canister? The OEM fuel line was replaced due to deteriorating 3 years ago, and the fuel filter was changed at that time too. Less than 15,000 since those repairs. Now things are rupturing.. any pointers on what to look at?

Thanks in advance

1995 Saturn SL1 Owned since new
356,000 Miles Original Clutch, Back Brakes

2000 L Series Owned since new
153,000 Miles, Melted Fuse Box, Randomly Opening Trunk, Leaking AC condensate into cabin,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Reliabilityman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Reliabilityman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Reliabilityman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Fuel line rupturing- Overpressure???

Are you describing metal or rubber fuel lines rupturing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
Reliabilityman

1995 SL1
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Are you describing metal or rubber fuel lines rupturing?
The oem ones are sort of hard plastic rubberish? for sure not metal. Not a soft rubber like what is on my 70's cars back in the day.

153,000 Miles, Melted Fuse Box, Randomly Opening Trunk, Leaking AC condensate into cabin,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Reliabilityman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2018, 01:14 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Are you talking about your 95 S or the 2000 L?
Living in the midwest, if it's steel, watch for RUST due to winter salt, and gravel striking the weakened, rusty steel.

If rubber/plastic, watch out for gravel roads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
Reliabilityman

1995 SL1
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Are you talking about your 95 S or the 2000 L?
Living in the midwest, if it's steel, watch for RUST due to winter salt, and gravel striking the weakened, rusty steel.

If rubber/plastic, watch out for gravel roads.
95 S series SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reliabilityman View Post
The oem ones are sort of hard plastic rubberish? for sure not metal. Not a soft rubber like what is on my 70's cars back in the day.
Many like myself aren't aware of GMs hard plastic fuel lines. They're nylon, according to service manuals. They're assembled with heat to soften ends prior to fitting over steel lines, shrinking over the barbed lines. They're more or less permanent and not flexible. Replacing them requires heat to soften them for removal. A heat gun. Hard nylon lines. All GM vehicles use it since its either hard nylon or fuel pressure rated rubber lines. EFI fuel systems have pressures between 35-60 psi with Saturns around 40-50 psi. If you didn't use high pressure fuel hoses rated for high pressures......

Old style fuel systems with carburetors only needed less than 10 psi to feed them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #7
Reliabilityman

1995 SL1
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

No, they were replaced with a doorman OEM style line. Also that wouldn't explain the line which is a part of the fuel filer assembly rupturing like it did as well as the line under the drivers side of the vehicle. They are nylon not rubber like I stated above-my mistake- I couldn't think of the right material.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2018, 02:26 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Nylon fuel lines are known to crack in the most inaccessible place, on top of the fuel tank. Several members have reported fuel odors only to find out sooner or later the fuel leak and odor came from the tank. Dropping the tank revealed a cracked fuel line, nylon.

My L300 uses nylon fuel lines among with steel lines and two rubber fuel hoses. The larger fuel hose is a plain fuel feed line between the fuel fill pipe and tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2018, 04:47 PM   #9
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Can you take and post a picture of these ruptures?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
Reliabilityman

1995 SL1
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Yes, but it is basically on the fuel filter line and the fuel line under the seat of the operator/driver. I also noticed 2 times before refueling when removing the gas cap it was venting off very loudly from the tank. That's why I think its getting over pressured along with the 2 ruptures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are you able to connect a fuel pressure gauge yet? Autozone may have a loaner if you don't have one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #12
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Dorman has questionable quality on some items, but they are one of the only manufacturers of discontinued parts. I ran into this issue with their emergency brake cable bracket that goes to the hand brake. It was incorrectly sized and I had to use the stock bracket, which was too narrow for the Dorman cable diameters. The rubber boots to the body did not fit the frame of my floor pan, either.

OEM lines are nylon-reinforced plastic lines, that are heat shrunk. The nylon reinforcement is better at preventing the plastic from becoming too brittle over time(kinda how the radiator tanks eventually split at the fitting for the upper hose).

The Dorman lines are likely just HDPE(High-Density Polyethylene) which means they are going to be rather brittle and will get worse over time.

Under the car, a piece of gravel could easily puncture a line under 50 psi of pressure. The one going from the filter to the rail, though?

I wouldn't think a clogged return line, and charcoal canisters only trap fuel vapor and have no liquid in them. Plus, the FPR is right on the rail, so I don't see overpressure being an issue, unless you have tried to adjust the FPR.

What I would recommend would be going to a local yard, and seeing if you can find a 1995-1997 SL model, and see if they will let you pull the fuel lines you need.

From what I am reading, it may be a good idea to avoid the Dorman replacement lines for these cars.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #13
Reliabilityman

1995 SL1
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I have replaced the line from the tank to the filter and also the filter to the fuel rail. I rented a fuel pressure gage from LAPS and will check the pressure tonight. Wondering if the cap vents on this system and perhaps the cap venting is malfunctioning causing the system to overpressurize?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #14
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Again, pictures of the "pressure ruptures" may give some good clues. It is unlikely that the FP can develop enough pressure, under any circumstances (that use just the stock 12V auto electrical supply), to rupture a fuel line that small. And, that means a line made of pretty much any plastic, rubber, or metal. Obviously, the fuel pressure readings are vital to reduce the guessing here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #15
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
Dorman has questionable quality on some items, but they are one of the only manufacturers of discontinued parts. I ran into this issue with their emergency brake cable bracket that goes to the hand brake. It was incorrectly sized and I had to use the stock bracket, which was too narrow for the Dorman cable diameters. The rubber boots to the body did not fit the frame of my floor pan, either.

OEM lines are nylon-reinforced plastic lines, that are heat shrunk. The nylon reinforcement is better at preventing the plastic from becoming too brittle over time(kinda how the radiator tanks eventually split at the fitting for the upper hose).

The Dorman lines are likely just HDPE(High-Density Polyethylene) which means they are going to be rather brittle and will get worse over time.

Under the car, a piece of gravel could easily puncture a line under 50 psi of pressure. The one going from the filter to the rail, though?

I wouldn't think a clogged return line, and charcoal canisters only trap fuel vapor and have no liquid in them. Plus, the FPR is right on the rail, so I don't see overpressure being an issue, unless you have tried to adjust the FPR.

What I would recommend would be going to a local yard, and seeing if you can find a 1995-1997 SL model, and see if they will let you pull the fuel lines you need.

From what I am reading, it may be a good idea to avoid the Dorman replacement lines for these cars.
The best fix is to just go out and buy the proper fittings and line from the industrial supply to build proper replacements. Just not cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #16
Reliabilityman

1995 SL1
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Again, pictures of the "pressure ruptures" may give some good clues. It is unlikely that the FP can develop enough pressure, under any circumstances (that use just the stock 12V auto electrical supply), to rupture a fuel line that small. And, that means a line made of pretty much any plastic, rubber, or metal. Obviously, the fuel pressure readings are vital to reduce the guessing here.
Tried to upload a file and it wouldn't go. I did check the pressures. 42 PSI with key on and 40 while running so in spec. I replaced both lines at the filter and the line under the vehicle. So far so good. Old line only lasted 3 years

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2018, 02:24 PM   #17
Reliabilityman

1995 SL1
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

IMG_4248.JPG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!