SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2018, 12:47 AM   #1
claybear
claybear will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Needing Fuel Tank Shield

Anyone know of a good salvage yard source or possibly new part source for the fuel tank shield for a 2002 L-series? I'm replacing the fuel pump (and brake lines and parking brake cable and muffler) and cannot reuse the shield removed from my LW200. Image attached should be obvious. Anyway, through email I've reached out to several salvage yards in AZ and NM but need to follow up with phone call because none have replied - no surprise. Just trying to keep this vehicle going for two more years to get my daughter through high school. We've owned it since new but WI winters take their toll. Any tips would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2611.jpg (168.5 KB, 15 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to claybear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help claybear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
claybear is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2018, 01:37 AM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Needing Fuel Tank Shield

claybear, I'd suggest the following:

1) Use an OEM parts website, https://www.gmpartscenter.net/, for example, and compare the shield part numbers between the sedans and wagons. If they use the same number then you'll have a wider number of parts to find. If not, then that "world" of parts available is simply smaller.

2) Use http://www.car-part.com/, a parts website for wrecking yards, to help you find where this shield may be found nearest to you or at other locations around the country.

(3] If you'd like some help beyond this from someone like me in CA then I'd be happy to assist. Send me a private message (p/m) through SaturnFans.)

298,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 09-24-2018 at 01:47 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Mine looks similar but remains on the car. Still passes NYS vehicle inspection so my guess is as long as the plastic fuel tank remains intact, the shield is just a cover. I removed my muffler heat shield earlier in the year and haven't got around to reinstalling it. My guess is all the mounting holes on the shield rusted thru as it partially fell off while was driving home from local trip to the market, dragging on the street and making a racket. Same thin gauge metal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As you live in the rust belt, I suspect all the shields in the JY's near you will be in the same condition.

After we bought my son's 2003 L300 we discovered that although we are in Florida, the car spent some time in the North and came with the no cost option of rust.

When I discovered that I spent some time checking out the underneath and as with yours, the tank shield and muffler heat shield were in a sorry state. We went to a local JY and found a Florida L series and took off the shields and straps. I then cleaned them up and gave them several coats of spray paint. My indo garage fitted them for me. I was under the car at the weekend and the shields + straps are probably the things in the best condition there!!

As for suggestions, I can make only 2; one would be to try and source replacements from a rust free area or to try and fabricate locally that would at least do the shielding bit. it doesn't have to be a clone, just something that can protect the tanks.

My son's car was bought for him in HS. He's got 3 year more years at college, so I'm working to try and make it last till he graduates.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I found mine at a junk yard and it was ok little rusted but I sprayed rust treatment and it looks ok now. But I was lucky some others I found were far worse and just like falling apart.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:14 PM   #6
claybear

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Thanks all for the replies. Yes, all the salvage yard parts in the upper midwest that I have contacted either have no shields or they are steel dust. Still need to follow up on the AZ and NM yards and should try some other states also that do not use much or any salt on the roads. I do think that all the L series vehicles use the same shield so that helps a little. Only concerned with the tunnels through which the exhaust is routed to protect the tank from the heat. Do not really know how warm the exhaust is at that point but I would rather be overly cautious with my daughter driving the car. The other heat shields are aluminum I think and yes they all corroded around the fastener flanges leaving a disc of aluminum and the same size hole in the shield. SS fender washers should take care of that issue.

Just two more years and we move on to another vehicle. Just two years!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help claybear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I found that on the L series at the rear, there are bolts that are welded on at manufacture which allows things like the heat shields to be attached. However I found on my son's a couple had rusted so bad they had just fallen off, so the shield was flapping. My solution with to drill through where the old bolt/stud was and use a SS nut & bolt and like you use a big SS washer to hold the shield on. That plus liberal caulking has worked BUT of course you were are dealing with the prospect of bi-metallic corrosion something I think the designers didn't take into account when attaching aluminum to steel bolts/studs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #8
claybear

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Good news folks! TN came through. I like winter sports but having to work on cars here makes me kind a long for a more southern latitude.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_0.jpg (126.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_0-1.jpg (107.8 KB, 13 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
64waves
64waves has a spectacular aura about64waves has a spectacular aura about64waves has a spectacular aura about

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Hello! That is gorgeous. I want to get mine replaced as well, I have a 2.2 and 3.0 L series. Can you share the contact info for the yard you used. I would appreciate it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 64waves's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 64waves reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
64waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #10
64waves
64waves has a spectacular aura about64waves has a spectacular aura about64waves has a spectacular aura about

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Just did the Car-part.com site, crossing my fingers!! I would love to have 2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 64waves reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2018, 02:35 AM   #11
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybear View Post
...I do think that all the L series vehicles use the same shield so that helps a little...
And apparently you've found a good one!

Well, so no one has to wonder: according to the OEM parts website I referred to in post #2, regardless of engine size or body type, all L-Series cars from '00-'05 use the same fuel tank heat shield (p/n 22699289 [NLA]).

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 12-05-2018 at 02:41 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #12
64waves

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I was wondering about that, I have several requests out to different areas right now. I will expand the years on them. No replies yet. Pierrot let me know if your offer to assist on the west coast is still valid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-09-2018, 12:03 AM   #13
claybear

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

64waves. Sorry that I didn't see this earlier. Here is the URL for the salvage yard:

http://charliesusedautoparts.com

When I was doing my search I used the fuel tank as the part to search for then asked about the shield. Live chatting or calling got responses - email messages did not.

Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #14
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I suspect you want a shield from a 2001-2005. The 2000 model year had a smaller fuel tank and the exhaust routing was across the bottom rather than around the driver’s side. If I part any more cars I will save the “tin” it went out with the scrap metal. I do have an automatic sub frame out with zero rust. It still has the v-6 powertrain bolted to it. And I have a stick shift sub frame that I was keeping as a spare in case I needed it. I have complete suspension assemblies also. I have completely disassembled three cars and have most of the parts. These parts are in Oregon so freight on large items need to be considered.
Andy

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #15
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64waves View Post
I was wondering about that, I have several requests out to different areas right now. I will expand the years on them. No replies yet. Pierrot let me know if your offer to assist on the west coast is still valid.
Just in case anyone wonders, his post wasn't ignored. I have found heat shields in CA as I've been communicating with 64waves via p/m to assist. The wrecking yard isn't local to me, but has been helpful each time I'vecontacted them. One way or the other, the part he needs will be secured.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #16
64waves

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Hi Pierrot, your message area is full, so I can't send you any more messages.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #17
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I just opened up some space. Please try to send the message. My apologies...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #18
64waves

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thank you, messages sent. Funny I can't see my sent messages in the message area. So I may have sent something twice to make sure. Thanks again for all the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!