SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Right Side Drive Axle Seal.

I had to replace my flex plate for the 2nd time since April. Anyway, I have a axle seal leaking on that RT. side. I looked inside the old seal and there was a round spring around the axle stub shaft that wasn't attached to anything. The new seal doesn't have anything like that with it. I see on YouTube this isn't going to be an easy job to do. Where did this round spring come from and where does it go ? I've never done this and figure it's going to cost me quite a bit of cash if I have to have a shop do it. The YT video didn't have any thing like this when removed. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Chaz9496; 09-23-2018 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: Added Comment

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chaz9496's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chaz9496 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chaz9496 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Right Side Drive Axle Seal.

Google cv axle seal images. You're likely to see many. Descriptions may explain a double seal with a garter spring. The spring you found is probably from the damaged seal losing its inner seal and may be the reason for seeing it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Right Side Drive Axle Seal.

fdryer's remark about a garter spring from the old axle shaft seal seems likely to me. It is difficult to tell from the pictures of the seals from RockAuto.com whether or not those springs are present. Considering that your new part doesn't have any spring around the inner lip of the seal it's possible that the seal was redesigned at some point in time.

298,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote