SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2018, 02:18 AM   #1
Bearded1mx3
Bearded1mx3 will become famous soon enough

Default Just Swapping Heads Sohc to DOHC...2 parter

Car in discussion is a 1997 Saturn SL1 5 speed.

So I'm about to acquire a car Ima sell. Ima put some money into the Saturn and give it to my girlfriend as her first car. I want to fix it up. I love in an apartment complex so an engine swap is out of the question. So I'm just going to get a JY DOHC head and have it machined up. What else do I need to grab to slap this head on in my parking lot. I know its be cheaper and easier to just swap the engine but I dont have a hoist and an engine swing around the parking lot is far from inconspicuous lol. I'll JY the parts if I feel I can get away with it ie. Brackets and such. If someone can inform me as to what parts are needed for just the head swap.

Part 2

Aside from the head swap I also need I also need to put an auto in this thing. My question is do I need to swap the ECU. Or what is it I need for a ...forgive me for acting this great Dogbone Gods. ...a Manual to Automatic swap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bearded1mx3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bearded1mx3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bearded1mx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Just Swapping Heads Sohc to DOHC...2 parter

The short answer is to sell the 97 and go find a good Saturn with a good automatic in it now. What you are trying to do is not recommended as your first DIY swap, way too many different issues to solve. You will spend more money trying this swap than you will by cleaning up the 97 and buying another car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
Bearded1mx3
Bearded1mx3 will become famous soon enough

Yeah uhh... first swap? Appreciate the sentiment Nuc but I can handle a few issues if someone would be kind enough to point them out. As far as getting a different car. My girlfriend is attached to this one. Plus I dont want to deal with titles and registration and all that stuff that comes with a new car. The swap is because I want to and simply enjoy doing stuff like that I dont care about cost efficiency either just want to put a dohc and an auto here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bearded1mx3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bearded1mx3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bearded1mx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Use the large search box in the top center of this page, search for the following: SOHC DOHC head swap and manual auto swap these 2 separate searches will pull up the vast majority of how this is done. Kep in mind the 96 and 97 PCM hardware is identical but the firmware is not and any replacement PCM must match the vehicle year and all selectable options with the exception of the engine as it will function with either DOHC or SOHC, what will have to match is the trans --either economy or performance. SOHC is economy and DOHC is performance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

This, in reverse, for the trans

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...anny_swap.html

(minor differences because you have a 2nd gen)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote