SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2018, 12:53 AM   #1
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2
Default Manual Fan Switch

Hello all,
I know this has been covered, but I cannot find information for wiring it up to the pod switches. My car does not have trac, or fog lights, so I would like to use one of those. I was mainly thinking of using the tracton control switch on the pod, but is the switch strong enough for it? I read that I have to wire it from the switch to the relay, then the switch to ground. Where is a good place to ground it? Do I have to ground it in the fuse box? So, do I need to run two wires? And also, will the light for the switch work or will it just not come on? Is it possible to wire up the switch so that it works the fan and the little light?
Thanks for any input,
Chris

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2018, 01:25 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Manual Fan Switch

Which car? Is ac dead (a short cut to a manual fan switch with only one mod).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
cgg17

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

My bad.
The car is a 1995 Sl2, so it has the pod switches above the radio. The AC works but I rarely use it, would rather have a manual fan switcu. I get stuck in traffic alot now that I commute to school, and I do not like engaging and disengaging my AC to get the fan to run.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, you can have your cake and eat it using the ac button, one way to have manual fan cooling with or without ac. To have it both ways requires several easy steps but must be strictly followed to avoid ac compressor damage. As you know, hot weather and ac use is available at the touch of a button. If you do not want ac but like the idea of using the same ac button to turn on the cooling fan without ac, you can disable the power connection to the compressor and insert a wire jumper to the ac pressure switch - this disables compressor operation while allowing you to have a manual fan switch via the ac button. To reverse this mod and return to ac cooling simply means removing the jumper wire in the ac pressure sensor, reconnecting the sensor and compressor.

To ensure correct setup, the compressor and pressure sensor connections with visible labeling will act as reminders of two things to modify for bypassing ac to have a manual cooling fan setup or return to ac use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #5
cgg17

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

I do not want to use the A/C Button, I want to wire it to the switch up top (the Traction control) which my car does not have. I have a spare switch with TRAC, but the car itself doesnt have it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

If you simply un- plug the a/ c compressor - then when you turn on the a/ c inside the car - the compressor won' t run- but the cooling fan will.

I think......

92 SC2
93 SC2
93 SW2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
3 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ There's only one problem - if ac is dead, as in no compressor operation, the pressure sensor most likely detected a loss of refrigerant and disables compressor operation. When this occurs, the pcm will not turn on fan cooling. Fan cooling is always turned on when compressors run except when ac is lost (leak). The pcm knows from the pressure sensor whether to run the cooling fan or not. Bypassing the pressure sensor ensures manual fan operation whether ac works or not. For many not wanting ac, their system isn't running at all and no desire to repair ac, bypassing the sensor and disconnecting power to the compressor works as a manual cooling fan switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg17 View Post
I get stuck in traffic alot now that I commute to school, and I do not like engaging and disengaging my AC to get the fan to run.
It's normal in your year and older Saturns for the temp gauge to read roughly 3/4 (~220F) before the fan turns on.

Is the fan not turning on then?

Bad ECTS is the normal reason for "fan works but need AC pushed for it to come on" but you've been a member long enough to know about this issue

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #9
cgg17

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

I'm doing it regardless. My ects is fine, my ac is fine. I want to know how to wire it to my traction control switch which is currently not in use. I want manual control with s factory look. So, how would I wire my pin 86 from the realy to the switch to ground?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2018, 06:03 PM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

You run the switch through a custom programmed Arduino which then turns on the fan. It's not a 'lock' on/off switch, it's a momentary switch...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #11
cgg17

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

So it is not possible with the current Trac switch?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2018, 06:43 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
I'm doing it regardless. My ects is fine, my ac is fine. I want to know how to wire it to my traction control switch which is currently not in use. I want manual control with s factory look. So, how would I wire my pin 86 from the realy to the switch to ground?
Relay terminals 85 and 86 are the control side of the fan relay. Which terminal is HOT/12v? The other terminal is pcm switched ground, the side you can wire your unused TC switch to ground. Below is a representative wiring diagram for the S-series and may not be accurate with labeling but can be used in general. The blue box is the cooling fan relay circuit. Pins 85 and 85 are 12v and pcm switched ground. I don't know which pin is the switched pcm ground signal to activate the relay, turning on the fan. If you connect to either 85 or 86, you can insert the wire directly into the relay socket before inserting the relay and run the wire to the TC switch. Whichever terminal is switched pcm ground, you can test the circuit by using a one amp fuse in this circuit and ground the wire to see if the fan turns on. If you find the correct switched terminal and testing turns on the cooling fan, you can wire the TC switch to any chassis ground point. Whether or not an error code appears won't be known.

Do not ground the HOT side of this relay - the 30 amp cooling fan fuse will blow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif (1).jpg (130.5 KB, 1 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #13
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The only button of the 3 that is an actual switch is the defroster switch. You can wire it up to the TRAC button if you want, but the fan will only be on while you hold the button down.

Pins:
L - Dimmer (-)
M - Dimmer (+) (might be mixed with the dimmer pos/neg)
H - Ground
A - Fog Relay control (+)
B - Fog Relay control (-) I think (don't have access to the full diagrams right now)

Not sure what the other pins are for, but this should help narrow it down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #14
cgg17

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

Well, I am going to scrap that idea until next summer I guess. I did not know it was a momentary switch, and I do not want a toggle switch. I want to keep a factory look.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
......The car is a 1995 Sl2...... The AC works but I rarely use it, would rather have a manual fan switch. I get stuck in traffic a lot now that I commute to school, and I do not like engaging and disengaging my AC to get the fan to run.
Unless you're overheating and see coolant steaming, you may be overly concerned. Presuming the cooling system is working as designed, the two wire coolant sensor is the flat nosed brass one, t-stat replaced and temperature gauge needle is between 3/8ths and a little over the 1/2 mark, your'e cooling system is fine.

If you rarely use ac and insist on a manual fan switch, the previous suggestion still applies with an easier and reversible procedure that disables compressor operation until you want ac cooling again. Nothing is damaged and controls remains in stock condition without rewiring anything. Remember, the slight mod suggested previously does no harm to the ac system and is completely reversible to restore ac function. A simpler one step procedure (that's reversible at any time) is given below.

Step-1. You can disconnect the power connector to the ac compressor, remove either the ac (10 amp?) fuse or ac relay. This disables compressor operation for as long as you don't need ac cooling. If you need ac cooling, reverse what was disconnected or removed.

You now have a manual fan switch by simply pressing the ac button without having ac cooling. Only the cooling fan is turned on. You can verify it by looking for zero compressor operation as the fan turns on. Press the ac button again to turn off the fan.

To reverse and restore ac cooling, simply reconnect the compressor connector, ac fuse or ac relay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!