SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
Hiram_32
Hiram_32 has a spectacular aura aboutHiram_32 has a spectacular aura aboutHiram_32 has a spectacular aura about

Question 02 SL2--Clicking from driver side tire: Bad tie rod? CV joint?

For a few months now, I've been noticing clicking from the driver side tire when applying the break, and turning left. Been trying to suss out the culprit, so hence this post. Please feel free to weigh in with any suggestions.

FWIW, it should be noted that new brakes and caliper were installed back in Jan on the driver side tire.

Thank you!

Last edited by Hiram_32; 09-20-2018 at 03:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiram_32's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiram_32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hiram_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
Casper50
Casper50 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC1
2000 SL2
Default Re: 02 SL2--Clicking from driver side tire: Bad tie rod? CV joint?

It only happens while braking and turning left at the same time? Is the clicking constant, come and go, change with speed? Any clicking in reverse while turning?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Casper50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Casper50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Casper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
Hiram_32
Hiram_32 has a spectacular aura aboutHiram_32 has a spectacular aura aboutHiram_32 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
It only happens while braking and turning left at the same time? Is the clicking constant, come and go, change with speed? Any clicking in reverse while turning?
I always notice when I first start the car and shift into reverse. Right when I press the brake to downshift, the sound issues. It also happens when in drive, say when going to stop at a light, it will click. The sound doesn't have a rhythmic quality to it. I will drive around a bit more to better asses how the issue presents itself and update the post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Hiram_32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
Casper50
Casper50 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC1
2000 SL2

It doesn't sound like a cv axle. I have had a brake caliper that would do this but it would only be on brake application.

Sounds to me like it's something with your front left brake if it is only while braking. I would take your tire off and look at it to see if you have anything out of place up there that could slightly drag causing the noise. Could possibly be coming from the rear as it's hard to pinpoint the sounds sometimes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Casper50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Casper50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Casper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

CV joints usually click when steering is partially or fully right or left at low speed. When a full right or left turn in a parking lot is made at low speed, the cv joints are at maximum flex where worn out joints/blown boots stresses the three bearings or steel balls allowing flex joints to transfer power at all steering angles. Google for images of cv joints in one of several configurations so you have an idea of how they work and images of damaged ones. If its not a cv joint then maybe a bent brake shield. When working on brakes, the brake shields rust away and easily bent without realizing it until a strange noise occurs, rubbing against the rotor disc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
... maybe a bent brake shield. When working on brakes, the brake shields rust away and easily bent without realizing it until a strange noise occurs, rubbing against the rotor disc.
A front brake shield was not an option with the S-Series. There are no front brake shields (the Empty Set) on the S-Series.
Rear disc brakes do indeed have a brake shield on the S-Series.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:43 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ How utterly crude!? My L300 has shields on front and rear and guaranteed to make scraping noises when I touch them (15 years of exposure to NYC weather including annual salted roads).

Thanks for the heads up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
Packard
Packard is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

if it were my car id get both front tire off the ground and an inspection. Your gonna need two jack stands to support both tires off ground on flat surface. i would choke the back wheels. take the tires off right side and listen for noises.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #9
Hiram_32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
It doesn't sound like a cv axle. I have had a brake caliper that would do this but it would only be on brake application.

Sounds to me like it's something with your front left brake if it is only while braking. I would take your tire off and look at it to see if you have anything out of place up there that could slightly drag causing the noise. Could possibly be coming from the rear as it's hard to pinpoint the sounds sometimes.
That's a good place to start. I'm confident it's in the front as I can feel something on the driver side tire when the "clicking" happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
Hiram_32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
CV joints usually click when steering is partially or fully right or left at low speed. When a full right or left turn in a parking lot is made at low speed, the cv joints are at maximum flex where worn out joints/blown boots stresses the three bearings or steel balls allowing flex joints to transfer power at all steering angles. Google for images of cv joints in one of several configurations so you have an idea of how they work and images of damaged ones. If its not a cv joint then maybe a bent brake shield. When working on brakes, the brake shields rust away and easily bent without realizing it until a strange noise occurs, rubbing against the rotor disc.
Thank for the feedback on the CV joints. Will work from the caliper on out as Casper suggested above.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #11
Hiram_32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard View Post
if it were my car id get both front tire off the ground and an inspection. Your gonna need two jack stands to support both tires off ground on flat surface. i would choke the back wheels. take the tires off right side and listen for noises.
May be a wise thing to do an inspection as you suggested.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!