SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2018, 04:59 AM   #1
BlueArmz
BlueArmz is on a distinguished road

Happy Correct brake bleeding order

This has probably been brought up before, but just wanted to verify. I've always done furthest from master cylinder to closest. I've also seen a different order for the SL which alternates from back to front, back to front.

Which is correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlueArmz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlueArmz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlueArmz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2018, 06:34 AM   #2
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: Correct brake bleeding order

I did mine furthest to nearest when I rebuilt the '99. When I replaced the front lines on the '98 I only bled the fronts.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There are the brake bleeding pages from the FSM in my photo gallery. It is not as clear as you would think so best to take a look.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:30 AM   #4
Packard
Packard is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

If working on abs even with light on
I bleed mine this way lights were on and it got my brakes working again
bleed the rear bleed screw nearest the master cylinder and then the front one nearest the front of car. I used a vacumm pump never let it sit below 25 inch mercury when i opened the screws. I just pumped it as I opened cause I had no helper. It worked and Ive passed all my inspections since and light and replaced rear wheel cylinder.

Right Rear and left front same circuit
left rear and right front same circuit
Split diag system

Last edited by Packard; 09-23-2018 at 02:35 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

It also depends what method you use.

If using a vacuum pump and a separator ( I do) it really doesn't matter.

If by pumping the brake, holding down while a helper opens, then closes the bleeder - you should do front, then opposite side rear. Then other side, same way.

92 SC2
93 SC2
93 SW2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
3 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Brake fluid bleeding procedures for the majority of dual diagonal brake systems are usually stated in service manuals to bleed from the farthest to closest; left hand drive vehicles with brake master cylinder on the driver's side - right rear and left front, left rear and right front.

The explanation for specific bleeding sequence is to move any air in a line that's farthest away from the master cylinder first. In most cases, this is the right rear. Once the farthest line (r/r) is bled, the left front is bled since these two lines are connected as one half of a dual diagonal line. The left rear is bled then right front.

In theory, bleeding the two rear brakes first then both front appears to be fine with no one reporting issues but following service manual procedures is best.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote