SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2018, 10:22 PM   #1
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Timing chain cover

I want to thank all those whom cautioned "Be careful forcing the cover, you can break it. Don't ask me how I know."
I was able to remove the cover with the P/S pump, alternator and A/C compressor attached to the engine. I did have to remove the water pump to get access to the dowel pin area, but I had planned on replacing it anyways.

The day before removal I sprayed the dowels with Mystery Oil. I started the separation by tapping on a extension placed though holes in the sprockets and against the inside surface of the cover. Than I worked a couple of putty knifes
down the seam to the dowel. There I was stuck. Tried several different things, all of which may have helped: Heat, pounding on the surface of the cover near the dowel and prying against cover outcropping near the dowel.

The recommendation to use a 1 in. x 1 in. x 2 in. long block of wood between the torque strut and cradle is a good one. I could not remove the loose cover from the vehicle until I had removed the excess wood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Timing chain cover

I took one off our 93 SW2. After all the scraped knuckles - I decided it would be less painful to just drop the drive train, rather that struggle putting it back on, in vehicle.

But then, I' m a big old busted up kind of dude. I had to get my sister to get the center bolt. My hands just wouldn't fit.

Also - I have a two post lift - and a drivetrain support stand (I have 2. It makes swapping engines easier)- that makes dropping it out the bottom pretty painless.

Added bonus - when you have the drivetrain out - it makes detail cleaning the engine compartment easy.

I even used Armorall on all the rubber hoses.

92 SC2
93 SC2
93 SW2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
3 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
But then, I' m a big old busted up kind of dude. I had to get my sister to get the center bolt. My hands just wouldn't fit.

Also - I have a two post lift - and a drivetrain support stand (I have 2. It makes swapping engines easier)- that makes dropping it out the bottom pretty painless.

I even used Armorall on all the rubber hoses.

I can't even get the car in the garage to work on it, a two post lift - WOW!

I also have big, busted up hands but since I also took the mount for the top engine support off, and have a good selection of tools, I don't anticipate problems (having time to work on it at a leisurely pace helps too).

How long does Armorall last under the hood? After starting with coarse steel wool on the headlight lenses working down to buffing with a tooth paste like compound, I made a vow to myself to apply Armorall once a month to prevent the UV yellowing caused by the cars being left out in the sun.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #4
00_SL1
00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL2

I used armorall under the hood of my Silverado and just over 2 years ago, with occasional driving, almost no winter driving and then this past spring I started daily driving it quite a bit. Lasted really well and was really clean up to that point.

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 00_SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 00_SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
00_SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote