SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default (Sarcoxiechick ) Manual transmission trouble - '98 SL2

Hey, folks, received a PM from a new member, Sarcoxiechick, as they were having problems/unable to post a new thread. Message as follows:

Quote:
Hi,

I have a 98 S-Series, 5sp.

It will not move while its in any gear, you can see it try but that's it.

I have checked the axles, they are fine.

I checked the hydrolic fluid and tranny fluid and both were full but the hydrolic fluid looks dirty, the tranny fluid looks and smells ok.

I can put the car in gear with the motor off and it won't move but rolls in N.

If I try to put it in gear with it running without pushing the clutch pedal it grinds. I can see and hear all the parts moving so I am at a loss as to what it can be.
Just to clarify symptoms:

1) Car is running. You press down on the clutch, put it into first gear and it goes smoothly. But car barely moves, even if you give it gas? If you give it gas, the engine speed increases (rpms go up) but car barely moves?
Could be a worn clutch. Have you owned this car for long, and how many miles does it have?

2) Clutch hydraulic fluid is dirty? You can suck out some with a turkey baster and refill with fresh DOT3 brake fluid. Just being dirty shouldn't stop the car from moving, though. It's a sealed system so should not be getting dirty - is it filled to the top? If it is hard to shift especially into 1st or reverse while running (and clutch pedal pushed in), I'd start with checking the clutch hydraulics. See this How To in the library
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/new...newthread&f=39

Let us know what you find. If you are unable to reply, send me a PM and I can post for you. Welcome aboard!

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
Sarcoxiechick
Sarcoxiechick is on a distinguished road

Default Re: (Sarcoxiechick ) Manual transmission trouble - '98 SL2

Yes, when i give it gas the RPMs go up, the engine runs great. The car has been sitting in a field for 6 years, threw some gas and a battery in it and it started up and I drove it for 2 months before this problem started. It doesn't appear to have any leaks and I can't smell hot clutch but after tinkering with it a little today it does seem like the clutch is slipping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sarcoxiechick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sarcoxiechick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sarcoxiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:22 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Pretty sure you have 3 main options, not counting internal transmission failure of some kind:
  1. Clutch Slipping
  2. Hydraulics Failed
  3. CV Axle broke in half (not likely for a '91-'99 because they weren't made of junkanium until '00)

#1 & #2 see : Clutch Hydraulics Diagnosis
He specifically calls out the fork that moves the pressure plate and the pressure plate, but overall if the hydraulics are putting out the required amount of travel the engine & trans have to be split so you can see why the clutch isn't releasing.

#3 see: your car lol We can't tell you over the internet if an axle is broke, you'll have to peek behind the front tires to see if the shaft is flopping around or not.

6 years in a field...I wouldn't be surprised if the clutch disc tried to clean up the rust on the transmission input shaft and seized itself into place. Would have expected that within 40 pumps of the pedal though rather than 2 months down the road. Will probably make splitting the engine & transmission even more interesting than it normally is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #4
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
CV Axle broke in half (not likely for a '91-'99 because they weren't made of junkanium until '00)
My '99 axle broke a few years ago. It didn't look broke, no dangly or twisted parts.

Edit: symptoms sound a lot like yours, except the inability to push it in gear with the engine off. I didn't try that. Every gear would give me nothing. I was lucky I was able to coast home after it broke.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

Last edited by Waiex191; 09-19-2018 at 08:05 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If Sarcoxie is in Missouri, do cars corrode and rust sitting in place unused for several years like anything left outside anywhere? 6yrs sitting outdoors can do marvelous things to metals. I tend to think vehicles aren't meant to sit around unused. A serious inspection under the car may reveal the extent of weathering.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
Packard
Packard is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Place park brake on

place foot on clutch press to floor
put in gear 1
start car release clutch slowly up till u witness any clutch bite if no bite at all u have a bad clutch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #7
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Or a busted driveshaft.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Also broke my axle, but I could see it when I looked underneath

Great thing about documenting stuff in the "what did you do. . ." thread, easy lookup for details

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...postcount=1087

Pushed the car into the garage in neutral

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote