SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2018, 10:46 PM   #1
1996SW2
1996SW2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2
2000 SW2
Default Where You At?

We did this on the, now defunct, Hot Boat forum years ago. I have several friends I met 15+ years ago as the result of a common interest, bad@$$ boats. Same could happen with a mediocre looking but honestly best car I've ever owned, pound per $$$. Plus, Maybe someone close by could benefit from your knowledge or parts cache and visa-versa.

Name is Tom from Phoenix, AZ. It's going to be over 105 all week. I just love the fall weather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2018, 10:55 PM   #2
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Where You At?

Not to put a wet blanket on your thread, but if you edit your profile, under "Edit Details" you can enter your location so it shows up under your username/avatar. But for what it's worth, I'm in Boston, in the Roslindale neighborhood.

And my 1993 SW2 is the best car I've ever had too! It really has been put through some tough usage and keeps on going with minimal fuss.

Here on the east coast we're gearing up for our annual pilgrimage to Larz Anderson Auto Museum's Extinct Car event in Brooklnie Massachusetts. Last year, we had someone from Indiana and for the second time in the several years we've been doing it, there will be someone from Virginia.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 193,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

Last edited by cityhawk; 09-17-2018 at 11:03 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:03 PM   #3
1996SW2

1996 SW2
2000 SW2

This is supposed to be fun and you're going to enjoy it. Dang Bostonians.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2018, 11:04 PM   #4
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996SW2 View Post
Lol! I am having fun!

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #5
1996SW2

1996 SW2
2000 SW2

Added location, Happy? No trip to the Packy tonight for you, Sir.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2018, 11:26 PM   #6
tizan
tizan is on a distinguished road

Well had 3 Saturns over time drove all above 150K miles...
Keeping the 2001 SC1 i have now until one of us is irreparable

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tizan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tizan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:28 PM   #7
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Added location, Happy? No trip to the Packy tonight for you, Sir.
Perfect!

To keep it going though, in the spirit intended by this thread, I added some additional text to my original post. It could be a good "getting to know you" thread. Especially for some of the newbies on here.

I've been a member of this forum since 1999 before webmaster Charlie moved it to a new site and a new forum hence the "Join Date" of Feb 2000 -- you won't see anyone with a Join date before then.

I bought a 1999 SW2 in December 1998. I was intrigued by the idea of the Saturn and always wanted one and by then was in a position to afford a new car, so I got a wagon (I'm a bass player and need a long roof). I loved the car and what the Saturn company stood for in the 1990s, so I bough my current 1993 SW2 to make into an art car to replace my 1989 Mazda pickup truck art car (You can see another thread on some of my car's recent adventures). I had since purchased an L-series wagon LW300, that I reluctantly parted with (to a fellow member of this forum and someone I have since become friends with)... if memory serves, his username was 700+SL2 or something like that.

Anyway, I am down to just the 1993 SW2 now. I daily drive it on the mean streets of Boston (well, I love Boston, but when you're talking driving a car on the streets, they are kind of mean). My day job is a hospice nurse. I do home visits for patients who are at the end of their lives. I wasn't sure at first how these people and their families would respond to my art car, but the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

I define the car as a rolling monument to my spirit.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Charlotte, MI, checking in
Hey, how do we know this isn't some devious plot to figure out where all these valuable cars are located, so they can be stolen later?

(that has actually happened - guy named Morgan Kipper of Billerica, ME, would attend get-togethers, meets, etc., for Subarus, Porsches, and Ferrarirs, but he was casing your house for alarms and valuables). Later moved on to illegal guns and stuff
http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_22686704...gh-speed-chase
https://www.wmur.com/article/ferrari...rimack/5144565

As many S-series as there are in my area, surprised at least one more Saturnfan is not in my locale.

You know how, once you get something (like a car, a shirt, shoes, or something), you start noticing that same thing when you see it?

One of my early posts here.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=149189

Currently own 3 s-series, total purchase price $2,700 ($800, $400, $1,500)
Nowhere near what some own, though.
onlinebiker, I'm looking at you

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
"I lost my khakis." - translations:

In America, "I can't find my pants."

In Boston, MA, "I can't start my car."

Oh, and I am Joshua. Hailing from Leavittsburg, OH, or about right between Youngstown and Cleveland.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #10
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2
Happy Re: Where You At?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Charlotte, MI, checking in
Hey, how do we know this isn't some devious plot to figure out where all these valuable cars are located, so they can be stolen later?
Umm, because they are Saturn S-Series, and the only people that truly appreciate the true value of these cars are the ones that already own them, and don't mind dumping oil into them every week.

Try this, sometime, and just talk to people about the S-Series. Most of them have long forgotten about GM's closed division and whether they are really valuable or not.

Most people know about Honda Civics, though, as they are rated the #1 Stolen Car of 2017, by Insurance companies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #11
Goggles Pisano
Goggles Pisano is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
Most people know about Honda Civics, though, as they are rated the #1 Stolen Car of 2017, by Insurance companies.
My ex-wife bought a 2000 Civic with over 230,000 miles on it, even though she wanted me to pay for it. I wouldn't, and we split up. Before that, we had the Franken-Neon, which was a super-crappy 1998 Plymouth Neon made from two other crappy Neons. I shudder to think how much money I sank into that POS. She contributed to its eventual demise by adding 5 quarts of oil (through the dipstick hole!) when the car was overheating... even though it already had oil in it. She also decided to take one quick trip with it even though the water pump was ready to let go, and then it did. Walked away from that money pit when she finally blew up... and got rid of the Neon as well.

After she bought the Civic, she couldn't navigate the parking garage in her condominium so she would park outside in the visitor parking, where it got stolen. It was eventually found about 45 minutes away, thrashed and stripped. She left a voicemail accusing me of stealing her car... 🙄

I had bought my 1999 SL1 in the meantime (July 2013) since the price was right, and I had gotten a big fat tax refund. I was originally considering a first-gen CTS or Lincoln LS as long as it was a manual but you know what they say, you don't find your car, it finds you. It even had 3 all-season tires in the trunk the dealer never noticed!

Anyways, other than the corroded battery cables which were draining the battery, the SL has never left me stranded. And thanks to the amazing folks here at SaturnFans, the car runs magnificently... except for the sway bar bushing which will be replaced when the subframe gets replaced.

My name is Andre, I'm from Toronto, and I'm a Saturn SLaholic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Goggles Pisano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Goggles Pisano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Goggles Pisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #12
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Pisano View Post
Before that, we had the Franken-Neon, which was a super-crappy 1998 Plymouth Neon made from two other crappy Neons. I shudder to think how much money I sank into that POS. She contributed to its eventual demise by adding 5 quarts of oil (through the dipstick hole!) when the car was overheating... even though it already had oil in it. She also decided to take one quick trip with it even though the water pump was ready to let go, and then it did. Walked away from that money pit when she finally blew up... and got rid of the Neon as well.
If you can get the engine to stay running long enough to actually blow the transmission, you may own a Chrysler product.......

When my 1995 SC2 found me, it was near-death. Transmission delayed/slammed into reverse, burned a quart of oil every 200 miles, was littered with clutter and garbage from the previous owner, hadn't had an oil change in over 6 years(car purchased August of 2016 with a Saturn branded oil filter still on it @ 163,082 miles). Broken trailing arms, punctured fuel tank(when it got impounded), missing the cooling fan, the AC condensor had been cut out of the car with bolt cutters, tires were trashed, emergency brake cables were broken, trunk latch was broken, hit on the right front, dome lamp broken and hanging, trunk interior shelf package speaker covers broken off, door trim panels broken(from installing aftermarket speakers), the car was inventoried by the police with "no radio"(which was also aftermarket before it "disappeared"), the right door latch rods were broken as well as the left exterior door handle. So, you couldn't open the drover door from the outside, and couldn't lock the passenger door. Oh, and the lid for the center console was completely broken off at the plastic hinge. Since there isn't a 2nd Gen console with a working latch, I just removed the console assembly. Paid $215 for the car on its salvage title. The members of this forum have been a critical part of helping me in my endeavors and trials with this car, and it has been well worth all the efforts, busted knuckles, cussing, throwing tools, stress, to keep it up and going. I often get ridiculed on Facebook for mentioning I belong to this forum(the guys on sixthsphere actually REMOVED me from their FB group amd constantly ridiculed me for repair/mod suggestions).

3 months of hard labor, towing, repair bills and an inspection later(which came out to about $2,800 in total expenses), the car was plated, registered, and on a rebuild title.

Currently, it averages 34-37mpg despite the oil consumption issues it has on the replacement engine with automatic(which is now on its 2nd Valve body), and is just about to turn 203k miles. And I have had plenty of people just look at me or comment about how much I have invested into a "Saturn". I even had one mechanic tell me that rebuilding the engine would cost more than what the car was worth. Maybe in his eyes, it was. He probably thinks BMWs are "reliable" cars, or drives a "dependable Dodge product" because it "looks pretty".

Here is how I respond to those types of people:
When you put the time, effort, and investment into something you know is valuable, it pays off in more ways than just money. That car has the qualities of everything I could really want on a car:

Great on Gas
Aerodynamic
Plastic, Rust-proof body
Easy maintenance
Performance
Pop-up Headlights(always one of my favorite features of automotive design)
An aftermarket, power sunroof that still works.
A Unique, One-Of-A-Kind Body Style

Are there other things I would have preferred, like RWD or a 5-speed? Probably, but for my specific needs of what the car is used for, it is perfect for me. I appreciate this car more than my 1984 Fiero SE that I had years ago.

I am the person that searches for the "gemstone"(video game terminology for unique cars in racing games) cars, and have owned quite a few. The first-gen SC2 is what I consider to be the "Diamond-In-The-Rough", because there has never been a single production car styled like it, from any other automaker.

(The 1984-1988 Pontiac Fiero space frame shares its design from the Ferrari 355 F1, which is why aftermarket companies have faced lawsuits for making "Ferrari-Conversion" kits for the 1984-1988 Fieros. Look at the passenger compartment of a Ferrari 355 F1 and a Pontiac Fiero, and when you get to the roof and backglass, you will see how GM may have "borrowed" some of the Fiero's design. Ferrari would later assist GM in the development of the 3.4L DOHC(VIN "X") V6 used in GM W-Body vehicles from 1992-1998).

I'm a mechanic, and while we may not have the best of qualities that some men & women posses(yes there are a small amount of female mechanics out there), two things that is certainly true about a "true" mechanic:

1. We never give up on anything, simply because it is broken.
2. If we love, cherish, and see value in what we have been given in a broken state, we will work to repair and fix it before we ever try to replace it.

Last edited by Saturn Night; 09-24-2018 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Add Information

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Pisano View Post
Walked away from that money pit when she finally blew up... and got rid of the Neon as well.
lol . . . your ex sounds like a real piece of work. I'm driving through CA to NY in mid October . . . if you see a random dude in a blue Dodge Caravan waving or giving a thumbs up to random Saturns, I swear I am not a pervert/crazy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2018, 08:51 PM   #14
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
I'm a mechanic, and while we may not have the best of qualities that some men & women posses(yes there are a small amount of female mechanics out there), two things that is certainly true about a "true" mechanic:

1. We never give up on anything, simply because it is broken.
2. If we love, cherish, and see value in what we have been given in a broken state, we will work to repair and fix it before we ever try to replace it.
I like this. I had someone ask me once what I was going to do when my 1993 SW2 "dies." I said that a car couldn't "die" unless it was totaled. It can always be fixed otherwise.... it's a matter of wanting to. I have weld repaired both rear door sills and straightened out and repaired the nose after a collision. Still going.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2018, 09:35 PM   #15
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

Bridgeport, Connecticut
My 1997 SW2 was purchased new as a company vehicle for a vineyard in California. The original owner gave it to her grand-daughter who told me that the wagon went back and forth across the USA more than once or twice. I bought it for $1,500.00 over six years ago with 124,400 miles under her beltline and she hasn’t let me down yet.

She turned 189,000 today.

1C4A50BF-9351-42A7-97F7-86F58A2C7B9A.jpg

I gave her a nice aluminum hat* over the weekend.

*(1st gen valve cover).

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:20 PM   #16
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhawk View Post
I like this. I had someone ask me once what I was going to do when my 1993 SW2 "dies." I said that a car couldn't "die" unless it was totaled. It can always be fixed otherwise.... it's a matter of wanting to. I have weld repaired both rear door sills and straightened out and repaired the nose after a collision. Still going.
People are becoming less tuned to the mentality of repairing, but what they often overlook: To repair is always easier and cheaper than trying to replace.

And that attitude goes much further than just automobiles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2018, 10:48 PM   #17
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
... I'm driving through CA to NY in mid October . . . if you see a random dude in a blue Dodge Caravan waving or giving a thumbs up to random Saturns, I swear I am not a pervert/crazy
If only you were able to drive to Boston on October 20th.... You could meet a bunch of us at Extinct Car Day at Larz Anderson Auto Museum!

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2018, 04:47 PM   #18
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I'm sure I'll make it there eventually. . . never been to Boston but the wife likes historical sites and travelling.

Got one last kid to put through college, then plan on retiring shortly.

Having a car with $0 payments, cheap (for MI) insurance and plates. low maintenance, and good mpg is part of that equation

REWARD EXCELLENCE!