SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
growe58
growe58 is on a distinguished road

Default Removing auto transmission 04 Ion

I'm trying to remove and swap a blown 5 speed automatic transmission on my son's 2004 Ion 1. I have the subframe dropped and all of the bellhousing bolts removed but the darn thing won't budge! I have the engine supported with a hoist and a jack under the transmission and I have tried every angle hoping it would at least start to separate so i could get a pry bar in there. I have removed the three torque converter bolts, the mount that goes over the steering rack, the mount on the passenger wheel well and of course the front mount that goes on the subframe. Here is a picture I found of the transmission on the internet - I've circled the bolts that I removed. Is there one that I missed?

EDIT - I can't figure out how to attach pictures. There was opening for two bolts on the top although only one was in place. These had the heads pointed to the drivers side. Two bolts on the bottom and two up the side on the firewall side of the trans - these all have the bolt head towards the passenger side. So a total of 5 (or 6) bolts plus mounts.

Thanks in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to growe58's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help growe58 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
growe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
growe58
growe58 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Removing auto transmission 04 Ion

I found it! I did miss a bolt - covered in dirt and caked on grease. In case anyone has the same problem in the future, the bolt that I missed is just to the right of the upper starter bolt. So in total, the auto trans is held in by:

Accessible from the drivers side - two bolt holes on top (although I only had one bolt)
Accessible from the passenger side - aforementioned bolt above starter, two along the bottom and then two up on the firewall side above and towards the car's front from the rear powertrain mount.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to growe58's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help growe58 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
growe58 is offline   Reply With Quote