SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
Manospeed
Manospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura about

Default "Hosed" - Rear brake line snapped

Finally was able to remove my drums, but in the process of trying to remove the old brake cylinders, I snapped the rusted out brake line. I called everywhere and no one carries Saturn Vue rear brake lines (AC Delco part 22706712). My only option is to make them from scratch, but I can't find any information on the line itself (diameter, material type, length when straight, and type of screw + threading). All I know is the line is a inverted double flare.

Does anyone have any information or specs on this part?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-09-17_16-58-45.jpg (27.5 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Manospeed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Manospeed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Manospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: "Hosed" - Rear brake line snapped

1-If you're not in any hurry to make repairs, you might be able to search (with patience) for oem or aftermarket replacement. You might have trouble finding it in Autozone/Advance Auto/NAPA/big chain auto stores. Maybe rockauto is included but you'll have to search. If no oem/aftermarket replacement exists then the next step should help.

2-Do you know or can call around any brake shop or specialty shop that can make brake lines from scratch? There are experts experienced with equipment and tools to make lines with many metals, single/double flares, custom bend tubing to fit, and determine whether fittings are metric or SAE. Finding these places also takes a few calls and descriptions about car model, year, etc. so they can determine over the phone whether or not they have everything and not waste your time. All you'd have to do is bring the broken part with at least dimensions on length. They should be able to determine tubing diameter, flare configuration and thread size with your original part. All they have to do make one from scratch before your eyes if they let you watch.

3-Buy your own flaring tool and tubing and fittings and make your own brake lines. This does require knowledge of brake line dimensions for tubing, type, flare type, fitting size, etc..

4-A member here may be able to help with better suggestions or make a line from personal experience with parts on hand.

While not rocket science, making brake lines does require knowledge of hydraulics and the pressures that are generated in order to appreciate making brake lines from scratch can be either dangerous or simple in regards to safety from practice and successful custom made lines.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

If this is a one time thing, you can buy brake lines with the correct ends attached in various lengths. Take the remains to the parts store to match up the fittings and total length. Then use a $10 or $20 tubing bender to get it in the approximate shape of the old piece. Doesn't have to be exact. If you plan on doing this often, get a kit like https://surrauto.com/brake/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #4
Manospeed
Manospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura about

Hi Gents,

Went to O'Reilly Auto parts this evening. They sell straight brake lines which have been pre-flared with the nut fittings already in place. One fitting we were able to screw onto the new brake cylinder without any problem, but I'm having problems identifying/fitting the other screw that attaches to the brake hose.

Does anyone have any specs on the screws of the brake line?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Manospeed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #5
Manospeed

Hi Gents,

Just wanted to give everyone a quick status update on where I'm at with my rear brake drum replacement on my 2007 Saturn Vue.

As you may recall, when I attempted to remove the brake line fitting on the brake cylinder, my rusted out brake line turned with the fitting and eventually snapped.

Late last night, I was able to install a new brake line, along with the fittings in the rear brake hose and the new brake cylinder. Given that most Saturn Vues in here have high mileage you will eventually need to replace the rear brakes. If you attempt to remove the brake cylinder, there is a very high probability your brake lines will snap. It's safe to assume your brake lines will snap so you should have your custom fabricated brake lines ready (I didn't), instead of snapping them and then trying to hunt down parts and fittings after the fact.

For Saturn Vue rear brake lines (2002-2007) you will need the following:

1. 25 Ft. Roll / Coil of 3/16" (.028" Wall) Copper Nickel Brake Line Tubing
2. RIDGID 32985 Model 104 Close Quarters Tubing Cutter, 3/16-inch to 15/16-inch Tube Cutter
3. 4 x Brake line fitting (size: M10x1x16 - GM part number 11569751)
4. OTC 4403 Tubing Bender
5. Brake line flaring tool kit (Rent for free from Autozone with $30 security deposit)
6. Heavy work table with vice (optional, but very helpful when flaring)

The installation process is as follows:

1. Measure and cut a piece of 3/16" tubing. To calculate the length, use a piece of solder and mold it into the shape of your original brake line, then extend it to figure out the total length. If you're missing a fitting because it broke off, simply measure it separately and add it to your total length. Mine were approximately 10 inches in length, although I added another 1/2 inch to have some wiggle room (Mine was just a tad long). My second line, I plan on cutting about 10.25 inches. It's better to have a little extra tube than to end up short.

2. Use a narrow cylindrical file to open up the hole and remove any debris

3. Attach your flaring tool kit to your vice.

4. Use a large flat file to file the end of the tubing so it's completely level

5. Remove any debris/shavings with compressed air.

6. Follow the directions of the flaring tool kit to perform an inverted double flare on one end of your tubing (Tip: Put a drop or two of brake fluid on the 3/16" flaring tool kit die before beginning the flare).

7. Slide both M10x1x16 fittings on your tubing. Pay attention to the direction of the fittings (The fitting thread should always look outward).

8. Flip your tubing, place it in the flaring tool kit, and create your second inverted double flare.

9. Place your new line next to the original and use a black marker to score all relevant angles and bends on your new line.

10. Using your brake line bender tool, take your time and bend the new brake line into shape, using the old line as a reference guide. Do not rush this process and bend gradually (15 degrees at a time) per angle, then compare with your original. You want to avoid over-bending then having to go back and bend in the opposite direction as the chance for kinks in the line increases.

11. With your new brake line finished (doesn't have to be exact, only approximate to original brake line), replace brake cylinder and screw brake line onto back by hand (10-15 ft/lbs), now insert other end of the brake line into the brake hose. Tighten by hand as much as possible, then use open end wrench. Be careful not to over-tighten as you may deform the inverted double flare and the brake line might not be able to make a good seal. If you deform the flare, you will need to start over again. Only tighten gradually if you see brake fluid still leaking.

Notes (Important)
For your brake line fittings, ensure you purchase the fittings only from an authorized GM dealer using the GM product code. The fittings are M10x1x16. If you purchase the fittings from a 3rd party seller and for some reason they aren't exactly M10x1x16, you run a very high chance of stripping the threading on the brake cylinder and the brake hose and you will be in a world of hurt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!