SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
Channeler1
Channeler1 has a spectacular aura aboutChanneler1 has a spectacular aura aboutChanneler1 has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L
Dazed 2005 Saturn Vue Base 2.2L Won't start after Timing Chain/Head Replacement!

Hello All!
Just figured i'd Pick the brains of the group here before i give up and take my Vue to the Stealership!

My Saturn Vue had been chugging along faithfully until a few month ago when in a few spastic fits the engine went screeching and convulsing. Creeped the car home and later diagnosed a bent valve most liking caused from the front timing chain guide giving and snapping in two! Ugh pain in the butt!

Anyway ~ Replaced the Cylinder head with another and installed all new gaskets, timing chain, guides, sprockets blah blah...
Got it back together early this week and went to fire it up and nothing! starter turns engine turns over, but will not start!

Engine mechanical is sound I'm pretty sure of that! Was meticulous with the timing chain and head install ~ even used some guides here! Engine hand rotated a dozen times before being put back together everything was great and stayed in alignment!

And the car was running even after the chain jumped and bent the valve! i limped it home pulled up in the driveway and then turned it off!

Things of note....
1.The cars battery died while it was in the car waiting to be repaired. Have not replaced only been trying to jumpstart it with another vehicle.

2. No gas in fuel rail and No sparks from ignition coils! First i realized there was no gas in the fuel rail. Added gallon, still nothing. Then used Starter fluid to check for engine spark. nothing not one pop. So my guess is something is preventing engine electrical from working?

3. I have no flashing passlock icon or anything like that so i don't think its a passlock issue although that was my initial guess. All check lights come on at start and go off like they should, engine cranks and spins just no fuel/spark~ check engine light is on and has been since the incident. only other light i get is the car with wrench icon on and off sometimes when trying to start.

4. At my wits end here! Any ideas ???
Again car was running when i drove it home and turned it off. Checked all fuses CHECK. Moved relays around and swapped out to check for a bad relay CHECK .....

Is there a way to jumper the fuel pump without getting into the tank to check that it's working back there?

Is there any kind of emergency cut-off switch or inertia cut-off like some cars have that may have been tripped?

Heck Any ideas at all???
:P

Thanks Guys !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Channeler1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Channeler1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Channeler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2005 Saturn Vue Base 2.2L Won't start after Timing Chain/Head Replacement!

You may have more than one problem after major repairs. You might start by checking to see if there are any blown fuses then move on. With the starter turning over the engine, this part is eliminated but you'll have to verify fuel pump operation in two steps. First step is verifying the ecm/pcm is working; instrument lights should turn on for a few seconds then turn off, leaving battery, seat belt, oil and brake light on. This tells you most of the ecm is working. In the time ignition was turned on, the ecm primes the fuel lines to injectors for two seconds so the fuel test valve should spray fuel when its depressed. Connecting a fuel pressure gauge, borrowed from AutoZone, can help too. Seeing fuel spray or gauge pressures verifies the ecm is operating the fuel pump. Fuel and spark have their own fuses. Lack of spark can be a blown fuse, faulty ignition control module (ICM), or ignition coil pack with most spark failures from faulty ICMs.

Worse case scenario might be jumpering the fuel pump relay terminal socket pins 30 and 87, sending 12v immediately to power the fuel pump. This can help with troubleshooting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2005 Saturn Vue Base 2.2L Won't start after Timing Chain/Head Replacement!

Verify your grounds are installed correctly... The ground wire on the ECM, grounds on the head.. Look at the photos in this link

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216101

Verify the Fuel injector plug and the Throttle body plug are correct.. These can be accidentally swapped.. If so, they usually nuke the ECM. Scroll down to post #16

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215542

Here is a link to when I changed my timing chain:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218942

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
Channeler1
Channeler1 has a spectacular aura aboutChanneler1 has a spectacular aura aboutChanneler1 has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L

Good Morning and Thanks for the responses Guys!

Ok I'll try these!
Very possible i Missed a ground during the reinstall...

I figured it was either something relatively simple or i was just jacked! Ugh! lol

I'll report back after i've had a chance to check everything!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Channeler1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
Channeler1

2005 VUE 2.2L

Hello All!
Still Not Starting...

I'm now wondering if its not indeed the passlock system keeping it from starting?

Could this possibly be the case after sitting a few months with no battery power?

What would be the visual sign in the dash that passlock is enabled and blocking start? Again its very strange to me to have NO power at both injectors AND spark plugs...

Do we have a thread here for passlock reset?

Thanks Again guys!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If security (Passlock) isn't flashing on the instrument panel, Passlock isn't actively disabling injectors. GMs Passlock does not disable spark. Passlock's only way to tell anyone its active or not is thru its own indicator, the security light (led).

If all suggestions were checked, fuel pressure at the tst valve and all fuses, loss of spark and injectors while cranking usually points to a dead or intermittent crank sensor. The crank position sensor is the electronic heartbeat of the ecm. No crank sensor timing signals no EFI system, no spark no injector pulses.

One tell tale of the crank sensor not operating - no tach needle movement while starting.

Last edited by fdryer; 09-16-2018 at 01:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
Channeler1

2005 VUE 2.2L

Thanks Guys!
Finally got it started!

Used the info here to Make checks and test the Fuel Pump.
Ended up being the ECM Grounds it appears. Cleaning didn't help, I ended up using the info from the thread to create a new ground and that did it!
Everything sprang to life after that!

Started on the first turn!

You Guys Rock !!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

Excellent -----

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote