SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #1
natedawg1604
natedawg1604 is on a distinguished road

Default Passenger Side CV axle C-clip

Hi there,

So, I recently replaced (among many other things) the passenger side CV Axle on my 96 SL2. For some reason it seemed impossible to get the new CV Axle past the c-clip, it seems like the C-clip was a bit deformed and prevented the new CV axle from being properly seated. Because I was very short and time and needed to get to work the next morning, I pulled the c-clip out and am currently driving without it (I know, I need to put it back in).

In a few days I'll be in a position to spend some time getting the CV axle re-inserted correctly, but I need some suggestions on what to do. For example, should I go to a junk yard and try to find another C-clip in better condition? Is it possible to buy a new C-clip at an autoparts store or online? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to natedawg1604's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help natedawg1604 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
natedawg1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Passenger Side CV axle C-clip

I believe this is GM 07829495 which isn't available any longer. I've not seen anyone sell them without the axle. J/y may be a good option but honestly I'd probably just try to drive it in. I've had some that are very difficult.
The Axle is very strong in compression. If you push the axle into compression you can tap it (not slam it) with something heavy (I used a sledge hammer) to push it past the ring. Its not worse then hitting a big rock in the road.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

Many (most...all?) aftermarket axles have c clips that are too large. Swap the clip from your old axle over to the new axle and it should pop right in.

Cheers!

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
natedawg1604

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelhogan44 View Post
Many (most...all?) aftermarket axles have c clips that are too large. Swap the clip from your old axle over to the new axle and it should pop right in.

Cheers!
So, my new axle (passenger side) didn't come with a C-clip. I currently only have the original clip that was in the Rack & pinion bar. Is it possible to buy another CV axle that DOES come with a usable c-clip?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help natedawg1604 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #5
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

Oh, interesting.

McMaster has them.
https://www.mcmaster.com/c-clips

In California, McMaster standard shipping shows up the next morning. YMMV depending on location.

MechE - I make things!

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #6
natedawg1604

Quote:
Oh, interesting.

McMaster has them.

In California, McMaster standard shipping shows up the next morning. YMMV depending on location.
Wow, interesting. Does anyone know what size I would need to order?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
colonelhogan44

1998 SL2

That I do not know. I have a couple spares, but they are at a different location so I can't measure before you'll need to know. Measure the old one and post up the dimensions and we can help you choose the right one.

MechE - I make things!

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

After removal and before install always gently compress the ring into its grove, do this multiple times around the ring. The OEM is not a plain C clip it is a formed ring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #9
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

I saw this You Tube and thought it may be useful to you with the C clip issue....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeKJ-YUMHAY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #10
natedawg1604

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
After removal and before install always gently compress the ring into its grove, do this multiple times around the ring. The OEM is not a plain C clip it is a formed ring.
It seems like one end of the ring is protruding slightly beyond the groove; is that normal, or should the ring be totally flush to the groove?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #11
colonelhogan44

1998 SL2

It should have some play in the groove, IIRC. An OEM axle with a ring in good shape should pop in without a lot of force. The video posted by Floridasls2002 shows the rings being available at the auto parts store. You might want to get a new one to make sure you can get the axle in this time since this is your primary transportation.

MechE - I make things!

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #12
natedawg1604

Quote:
It should have some play in the groove, IIRC. An OEM axle with a ring in good shape should pop in without a lot of force...
Okay, let's back up. Should the new axle INCLUDE a new ring? Because the one I got from Napa did not. At this point I have no problem buying a new CV axle, I just need a link to the proper website or store...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #13
colonelhogan44

1998 SL2

All of the axles I have ever bought aftermarket had rings included. Last year I helped a buddy install a NAPA driver's side axle to his wife's 1999 SL2, and it had a ring. The ring was too large and prevented us from installing the axle without switching it out for the one on the original axle, however.

MechE - I make things!

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #14
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Someone probably needed a ring so they bought the axle and returned and now you got it.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #15
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg1604 View Post
Okay, let's back up. Should the new axle INCLUDE a new ring? Because the one I got from Napa did not. At this point I have no problem buying a new CV axle, I just need a link to the proper website or store...
If it were me and had bought from NAPA, my first action would be to speak with the NAPA store you got it from and confirm if it should have had a clip. If the answer is yes and yours didn't and you have the receipt for the purchase, they should swap it out for a drive axle with the clip.

If it should not have come with a clip, then they should assist you with the issue. Burt my gut feeling is it should have had a clip. The whole point of buying a complete drive axle is it is plug & play.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #16
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

I agree with the above advice.
I have bought a few over the years and they always came with the clip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark_b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #17
natedawg1604

UPDATE: So, I went to the junkyard and got a replacement c-clip, and the CV axle went on my car with said replacement clip in about 45 seconds. I'm guessing when I took the curb hit and the CV Axle split apart (yeah, it was a nasty curb hit) the c-clip ring somehow got deformed.

HOWEVER, now I have another issue: When I turn the wheel right, at a certain point I hear a single clicking noise. It comes and goes pretty fast, it's not continuous. It sounds like it's coming approximately from the center-front area of the car. Does this sound like a rack and pinion assembly issue? About the only things I haven't replaced on my front suspension system are the inner tie rods and rack and pinion assembly...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:12 AM   #18
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Clicking is usually a bad outer CV joint. The bad one is on the side you are turning into. See if the click rate changes with a slower turn speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:47 AM   #19
natedawg1604

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Clicking is usually a bad outer CV joint. The bad one is on the side you are turning into. See if the click rate changes with a slower turn speed.
How is that possible, I replaced both CV axles last week? Also on both sides of the vehicle I replaced the outer tie rods, lower control arms and struts with new parts from Napa. I also replaced the subframe and sway bar from junk yard parts.

Last edited by natedawg1604; 09-17-2018 at 09:00 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #20
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Maybe it got damage when you put the clip would not go in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark_b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark_b is offline   Reply With Quote