SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2018, 11:09 PM   #1
Fishfreq
Fishfreq is on a distinguished road

Default Manual to power steering swap? JY SC2 suspension? Straightforward?

I've got a '98 SL1 5 spd man, 'new to me', bought it last week with only 44,400 miles, completely straight and CLEAN for $1,000. Three pedals? Couldn't pass it up!

Problem is it's got manual steering that's gonna hafta be upgraded if my daughter is to drive this when she gets her license in 2 yrs. Alignment looks good, tire wear is even, so I'm just guessing they must all steer real heavy in slow maneuvering?

How straightforward is it to swap in power steering? Lol, I've searched here and heard '50 parts' in the list of JY parts to pick up but found nothing on going SC2 or SL2 ps on an SL1? What years are the easiest to bolt onto the SOHC? I know I'd like the quicker ratio of the SC2 for sure.

Anyways, for years I drove a DHCP '91 SC2 manual that was a FUN little grocery getter compared to this slug of a 100 hp mule. Everything on my SC2 was better than this SL1. Plan on upgrading suspension bits, springs, shocks, anti-sway and wheels from to SC2 level (or better?), nothing outrageous, mostly JY or cheap parts, just want a safe solid cornering car, not the bouncy mushy corner-squealing thing it is now.

No DHCP swap - at best if I find an JY SC2 5 speed I'll GLADLY swap that for this SL1 5 speed if that's a bolt-on for this dog of a 5 spd (which seems like it's really just a 3 spd manual with 2 overdrive gears :-P )!!

Any feedback on best years to look for on all this I'd really appreciate it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fishfreq's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fishfreq reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fishfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2
Default Re: Manual to power steering swap? JY SC2 suspension? Straightforward?

Id be interested in your manual steering rack, if you are near me...

I think that you would need the pump unit, and the two lines, as well as the rack and pinion. Not sure how its electronically controlled (variable effort) which could be an issue. You do not want full power steering while going 70 down a freeway.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Interesting. I know there is power steering with or without variable sensing (we can change it in the tech2 if you switch) but never heard of saturn without any power steering.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
cgg17

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

I thought the manual steering was an option for Sl's only, as I pulled my 5th gear from an SL that had manual steering.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

SL default option was a manual steering rack.
SL1/SC1/SW1/SWP only option was power steering with no "off" setting. 0mph or 70mph...you have FULL power assist 100% of the time...
SC/SC2/SL2/SW2 only option was power steering with assist being turned off at 55mph.

Parts list:
  • Power steering rack (never noticed less lock->lock turns in any of my SC's)
  • Power steering pump
  • U-Joint from the rack to the column (column side doesn't change, rack side does so keep the u-joints on each rack)
  • Serpentine belt (PS belt is longer...)
  • Pump mounting bracket(s) and various hardware (DOHC pumps have an 'off' option as well as more required brackets).
  • PS hose's (one is a low pressure return line, other is high pressure)

Once you have the parts it's as simple as unbolting the old stuff and bolting in the new. Try to get the parts car steering centered before removing as well as your car. Also, after removing the rack from your car set it along side the 'new' rack and adjust the TRE's on the 'new' rack to match the length from the main body of the 'old' rack to the 'bolt' on the TRE's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
Fishfreq

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg17 View Post

I think that you would need the pump unit, and the two lines, as well as the rack and pinion. Not sure how its electronically controlled (variable effort) which could be an issue. You do not want full power steering while going 70 down a freeway.
I'm in Nor-Calif, and I'd be willing to ship that manual rack to you no prob cgg17. Mine only has 44k miles on it so it should be in good shape. Be carefull what you wish for; manual steering is very heavy at low speeds, and it's the same 18:1 ratio as the basic SL ps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Fishfreq reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2018, 09:18 AM   #7
Fishfreq

Quote:
I thought the manual steering was an option for Sl's only, as I pulled my 5th gear from an SL that had manual steering.
That I don't know, but I do know my strippy SL1 has manual steering and it's not fun in tight slow quarters. At speed of course it's fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
Fishfreq

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
SL default option was a manual steering rack.
SL1/SC1/SW1/SWP only option was power steering with no "off" setting. 0mph or 70mph...you have FULL power assist 100% of the time...
SC/SC2/SL2/SW2 only option was power steering with assist being turned off at 55mph.

Parts list:
  • Power steering rack (never noticed less lock->lock turns in any of my SC's)
  • Power steering pump
  • U-Joint from the rack to the column (column side doesn't change, rack side does so keep the u-joints on each rack)
  • Serpentine belt (PS belt is longer...)
  • Pump mounting bracket(s) and various hardware (DOHC pumps have an 'off' option as well as more required brackets).
  • PS hose's (one is a low pressure return line, other is high pressure)

Once you have the parts it's as simple as unbolting the old stuff and bolting in the new. Try to get the parts car steering centered before removing as well as your car. Also, after removing the rack from your car set it along side the 'new' rack and adjust the TRE's on the 'new' rack to match the length from the main body of the 'old' rack to the 'bolt' on the TRE's.
That's great info Fetchit, thank you!! I definitely want the 'variable' assist version. This leaves me with even more questions:

My greatest concern was are all the ps pump brackets the same for the DOHC that I'll pull the parts from vs my SOHC, AND, since you said one version cuts off assist at 55 mph; there's obviously a speed sensor that gets its info from the OBDII right? Will my strippy '98 SL1 have that open plug in my wiring harness so that I can use it? Are all wiring harnesses the same? Maybe the SL1's ecm was never designed for variable assist ps ?

I've read that the manual steering rack has an approx 18:1 ratio. There's also a ps rack that has an 18:1 ratio and a ps rack with a 16:1 ratio. It'd be a good guess that the version with variable assist is the 16:1, but how do I identify that? Not like I can stop by the Saturn parts counter and ask the guy to look it up ?

Clearly there's gotta be some wiring harness attachment AND some kind of clutch or solenoid that bypasses belt assist or ps fluid at 55 right? I looked on Rock Auto but found no differentiation between those supposed options.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
cgg17

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

I would assume that your Sx1 pcm (whether it be Sl1, Sc1, or Sw1) does not have the capabilities to do so, as well as your wiring harness. But, I can be completely wrong here....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2018, 11:01 PM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

It's a 2 wire sensor, bat & ground. Give it a 5a or under feed and manually switch the ground. Should be easy to cut off the pigtail when you're taking the pump. I don't know what it actually requires for power but I'd expect even 5a to be overkill.

The SOHC harness doesn't have the plug and even if it did...the SOHC PCM would have no control over it.

The main mounting bracket needs to stay with the pump and I believe 1 bracket between the pump and intake manifold is required (or use a "custom" nut & bolt instead). IIRC there's 2-3 extra brackets on the DOHC version that the SOHC doesn't have...which is weird because the SOHC version has full assist 100% of the time...

Most interchange's won't reference the speed part of it, they'll just say "with EVO" or "without EVO" or some-such.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #11
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:

Only the 1991-1992 S-Series are programmed to code the PCM, when the variable assist plug is not detected.

Variable assist pumps will interchange with non-NV7 P/S on the S-Series without issue.

Rack 'n' Pinion interchange for P/S are 1991-2002 Saturn S-Series, w/Power Steering. Difference is the sensor/valve on the pump assembly.

Manual Racks have a 4.0:1 turn lock to lock ratio.

Non-NV7 are 3.2:1

NV7(Variable-Assist) are 2.7:1

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #12
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
Variable assist pumps will interchange with non-NV7 P/S on the S-Series without issue.
Everyone claims that, yet when I tried to put a NV7 pump on a '97 SC1 I had to swap the bracket to the engine as well because NONE of the bolt holes lined up with the pump...they were all either missing or the 'wrong' threaded/smooth holes. As far as position & belt size sure, they swap without issue (pre '94ish pumps come with a steel pulley you don't have to worry about overheating & exploding...) but you _have_ to keep the bracket with the pump..the NV7 pumps have more smooth holes for brackets on the other side than non-NV7 pumps which have threaded holes. Been there, done that...got the aggravation of doing it again the right/working way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!