SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2018, 11:02 PM   #1
ElysRealm
ElysRealm is on a distinguished road

Default 99 SL1 transmission kicking when I get up to and out of the 10-15MPH range. Help?

So yea I have a SL1 99. It runs good but the automatic transmission always kind of kicked (not that hard) out of (or into... not sure) 1st (right when it hits about 10-15MPH). If I go easy on the gas the kicking will be fairly light but if I go heavy it will be hard. Sometimes when I hit 45MPH I can feel it kick out of gear too but very lightly.

It has 122k and I'm worried about the transmission. The transmission fluid looks good and is full as are all the other fluids. Should I maybe do a fluid change (I know some people say this is bad but I'm not sure) or maybe try an additive? I know an additive is not a permanent fix but I have heard some people have had luck with them to help hold off an inevitable repair/replacement. I know eventually, the tranny will need servicing in one way or another but trying to extend it's life as much as I can at the moment as money is tight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ElysRealm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ElysRealm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ElysRealm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2018, 12:10 AM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: 99 SL1 transmission kicking when I get up to and out of the 10-15MPH range. Help?

Do you have an ohmmeter? You can check the trans LP (line pressure) fuse and the LP solenoid coil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: 99 SL1 transmission kicking when I get up to and out of the 10-15MPH range. Help?

Well, if you don't change your Saturn transmission and filter on a regular basis, you WILL develop problems, not avoid them.
No one here would ever tell you to not change the fluid, but we will say just the opposite. Drain the fluid out, reach under the air snorkel and remove the horizontal positioned spin on filter (similar to an oil filter, but special) and replenish (do not flush out the trans though, that IS a bad thing to do) using only Dexron III compatible (not Dex IV or anything else...just Dex III stuff) fluid. You could add in a bottle of Lucas trans fix (walmart and all autoparts stores carry it ~ $10) and see what improvement you might have, it's cheap insurance, and quite easy to do.

Also do as billr suggested above.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:54 PM   #4
clinteastwood
clinteastwood is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

I have the same thing, it only does it when the engine is cold. Once it warms up it stops jumping into second.

It's done it for over two years without getting any worse/better. I did change the fluid and filter soon after I noticed it, didn't make any difference although you should do it at 30k miles anyways to keep it working at least.
I would suggest doing the fluid and filter change and not worrying too much about it afterwards.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clinteastwood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clinteastwood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
clinteastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #5
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

The 1-2 upshift is usually going to be felt, on the automatic transmissions. The TCC is not engaged, unless you are at WOT. It will be more noticeable when the fluid is cold, because line pressure will be higher(fluid is thicker). Running higher rpms will make a more-noticeable shift, as there is more power transfer between gears.

Changing the fluid is strongly recommended as preventative maintenance, especially if you have never change the fluid. Buy 5 quarts of Dexron-III fluid, since the drain will usually drop more than 4 quarts.

I am on my second valve body(third counting the stock unit that was toast when I bought the car), and I have always had 1-2 upshifts that are felt, and under very light throttle, they occur between 10-15mph.

In fact, 10 mph is the minimum speed, for a 1-2 upshift, and if you are coasting or let off the gas at exactly 10mph, you will feel it shift a little more firmly than keeping the throttle steady.

This is normal programing, for the auto, on these cars. The ATSG service manual shows that shifts quality is affected with "Garage Shifts"(Manually shifting with shifter lever), or when there is a more-than 8% change in TPS voltage during the shift.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L8c0zekH9KM

Here is how to drain the fluid.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote