SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
Cheesesteak
Cheesesteak is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Is this a transmission problem (or not)?

Was pulling away from a stop light when - at around 20 mph - it started thumping pretty loud and vibrating/shaking like a wheel had suddenly turned square. I began looking for a place to pull over asap and found one before much else happened. Checked underneath for any obvious things. You know, stuff dragging on the ground, fluid pouring out, etc. but saw nothing odd. Engine seems fine. It's an AWD with the 3.5L (Honda) V-6 and tranny. Had the fluid changed maybe 5K miles ago. Only about 78K miles on it now. That's low. Have read some others' posts about how this tranny can bog down sometimes at about 35 mph and so does mine. Otherwise it has always acted like it's supposed to act. It's at the garage now but might not get seen until tomorrow. I wanted to see it anyone has had this happen to them before and what was needed to fix it. Always a good idea to gather info from all sources just in case the mechanic has gambling debts or something that would make him pad the bill.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheesesteak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheesesteak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Is this a transmission problem (or not)?

Did you search Vue awd problems? The carrier bearing fails and the long driveshaft wobbles without bearing support. Most members here find the best temporary fix by removing it to stop the out of balance condition and consider which truck repair shop can handle replacing the bearing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
Cheesesteak

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Did you search Vue awd problems? The carrier bearing fails and the long driveshaft wobbles without bearing support. Most members here find the best temporary fix by removing it to stop the out of balance condition and consider which truck repair shop can handle replacing the bearing.
I tried to search for trans problem posts before I posted this but found nothing similar. I am vaguely aware of possible problems with this Honda trans. I recall reading 1-2 posts about how some people have disconnected (or disabled) the components that carry power to the rear wheels. But I don't remember the details they stated about why they chose to do this. My garage called yesterday to report that they gave it a test drive and EVERYTHING SEEMED FINE. Huh? So, whatever the problem is, it seems to be able to come and go.

I will contact them later today and let them know about this carrier bearing. Thanks fdryer!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cheesesteak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
Cheesesteak

2004 VUE 3.5L

I informed the garage of the idea that the problem could be related to the carrier bearing. They weren't convinced. They said they drove it some more and no problem/shaking/noise happened. Advised me to come get it and bring it back if it acts up again. Did so. Drove it 10 miles to my destination with no issues. I avoided I-95 and drove no more than 35 mph mostly. About 8 miles into the return trip the shaking/etc. happened again. It seemed to be kicking in at around 20 mph or so. It would go away if I lifted off the gas and, when I sped up again, sometimes it would happen again, sometimes not. I tried going faster when it happened to see if it would go away at a higher speed but it just shook more & more violently so I never tried that again. I was in 25 mph speed limit neighborhoods so it was easy to drive to the shop & drop it off again. I also noticed that, after braking to a full stop, there was a brief grunt/groan noise when I stepped on the gas and pulled away. Not always but at least 3 times. Suspected that the new rear shoes (from 3 weeks ago) might be acting up (sticking) but what the heck do I know? Told them everything. He got me to admit that, between the seat, my feet or the steering wheel, the vibration I felt was primarily thru the wheel but it was a bit of an "all-over" thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Wow, the shop didn't put your Vue on a lift to hand check the driveshaft going to the rear? Maybe it's time to get another opinion from another shop listening to you then putting the car up on a lift to make a hands on check......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
Cheesesteak

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Wow, the shop didn't put your Vue on a lift to hand check the driveshaft going to the rear? Maybe it's time to get another opinion from another shop listening to you then putting the car up on a lift to make a hands on check......
Yeah, I thought that was a little lazy of them not to look at it too. Just got a call from them and it's not the bearing. The front brake calipers (at least 1 of them anyway) are bad. They want to change both along with new hoses. Told them "OK" since they assured me that this WILL fix the problem. I'm probably throwing some money away because these guys don't install parts that I can order online with discount offers that Pep Boys, Advanced Auto and others keep flooding my email box with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #7
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
The front brake calipers (at least 1 of them anyway) are bad. They want to change both along with new hoses.
Where you breaking when the vibration started? Yes, there can be a problem with front hoses, but that shouldn't require replacement of the calipers. And, unless there is drag when coasting, I would not think your brakes are the problem. Checking the temperature of the rotor can give an indication of brake dragging.

I don't have four wheel drive but I think fdryer's analysis is a good one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
Cheesesteak

2004 VUE 3.5L

After thinking about it more, I also question whether this "fix" will cure the problem. They tell me it will. I don't doubt that the pass-side caliper is defective coz it failed to release some months ago and I only replaced the pads at the time. When that happened there was only some smoke & odor. No vibration or noise. To my mind, calipers just hang out in stand-by mode until someone presses the brake pedal. I can't envision a way in which they could malfunction and lead to the shaking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Vues do have front brake hoses failing to release brakes. The calipers aren't faulty. The brake hoses are. Search threads about it with a member showing a cutaway of damage when a hose bracket strangles a hose. Calipers lock onto brakes of hydraulic pressure isn't released. The front brake hoses choking brake fluid is an unusual issue, discovered here among Vue members.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #10
Cheesesteak

2004 VUE 3.5L

The garage replaced the hoses and calipers and - after a couple days and about 100 miles of driving - the problem seems to be solved! Thanks to all who weighed in!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!