SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 12:07 PM   #1
WrathX
WrathX is on a distinguished road

Question Weird issue (bug or something serious?)

OK, car had a little under 400 miles on it when I started it this morning. A little extra background, my car is parked on a hill, and the car is on a horizontal angle (i.e. instead of parallel parking on hills like in San Francisco, I pull into a standard parking slot). The car has a pretty heavy tilt to the right while parked.

Anyway, I start the car up this morning, and immediately the odometer says "COOLANT". I read the manual, and it said that I should check the coolant level. Now, being that this is a new car, I haven't had too much opportunity to get familiar with what's under the hood. The only fluid containers I was able to see was one with a pinkish fluid on the drivers side, and another container with a gold-colored fluid. I'm assuming that the pinkish fluid was the coolant, as the cap says like every other radiator cap "Do not open while hot!", but I could be wrong.

Anyways, I didn't see anything wrong, so I started the car again, and the coolant message didn't reappear. The car got as warm as it usually does while driving to work. Should I be concerned, or would the normal incline that it is usually parked in cause something like this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WrathX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WrathX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2003, 12:21 PM   #2
AZguy
Advanced Member
AZguy is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't worry about it unless the message appears while the car is level. My guess is the severe bank you were parked on may have exposed or 'fooled' the coolant level sensor to think you were out of fluid. When your're parked on slants, forward, backward, side to side, just about anything can happen! I've heard engines growl until the car was level again. Blame it on gravity.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AZguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AZguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2003, 12:30 PM   #3
ChrisION
ChrisION is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by AZguy
I wouldn't worry about it unless the message appears while the car is level. My guess is the severe bank you were parked on may have exposed or 'fooled' the coolant level sensor to think you were out of fluid. When your're parked on slants, forward, backward, side to side, just about anything can happen! I've heard engines growl until the car was level again. Blame it on gravity.
i'm with AZguy, the fluid in the container could have shifted so the sensor read it was empty. this happed to us but with the gas tank one day when parked on a hill. nothing to worry about

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChrisION's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChrisION reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2003, 12:33 PM   #4
lewis2
lewis2 is on a distinguished road

I think these answers are on the level.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lewis2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lewis2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2003, 12:48 PM   #5
WrathX
WrathX is on a distinguished road

Sweet, that's what I was thinking. I didn't want to have to take the car in for service after only having it 5 days Thanks guys!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WrathX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WrathX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2003, 12:49 PM   #6
silverblueL200

Isn't the coolant tank on the left in the ION? That would cause it to appear empty if it was parked at an angle tilting right I assume.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblueL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 08-15-2003, 01:00 PM   #7
OldGeezer
OldGeezer is on a distinguished road

Dizzy don't worry about it

"Wrathx" don't worry about it. I am somewhat of an expert on this "coolant" warning light as I have had quite a bit of experience with it and the coolant tank. The coolant tank is on the left side with the pinkish fluid. If you do indeed park with a heavy tilt to the right then the right side of the car is leaning "downhill". This would put the coolant tank at the highest level of the whole system. If you were to look closely, the hose running from that tank would also face "downhill" in the direction of the rest of the engine. A perfect setup for some fluid to drain down as air pockets "bleed" and coolant can thus flow down.

As "AZguy" noted do not worry unless the coolant light comes on when you are on a level surface. I did have it go off on me while level and it opened up a whole can of worms and stress for me. Turns out it was nothing and my Ion has been ok with only a minor top off of the coolant. Just go and enjoy your Ion !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldGeezer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldGeezer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2003, 05:16 PM   #8
BLUEION2
Advanced Member
BLUEION2 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Weird issue (bug or something serious?)

Quote:
Originally posted by WrathX
OK, car had a little under 400 miles on it when I started it this morning. A little extra background, my car is parked on a hill, and the car is on a horizontal angle (i.e. instead of parallel parking on hills like in San Francisco, I pull into a standard parking slot). The car has a pretty heavy tilt to the right while parked.

Anyway, I start the car up this morning, and immediately the odometer says "COOLANT". I read the manual, and it said that I should check the coolant level. Now, being that this is a new car, I haven't had too much opportunity to get familiar with what's under the hood. The only fluid containers I was able to see was one with a pinkish fluid on the drivers side, and another container with a gold-colored fluid. I'm assuming that the pinkish fluid was the coolant, as the cap says like every other radiator cap "Do not open while hot!", but I could be wrong.

Anyways, I didn't see anything wrong, so I started the car again, and the coolant message didn't reappear. The car got as warm as it usually does while driving to work. Should I be concerned, or would the normal incline that it is usually parked in cause something like this?

One day i was going down the road and all of a sudden, my car cut off. wasn't goin fast, or anything of the sort, it just shut off...the odometer read "pwr steering" I pulled over to check it out, radio worked, all accessories worked, but the car died, i had to coast to the side of the road and pull into a neighborhood. weird huh...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BLUEION2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BLUEION2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread