SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #1
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1
Default The end is near

My new car arrives this weekend, which spells the end for my Saturn. 17 years and 315,000 miles - a long and noble life. Couldn't have done it without the advice and encouragement from the fine members of this site, both past and present.

I'd like to see the Saturn go to a Saturnfan to either keep it going or use it for parts. It is a daily driver, but needs some work to make it a pleasant and safe one. PM me if you would like a $300 SC-1 that can be driven home with the a/c on.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: The end is near

It'd be a bit of a haul to Michigan...

:P

92 SC2
93 SC2
93 SW2
95 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
3 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Yes, that would be a long trip. The car would probably make it though, and you could impress your friends with how pristine the underside of a 17 year old car that's never seen road salt can be!!!

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

If you were closer and I had fewer cars lined up needing work in the driveway, I'd be tempted just for the rust free body

All the rust prone parts would get an immediate cleaning and POR15 coating

What's the new car? We're at a point where my wife is considering us going down to one registered/insured car in a few years, so it would need to be an automatic.

I'm opposed because I like having a backup car.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
BV22
Master Member

2002 SC1

Bought a 2018 Elantra GT, electric blue, 2.0 liter, 6 sp manual. The manual is hard to find, so the car is coming from out west somewhere, hence the wait.

A spare car is nice. My old Crown Vic has served that role for several years, but it too may go soon.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Old 08-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
Medtactics
Medtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really nice

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
If you were closer and I had fewer cars lined up needing work in the driveway, I'd be tempted just for the rust free body

All the rust prone parts would get an immediate cleaning and POR15 coating

What's the new car? We're at a point where my wife is considering us going down to one registered/insured car in a few years, so it would need to be an automatic.

I'm opposed because I like having a backup car.
Tell her my moms family's car ('16 chevy equinox clone) just spit out its oil pump after 100k miles. I had to drag mine out storage after the backup-backup car I was borrowing shredded a rear tire and a tie rod end is /\ this close from making it on the news in the same week. Now they have no vehicles at the moment besides a hobby wrangler set up for dune running.

Always have a second vehicle, even if it kept in storage unit, storage insurance is pretty cheap and dosen't cost as much as 'just getting insurance' when you need to bring it to road legal status, plate is what $80 a year?

If any user helped you, be sure to rep them.

Late 99 SC2 2.5 Gen, 237k miles

"Well... Now my car looks like a blackbarry." - Medtactics, 2017

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtactics View Post
Tell her my moms family's car ('16 chevy equinox clone) just spit out its oil pump after 100k miles. I had to drag mine out storage after the backup-backup car I was borrowing shredded a rear tire and a tie rod end is /\ this close from making it on the news in the same week. Now they have no vehicles at the moment besides a hobby wrangler set up for dune running.

Always have a second vehicle, even if it kept in storage unit, storage insurance is pretty cheap and dosen't cost as much as 'just getting insurance' when you need to bring it to road legal status, plate is what $80 a year?
Have to be careful what the owner of said storage unit does to clean up the place... (fairly local to me) http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Inv...490933681.html
3 rows of units, only 1 row destroyed...I've seen the burned out carcass of 1 car so far

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV22 View Post
Bought a 2018 Elantra GT, electric blue, 2.0 liter, 6 sp manual. The manual is hard to find, so the car is coming from out west somewhere, hence the wait.
Nice! I think I mentioned sitting in an Elantra back the last time I went car shopping and was pretty impressed. My wife just rented on last weekend and liked it (I had to drive the van because I as driving several kids to an amusement park; the SC2 would not have been suitable). I think an auto trans Elantra is something we could live with, since Ford and Chrysler apparently are gong to focus on trucks/SUVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtactics
Tell her my moms family's car ('16 chevy equinox clone) just spit out its oil pump after 100k miles. . . . Always have a second vehicle, even if it kept in storage unit, storage insurance is pretty cheap and dosen't cost as much as 'just getting insurance' when you need to bring it to road legal status, plate is what $80 a year?
Equinox 4-banger was a car I considered, decent mpg for the size, but I keep hearing horror stories.

Yeah, I agree with you on a 2nd car. Plate is cheap, but it is a hassle because you have to have insurance on the car to renew. I know you can cancel right after but it is a PITA.

My wife is considering changing insurance now, too, because they kept screwing up our car insurance. She was going to work on that until her mom got sick (recovering now). We found out they never canceled the insurance on our '02 Caravan, so we've been paying for it for several months, but that I have been driving my '02 Saturn without insurance for several months because they cancelled that insurance instead. The customer service rep and her manager listened to the recordings from when my wife called to change the insurance and agreed what my wife requested was very clear, so they have no idea what happened.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2018, 02:48 PM   #9
Medtactics
Medtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really nice

1999 SC2

Quote:
Equinox 4-banger was a car I considered, decent mpg for the size, but I keep hearing horror stories.

Yeah, I agree with you on a 2nd car. Plate is cheap, but it is a hassle because you have to have insurance on the car to renew. I know you can cancel right after but it is a PITA.
I believe it is terran or terron, something from GM based on the equinox.

I've driven a '14 equinox and was pretty nice, granted is still practically brand new with only 12k miles on it, spent most of its life in barn and was just there for my great grandmother to transport her.

State Farm does this thing where storage is just insurance that's temporarily frozen where you can still get your POI card updated every 6 months and can activate lt at any time you need to drive the vehicle, its something $18 a month for frozen insurance for me, unless activated you do have to full rate for the month though I believe.

Which to be honest Saturns are only ~$100 a month to insure regardless.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #10
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
My new car arrives this weekend, which spells the end for my Saturn. 17 years and 315,000 miles - a long and noble life. Couldn't have done it without the advice and encouragement from the fine members of this site, both past and present.

I'd like to see the Saturn go to a Saturnfan to either keep it going or use it for parts. It is a daily driver, but needs some work to make it a pleasant and safe one. PM me if you would like a $300 SC-1 that can be driven home with the a/c on.

If I was closer I might snag that, but it's a long drive back to Virginia. But unless the car is trash, a very fair price IMO. Out this way nobody gives them away really cheap any more.

Quote:

I had an Equinox 4 banger as a company car for a while, and it was far from terrible. If you can live with the lacking 0-60 times, actually it was a fairly decent car as far as ride quality, handling, shifting, road noise... really most car stuff. I wasn't a big fan of the styling either inside or out, but ergonomics and such were fine.

And in drive cycles that would get me 40 or so in the SL1, that thing would pull an honest 30+ MPG average. Not at all bad for the size and mixed driving.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #11
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

For that matter, my 05 malibu maxx pulls 30mpg with a very active 6 cyl and has lots of comfy room.
Balance that with my 04 suburban pulling in at 17+ mpg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:30 PM   #12
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

My spare car is a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 with the 4.7L V8 and an automatic. It has been a great vehicle. Now that I have the SC2, I drive it rarely. Last tank I pulled down 11.5 MPG.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #13
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtactics View Post
I've driven a '14 equinox and was pretty nice, granted is still practically brand new with only 12k miles on it, spent most of its life in barn and was just there for my great grandmother to transport her.
A couple of coworkers bought new Equinoxes, and they are very nice. One has very attractive black/brown leather trim inside.

Quote:
State Farm does this thing where storage is just insurance that's temporarily frozen where you can still get your POI card updated every 6 months and can activate lt at any time you need to drive the vehicle, its something $18 a month for frozen insurance for me, unless activated you do have to full rate for the month though I believe.

Which to be honest Saturns are only ~$100 a month to insure regardless.
Yeah, they are pretty cheap but my wife is even cheaper

Our goal for the next four years for our youngest to graduate college without any debt (we've already pulled it off for our oldest). But our youngest chose to go to a private, out of state college. No loan for the first year, not sure if we can continue for the next several.

So she's on a "every penny counts" kick right now, but then her mom got seriously ill (should make a full recovery, is at home recovering now). But all the driving to Detroit-area plus planning the drives to NY for college made her hyper-aware of the costs of gas and insurance.

I'm pretty sure we will stick to two cars, as I really don't like relying on one car, even if it is new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster
I had an Equinox 4 banger as a company car for a while, and it was far from terrible. If you can live with the lacking 0-60 times, actually it was a fairly decent car as far as ride quality, handling, shifting, road noise... really most car stuff. I wasn't a big fan of the styling either inside or out
I've only been in a 2016(?) recently and liked the interior from what I remember. And I agree, they seem fine with (relatively) lower miles. From what I remember, it's around the 100k ~ 150k miles that folks are seeing go south in the Equinox 4 bangers. I want any car to last because we will consider my retirement shortly after our last kid graduates.

I'd consider only the four because of the mileage. Once you go with the 6, mpg is actually worse than our minivans . . . so we'd be going to smaller car, lower mpg

Though - looking at 2018, it looks like Chevy has dropped the 6 cyl and now has a 1.6L turbo diesel - offering 39 mpg hwy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #14
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Yes, that would be a long trip. The car would probably make it though, and you could impress your friends with how pristine the underside of a 17 year old car that's never seen road salt can be!!!
You should see the undercarriage of my 93 SW2.

It still has factory exhaust. That came apart. Easily.

No body rust. None.

92 SC2
93 SC2
93 SW2
95 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
3 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #15
BV22
Master Member

2002 SC1

That's unusual for your location - good maintenance. I've never broken a bolt on this car either, and have replaced the fuel filter and the sway bar bushings as well as pulling the exhaust manifold off 4 times for secondary air injection system maintenance. Having grown up in Pittsburgh, I really appreciate things not rusting in the south..

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Old 08-22-2018, 01:00 PM   #16
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:

Yes, and they are all true. My personal mechanic and his wife had an Equinox with the 2.4L DOHC Scrap-O-Tec boat anchor. Fried the oil control rings at 24-25k miles and the dealership had to replace the engine under warranty. GM actually released a software update to REDUCE the mileage before the PCM would trigger the OCI light on your dash, as they found more frequently changed oil(instead of the 9k interval averages they normally have) reduced the possibility of destroying the ring pack prematurely.

Do NOT ever buy an Equinox. Go with a Honda, an Acura, or something from one of the foreign automakers when you want a decent crossover vehicle that is reliable.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #17
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
My spare car is a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 with the 4.7L V8 and an automatic. It has been a great vehicle. Now that I have the SC2, I drive it rarely. Last tank I pulled down 11.5 MPG.
Until you overheat even one time and drop your valve seats into the cylinders and destroy the block.

http://knowledgebase.powertrainprodu...7-5-7-engines/

Here is a video explaining what happens with the stock engines. This is the company i contacted, about a rebuild on my Saturn engine, when i was quoted $1,500. Now, the engines are priced at $2,841.00 fully rebuilt by them, for the S-Series.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #18
Medtactics

1999 SC2

Quote:
Though - looking at 2018, it looks like Chevy has dropped the 6 cyl and now has a 1.6L turbo diesel - offering 39 mpg hwy.
Check the diesel chevy cruze then, 65mpg avg on highway was attained, but this was in the desert side of California on pretty level surface of road in the middle of summer.

But hell 50mpg average is basically at the same level of mid-2000's Volkswagens.

I've been eyeing the '19 civic coupe, but they are standardizing all the currently available safety packages and adding an extra 200lbs to every trim. I am seriously considering contacting honda its self and just ask there is a way to get one off the line with all the crap, heck maybe ask for a racing frame instead...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #19
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

^^ I couldn't believe it until I looked it up.
You are correct on that impressive diesel mileage. And it's doing it with a 4-cyl not a 3.

Maybe I should slip that 4 banger diesel inside my John Deere 1026R.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #20
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

^^ I couldn't believe it until I looked it up.
You are correct on that impressive diesel mileage. And it's doing it with a 4-cyl not a 3.

Maybe I should slip that 4 banger diesel inside my John Deere 1026R.

But what's up with that engine.....every used one I see has between 36 & 44 K miles on it....engine issues?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!