SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #1
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2
Default Adding side curtain airbags to 2007 Ion 3

The local u-pull just got a 2004 Ion 3 with side curtain airbags.

I am thinking of pulling them to put in my 2007 Ion 3 which doesn't have them.

Possible?

Anything I need to know?

Where do they pull their power? Sensor?

Peter

Peter in Lansing MI

current cars:
94 SW2 (White, automatic)
99 SL2 (Silver Plum, manual)
99 SL2 (Dark Blue, manual)
04 Ion 3 (Berry Red, 2.0L automatic)
07 Ion 3 (Cypress Green, 2.4L, manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Adding side curtain airbags to 2007 Ion 3

There's a reason why your '07 doesn't have side curtain airbags. I don't know why '03's have them and '07's don't. Unless someone more knowledgeable has info, you're left to guess and research. The '04 Ion Coupe is shown below with sensors and airbag locations. There's quite a bit of sophistication with airbags with many never deploying from drivers going thru life avoiding the once in a lifetime collision where airbags can save a life. Personally, I don't assume adding airbags as plug n' play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04 Ion Coupe Airbag System.jpg (178.1 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

I have seen 06 Ion 3s with the side curtain bags, but they also had the leather interior and the tweeters on the side mirror covers.

Given that, I was just assuming that the side-curtain airbags were one of luxury Ion 3 options.

About being plug-n-play, I can see that it would NOT be (and I probably shouldn't try to install them, just for safety reasons) because I know the wiring harness from the luxury Ion 3s was different than the standard Ion 3s' since it didn't have the connector for the tweeters. I will look closer this time, I am just excited to have found an Ion 3 with all the leather bells & whistles in my color (beige interior).

Peter in Lansing MI

current cars:
94 SW2 (White, automatic)
99 SL2 (Silver Plum, manual)
99 SL2 (Dark Blue, manual)
04 Ion 3 (Berry Red, 2.0L automatic)
07 Ion 3 (Cypress Green, 2.4L, manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:55 PM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

Side curtain airbags were an option on all year ions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2

you could add it but will need the side impact discrimanatin sensors and make a harness to connect them..and possably a new sdm and connecter..then the issue would be pinning the connecter right for the yr you are going to use..after those hurdles you would need to find someone with access to an mdi&tis2web and attenmpt to program it and sync the sdm/bcm/ecm and set up the primary key..most dealers will be out like a trout due to if they do it and it fails or your in a wreck and they fail to deploy that dealer will be ****ed and probably loose their franchise..you might find someone like me maby..but again I personaly wouldn't want the liability...it can be done.it's a question of time and money...how much do you want to spend..if the answer is up to 2 or 4 k then go for it and evan then it might not work as you are in uncharted territory.. good luck

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:23 PM   #6
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
Side curtain airbags were an option on all year ions.
And didn't increase passenger protection very much according to IIHS and NHTSA.

Went form "poor" to marginal", IIRC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

Crazy it had optional side curtain head airbags but na was side seat airbags to protect body. Today allvehicle have side body and head protection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote