SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
Medtactics
Medtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really nice

1999 SC2
Default No brake loghts

Center and corners won't illuminate with pedal pressed, but all other light functions work, including parking lights.

Bad brake switch? Checked fuses, all good.

If any user helped you, be sure to rep them.

Late 99 SC2 2.5 Gen, 237k miles

"Well... Now my car looks like a blackbarry." - Medtactics, 2017

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
Medtactics
Medtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really nice

1999 SC2
Default Re: No brake loghts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtactics View Post
Center and corners won't illuminate with pedal pressed, but all other light functions work, including parking lights.

Bad brake switch? Checked fuses, all good.
Got 14v to from a brown wire going to the switch, and I believe it is grounded too from the mounting bracket.

Brown does 14v to all wires except orange. And orange wire seems dead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
Medtactics

1999 SC2

Quote:
Got 14v to from a brown wire going to the switch, and I believe it is grounded too from the mounting bracket.

Brown does 14v to all wires except orange. And orange wire seems dead.
Update #4 15amp fuse is blowing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #4
Medtactics

1999 SC2

Quote:
Update #4 15amp fuse is blowing.
So with tail lights removed and brake switch removed, no short With tail lights and no brake switch, no short.

As soon as I plug the brake switch in, short and a fuse goes pop.

The only thing I haven't tried is a fresh fuse and voltmeter the orange+brown with the brake switch removed. But so far I'm leaning towards brake switch failure after I did a quick run down of the loom and nothing seemed out of place.

If line was dead with bad fuse that should indicate a no short correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

If wiring is good, and nothing popped the fuse until you worked on the brake light switch (under the dash) and then it began blowing the fuse, replace that switch and then insert a new fuse and it should be good.

Just curious were you using a digital or analog voltmeter to read that 14 vdc and not 12 vdc?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
Medtactics

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
If wiring is good, and nothing popped the fuse until you worked on the brake light switch (under the dash) and then it began blowing the fuse, replace that switch and then insert a new fuse and it should be good.

Just curious were you using a digital or analog voltmeter to read that 14 vdc and not 12 vdc?
It's a new Battery, so possibly that be, its technically for a light duty Class 6 truck soo...

Let's also hope it goes through for tonight for next day delivery, its gonna be a pain flicking the parking lights on and off.

Part dosen't seem to exist anymore for brick and mortar shops.

Last edited by Medtactics; 08-20-2018 at 06:22 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #7
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Ebay, anywhere from $13 for an off brand to $32 to 40 for the AC Delco.

GM 21020601 (discontinued)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Desc=0&_sop=15

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
Medtactics

1999 SC2

Put in a new fuse checked voltage and it was 15.5v, battery is the same, with the vehicle off.

The new switch popped the fuse.

Ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #9
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

New switch popped the fuse too?
Just curious, where did you find the correct switch so fast? Locally?

Then, you are left with hunting for a skinned wire touching bare metal.
My suspicion would be where ever the harness is underneath the car body....gotta use a 12v probe light and determine where you do and don't have 12v heading to the back sockets.....might even be a bad socket shorting out.

Last edited by toggenburg; 08-22-2018 at 06:15 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2018, 06:16 PM   #10
Medtactics

1999 SC2

Quote:
Put in a new fuse checked voltage and it was 15.5v, battery is the same, with the vehicle off.

The new switch popped the fuse.

Ideas?
Orange-brown has voltage
Orange-blue x2 has voltage
Orange-blacks x2 has voltage

So which isn't supposed to be making a connection?

Think I found it, removed both taillights one at a time and the right one gives voltage. Disconnected to orange

Rockauto overnight shipping.

Last edited by Medtactics; 08-22-2018 at 06:21 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2018, 06:37 PM   #11
Medtactics

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
New switch popped the fuse too?
Just curious, where did you find the correct switch so fast? Locally?

Then, you are left with hunting for a skinned wire touching bare metal.
My suspicion would be where ever the harness is underneath the car body....gotta use a 12v probe light and determine where you do and don't have 12v heading to the back sockets.....might even be a bad socket shorting out.
Socket isn't shorting, no voltage to any wires at the socket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2018, 07:54 PM   #12
Medtactics

1999 SC2

On a whim I decided to unplug the center lights after finding a splice for it and the tail lights are running on a 2.5amp fuse (thank God for LEDs).

Ripped/cut out the entire driver side carpet, it was wet and wasen't helping anything by just existing.

Looks like a mouse got it when I had to stop driving the sat for a month.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #13
Medtactics

1999 SC2

https://m.imgur.com/a/Wm5pnRD

Well on the plus side I have the side brake lights for now, carpet on one side removed to my disgust, and a tangle of wires I shall take care of on some other day. Its been 8 hours, I'm tired, hungry, still covered in sweat from work earlier in the day, hand cut up, but God as my witness I have brake lights (sort of).

Now just to get new coolent/intake sensors, and a MAF sensor, removed the EGR so it would stop pushing the idle down to 400, and stop mimicking a vacuum leak sending the rpms to 4000 if I dare tapped the pedal (it's not the TPS, I checked) and allow me to cruise at 70mph with out throttle input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #14
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

By the time I made it to this thread, I was going to suggest a bare wire being grounded, but looking at your pictures, I see you found it already. Adopt a cat, and those mice will go bye-bye.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote