SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
bigbadblo1
bigbadblo1 is on a distinguished road

Default Is my Vue (2004 manual) toast? Ack!

Hey folks, long-time lurker here.

My Saturn Vue (2004, manual) with just shy of 160k was making a strange noise at speed -- brought it in for an assessment -- and the results were sad (and expensive).

GM dealership stated the following:
* Transaxle assembly needs replacing (?!)
* Left front hub bearing needs replacing (...)
* Right intermediate shaft needs replacing (ugh.)

I'm not a mechanic, nor do I really know what the hell is going on under the hood. I *DO* know that I love my Saturn, and I'd like this little fella to last longer than what is likely realistic.

What should I do? Gather a second opinion? Costs put the repairs at around $4k, which forces my hand to say goodbye really... but could there be another option?

I'm open to any thoughts / suggestions / feedback. Again, not a car guy... just love my Saturn. Thanks,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbadblo1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbadblo1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbadblo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Is my Vue (2004 manual) toast? Ack!

Do you have a local (non-dealership) mechanic? I'd let them look at it and give you a price before you made any decisions. Seems strange that all 3 of those just happen to be bad at the same time.

The dealer wanted to rip my transmission apart cause it was tough to shift - I was there for a complimentary oil change and figured I'd inquire while I was there...I'm glad I decided to get another opinion as my regular (non-dealer) mechanic who I've been going to for years said the real fix was replacing the shifter cables...just my example - saved me a ton of $ and fixed the problem.

Get a 2nd opinion from a trusted mechanic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

You need a second opinion..

You probably need front bearings, very common. I recommend doing both sides.. ($35 each plus labor) Can be a real %^&*&^% to replace.

You probably need the right side drive shaft intermediate bearing, again, very common ($10 plus labor).

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
Manospeed
Manospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura about

I would stay away from car dealership shops. They will charge a premium per hour labor rate. Try to find an independent mechanic where you can order the parts online and they will agree to install the parts for you, essentially you'll be paying only for their labor.

When buying parts from dealerships, the dealership is making a profit on the parts as well. You can find parts relatively cheaper from online parts vendors. I get all my parts from rockauto.

With that said, I would recommend you try to get your feet wet and do the work yourself. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube showing you how to do x job. As long as you have the willingness to learn and are open to buying quality tools for the job, you will save a lot of money in the long run.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Manospeed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Manospeed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Manospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #5
bigbadblo1
bigbadblo1 is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the delayed response -- have been travelling for work. I appreciate the feedback and encouragement for a 2nd opinion -- I've scheduled a consult with someone who's been recommended to me in the area to see what they say.

I'll keep you posted if it's wildly different than the initial estimate (I hope so)! Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbadblo1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbadblo1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbadblo1 is offline   Reply With Quote