SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
Magicman
Magicman has a spectacular aura aboutMagicman has a spectacular aura aboutMagicman has a spectacular aura about

Default 1999 SC2 Catalytic Converter replacement choice?

My son's 1999 SC2 had an exhaust leak, now the whole thing from the cat back is hanging down. I am not convinced that the cat converter on this car is original, as the rear oxygen sensor is coming out of the top of it .....unlike my own '96 SC2 and other photos I have seen online.

Rock Auto has a very reasonable price for the entire exhaust system, minus the cat ......so I'm thinking about just replacing everything. Besides, I think the bracket after the cat is messed up.

The catalytic converters that seem to fit best on this car are very expensive and seem to have a special bracket on them. Can anyone recommend a more reasonable replacement that will still work and fit? Thanks!

Thanks,

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Magicman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Magicman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: 1999 SC2 Catalytic Converter replacement choice?

I had a similar situation and just had a exhaust shop weld the pipe back together. They tend to let go at the union between the catalytic converter and the mid pipe. I had them weld on new hangers as well as that was the cause of the break; the hanger let go, the pipe sagged and the joint split open. The OEM pipes are stainless and last some time while any welds or unions tend to rust out.

2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
tracetrimble
tracetrimble has a spectacular aura abouttracetrimble has a spectacular aura abouttracetrimble has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: 1999 SC2 Catalytic Converter replacement choice?

I was told by an exhaust shop that I trust to only use Eastern brand replacement cats. They have about the same amount of Pt in them as OEM. Rockauto has the best prices. I went through about 3 aftermarket weld-in universal cats on my truck after smashing the OEM one offroading, and each lasted a year or less. I replaced the whole Y pipe with an Eastern, and new O2s at the same time. Haven't had another problem in about 3 years now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tracetrimble's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tracetrimble reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tracetrimble is offline   Reply With Quote