SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #1
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2
Default Not Dead Yet

When my clutch pedal dropped to the floor last week, figured my silver blue SL was on its last leg... . What bothered me was that the pedal seemed to have dropped overnight, wouldn't think a clutch would fail so suddenly.

Posted ad on Craigslist, figuring it was a goner. Hard to justify new clutch in 17 year old vehicle with 17 years of Midwest winters (and salted roads).

Dropped it off to be looked at, mechanic thought I was crazy (pedal low, but still could shift), but insisted something was not right. Eventually decided it was worth trying new slave/master cylinder replacement.

Made a huge improvement in pedal firmness and travel. Clutch itself still has 315,000 miles on it, but it shifts as well as ever.

Celebrated with a good wash and cleaning... . Downside of it surviving will be having to do the maintenance needed to get it to 400,000 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6619.JPG (114.9 KB, 23 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2
Default Re: Not Dead Yet

Just keep the oil level topped off, and you'll be fine

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:33 PM   #3
MiSaturn

2002 SL
1991 SL2

With oil consumption of around 2000 mi +/- per quart, my '02 might be less thirsty than my new Subaru... . No doubt due to averaging 2400 mi between oil/filter changes.

Hate to think what the normal maintenance on the Saturn's been over the past 17 years. 125+ oil filters and 500 qts. of oil adds up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

That's a stunning look with 315k miles on the same clutch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #5
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

I test drove a 1993 sc1, odo broke at 311k, owner believed to have 475-500k on it, claims it was the original clutch. He drove almost always highway, rarely had to shift. To me it felt like it was down to the rivets, but it still engaged and didnt slip. Blew me away. I dug deeper and he showed me the paperwork for it, never had it replaced. I believe its for sale too in the classifieds right now, he said hes going to scrap it if it doesnt sell.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
MiSaturn

2002 SL
1991 SL2

Original clutch, original rear brakes, head gasket, and all original engine internals. Pretty amazed with what hasn't failed over 17 years.

The only thing that's gone bad (that I wouldn't have expected) was the rods holding rear axle in place rusting through.

Came back on a Chicago-Detroit run hearing a thumping on passenger side that I couldn't identify. Drove it a few days when I finally took it to the mechanic to see what was up.

Mechanic called and told me how lucky I was for not losing the rear axle - one side had completely rusted through, was hitting underside of body. Other side not far behind. Said he could rotate axle front to back by about 6 inches.

17 years and car has never stranded me... . Driven it with gushing water pump, failed alternator, no clutch pedal and half of rear axle not attached. Not bad for economy car that cost $9600 with tax new!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post
Hate to think what the normal maintenance on the Saturn's been over the past 17 years. 125+ oil filters and 500 qts. of oil adds up.
It adds up to less than a year's worth new car payment, I bet

I agree with fdryer, nice looking car, esp with the miles (which are not outrageous for the years)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote