SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #1
Steve44
Steve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really nice

1999 SL1
1999 SL2
Default A/C Hose.

I haven't been here in a while, as divorce and other things have taken most of my time.
Here goes: This 99 SL2 is the only one that I have had A/C trouble with.
I purchased a new TXV, Condenser, and Receiver Dryer from Rock Auto.
Let me be clear, the a/c was working pretty good, but sometimes wouldn't work at all. NOW, I started to work on it, and the first thing that happend, was the line out of the dryer broke. Yup, the line that goes to the evap.
I can't find a listing for this line, as it LOOKS like it is one part that goes also to the Low side of the compressor.
A little help would be greatly appreciated, as My Dog HAS to go everywhere with me, and I MUST have A/C for her.

Thanks

Steve

The SL1...The Lucky Car
The SL2..The awesome deal.
The #3 Silver SL2 FIVE SPEED!
World's biggest fan of doing it the easy way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steve44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steve44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: A/C Hose.

So your dog deserves ac but you and passengers don't? Is he/she a huge Great Dane, Alaskan Malamute, English Mastiff, German Shepherd, Rottweiler, or something similar, panting and drooling all over the inside of your car?

The drier line comes either from the condenser coil or goes to the thermal expansion valve. All small diameter ac lines are the high pressure side (starting from the discharge/pulley side of compressor).The large diameter suction line comes from the txv and returns to the rear port of the compressor. Either a patient search online from GM parts, ebay or rockauto should provide either stock or aftermarket replacement. Last resort if new parts are no longer available would be junk yards. Even ebay have sellers for used parts.

I replaced condenser coil and two lines from TYC with zero issues on my L300 three years ago. Great ac still. The lines are mixed flex hose and hard line with machined crimps rivaling stock at less cost without sacrificing quality. Original ac parts were made in Mexico and lasted ten years of NYC potholes.

If you need procedures, pm me an email address and I'll send files. If you need vacuum procedures and other miscellaneous specs, include them in your request. You always have choices to make 100% repairs or replace parts, replenish oil lost in parts replacement, and leaving the evacuation and refilling to a repair shop.

Last edited by fdryer; 08-19-2018 at 07:48 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:40 PM   #3
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

There is a short metal line that is part of the dryer that screws to the hard line that goes to the TXV. That line is all metal and not typically replaced so it would have to be a junk yard item. What actually broke?

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
Steve44
Steve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really nice

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
So your dog deserves ac but you and passengers don't? Is he/she a huge Great Dane, Alaskan Malamute, English Mastiff, German Shepherd, Rottweiler, or something similar, panting and drooling all over the inside of your car?

The drier line comes either from the condenser coil or goes to the thermal expansion valve. All small diameter ac lines are the high pressure side (starting from the discharge/pulley side of compressor).The large diameter suction line comes from the txv and returns to the rear port of the compressor. Either a patient search online from GM parts, ebay or rockauto should provide either stock or aftermarket replacement. Last resort if new parts are no longer available would be junk yards. Even ebay have sellers for used parts.

I replaced condenser coil and two lines from TYC with zero issues on my L300 three years ago. Great ac still. The lines are mixed flex hose and hard line with machined crimps rivaling stock at less cost without sacrificing quality. Original ac parts were made in Mexico and lasted ten years of NYC potholes.

If you need procedures, pm me an email address and I'll send files. If you need vacuum procedures and other miscellaneous specs, include them in your request. You always have choices to make 100% repairs or replace parts, replenish oil lost in parts replacement, and leaving the evacuation and refilling to a repair shop.
Before I read your entire reply, let me help you understand. My Dog is the ONLY one who travels with me. My Ex-wife called me 18 months ago and told me if I didn't come and get Her, She would take the Dog to the pound, where she would be put down. I saved the Dogs life, and She goes everywhere with Me. She is a German Shepherd, who has terrible separation anxiety, and cost me a door that She destroyed to get out to try and find me. I love this Dog more than any of my friends, and most of my Family.
Hope that Helps.

The SL1...The Lucky Car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Steve44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #5
Steve44

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1 View Post
There is a short metal line that is part of the dryer that screws to the hard line that goes to the TXV. That line is all metal and not typically replaced so it would have to be a junk yard item. What actually broke?
Thanks Greg. Yes, it is the hard line. While attempting to remove the hard line fitting to the Dryer, the line wasn't having any of it, and broke off right at the fitting. It was seized. Here is Canada, stuff tends to rust and seize more than in the States. After all, it is 20 years old,
I'm off to the Pick n Pull.

Thanks again.

Steve

The SL1...The Lucky Car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your love of your Dog is reflective of many stories between man and animals and my previous question was meant as heart warming praise, putting family and friends second to your Dog. I meant no offense. My offer of files remains.

When encountering seized fasteners, sometimes applications of liquid penetrating solvent works. Other times, pneumatic tools. And last but not in the least, heat to help break the bonds. Maybe all three for stubborn jobs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #7
tracetrimble
tracetrimble has a spectacular aura abouttracetrimble has a spectacular aura abouttracetrimble has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve44 View Post
Before I read your entire reply, let me help you understand. My Dog is the ONLY one who travels with me. My Ex-wife called me 18 months ago and told me if I didn't come and get Her, She would take the Dog to the pound, where she would be put down. I saved the Dogs life, and She goes everywhere with Me. She is a German Shepherd, who has terrible separation anxiety, and cost me a door that She destroyed to get out to try and find me. I love this Dog more than any of my friends, and most of my Family.
Hope that Helps.
I can't add anything to the actual topic, but you should try crate training. People think it's cruel, but that's because we think like people. All the dogs I've ever had or been around that were crate trained actually start to love their crate after just a few stints in it. It really decreases their anxiety. Most will hang out in their crate pretty often on their own. It's their safe space.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tracetrimble's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tracetrimble reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tracetrimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #8
Steve44

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracetrimble View Post
I can't add anything to the actual topic, but you should try crate training. People think it's cruel, but that's because we think like people. All the dogs I've ever had or been around that were crate trained actually start to love their crate after just a few stints in it. It really decreases their anxiety. Most will hang out in their crate pretty often on their own. It's their safe space.
While I appreciate your reply, honestly I do, I statrted laughing really hard when I look back and remember the couple times We tried to Crate train her.
I have never seen a dog do more damage to a crate in my life, and when we got home, there she was, proud as a peacock of her accomplishment.
Next time we got a bigger better crate. Ha! she broke out of that one too.
She's 7-1/2 years old, and truly is my best friend.

I wasn't offended fdryer, I know full well that you are the resident expert on A/C here.
The good news is that I managed to get the tube out of a wreck, clean it out, change the TXV, the dryer and we are cool as cucumbers today!
I hope I never have to change a txv in an sl2 ever again (it came out of an SC1), and am so happy I had access to a hoist!
Thanks everyone!

The SL1...The Lucky Car

Last edited by Steve44; 08-21-2018 at 08:04 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2018, 08:30 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Resident expert here? Nope, no chance. What I know was learned thru practice, mistakes and learning from others to share here. If I were an expert I wouldn't reply here at all and make one simple statement - Pay me for my expertise. I can be reached at 123-456-7890. ACME MVAC/Fred's Bait & Tackle shop. ACMEACFB&TS@wetakeyourmoneyandrun.com. Our motto is "Once you're hooked, we're not lettin' you go....."

I wish you had a youtube video of your Dog breaking out of a crate. Her smile would probably show, posing in front of the camera.

Glad you sorted things out with a great repair. Hopefully, everything was done right to have ac for as many years as possible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!