SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #1
tneises
tneises is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Unknown cable

My son is out of town and the steel belt came off the tire and ripped the left front fender and inner fender and pulled a cable harness out. I think it maybe the engine cable harness???...I really don't know. It appears that this cable must have run along the inner fender and enter inside the cabin just in front of the drivers door and goes under the dash. I tried to attach the pic he sent me.
Any help on identifying this cable and if anyone else has experienced this and what the repair was. Can that harness be repaired or does it just need to be replaced? Hopefully he will send me a close up picture of the harness and the ends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_0001.jpg (120.9 KB, 33 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tneises's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tneises reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tneises is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Unknown cable

That sounds/looks like the forward lamp harness from the UHJB. Likely you will have to replace the UHJB and the harness, can not tell for sure without more decent pictures, connector on the far end. You can find the correct parts from a junkyard and generally it is year, engine, transmission, and options specific. How and what is determined by what it looks like. Not terribly expensive and IF the car runs it can be fixed easily as long as the car is parked and not driven until fixed particularly in water/rain.

In this case I will look up the lamp harness and it might be a 98/99 part for all models and variations.

Modern low rolling resistance tires do things like that when run with low pressure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

IF it is the forward lamp harness then a 97 or 98 model year Sedan or Wagon will fit and function. What else is trashed depends on inspection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2018, 08:13 PM   #4
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Car-Part com has wiring harnesses.
That picture is terrifying!
Are those the PCM connectors and the connectors for the gauge cluster? I hope not.

From the 1998 FSM:

You could have yanked the cable off the PCM.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Both the I/P and forward lamp harnesses run out of there.

The reason I asked for better pictures is you can not tell what they are from that picture so I decided to not speculate on the extent of damage. Whatever it is this will be a DIY repair as no sane person would take on this job as it will be quite a time consumer.

Maybe you can see why I rant against the door sticker hype.

Last edited by OldNuc; 08-19-2018 at 09:22 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #6
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

That is the engine harness and it's pretty clear that it ripped out of the body side pass through. You can only hope that the connectors on the other end are still usable. The PCM is one of them and they all have lock mechanisms to ensure they don't vibrate out of position.

When I did my conversion from automatic to manual on my 99 SL2 I removed that harness with the complete engine/transmission assembly attached. I unplugged all the interior connections and pulled it through the body and un-clipped it from the wheel well area.

If both sides of the connectors came out then you're into replacing some of the interior wire harnesses, PCM and possibly the gauge cluster.

2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Gee, the tire in the photo doesn't even look like it's pitifully low on pressure -- although the tread looks bald. What brand of tires were those?!?!

Glad your son wasn't injured at least!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
That is the engine harness and it's pretty clear that it ripped out of the body side pass through. You can only hope that the connectors on the other end are still usable. The PCM is one of them and they all have lock mechanisms to ensure they don't vibrate out of position.

When I did my conversion from automatic to manual on my 99 SL2 I removed that harness with the complete engine/transmission assembly attached. I unplugged all the interior connections and pulled it through the body and un-clipped it from the wheel well area.

If both sides of the connectors came out then you're into replacing some of the interior wire harnesses, PCM and possibly the gauge cluster.
If that turns out to be the engine harness then it also has taken out parts of the i/p harness as well. If the assurance clips were in place there are several trashed components.

As to steel belted tires if the sidewall lists a 45+ full load pressure running at ~1/2 that pressure for any continuous period of time runs the real risk of belt separation. When steel belts first showed up in the US belt separation was a relatively common event as the country adapted to steel belt radials from cross bias tires. This can happen with cloth belts as well.

The front wheel load of the Saturn is about 750lb.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!