SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
ryanguy426
ryanguy426 is on a distinguished road

Default Easiest way to tap reverse wire for dimming mirror?

I recently wired up an auto-dim mirror from a Suburban and it has a feature to undim when in reverse. I don't really need it but I would like it to be 100% functional just for the sake of completion.

What's the easiest way to tap into the reverse lights? I'd rather not run a wire under the entire carpet to the back of the car. I already have wires run through my firewall so if there's an easy spot in there that would be cool too.

It's a 1998 SW1 with an automatic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ryanguy426's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ryanguy426 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ryanguy426 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Easiest way to tap reverse wire for dimming mirror?

The back-up lights are operated by a switch on the top-rear of the trans, about one foot below the brake master cylinder. You shouldn't have to go any further than there, right in front of the firewall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
ryanguy426
ryanguy426 is on a distinguished road

Are you talking about the bundle of like 16 wires right below it? If so, do you know which wire to tap?

1998 White SW1 Auto. Short ram and other mods not worth the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ryanguy426's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ryanguy426 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ryanguy426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

16 wires sounds like too many for either of the cables connecting to the TAAT trans. The cable on the very top of the trans, on the outside of the trans top cover, has 10 wires; and that isn't the one I'm talking about. On the back side of the trans (toward firewall) is the "range switch", mounted kind of concentric with the shift-lever shaft; you should see the lever and shift cable attached to it fairly easily. That cable has even less than 10 wires, I'm guessing about 7-8; but I believe the one you are looking for there is Light Green. That wire gets connected to 12V when the trans is in R (key-on); it should be easy to verify with a voltmeter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote