SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
sc2 saturn
sc2 saturn is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default sc2 axle seal question

i changed my axle seal driver side last night 4 hours later got it in... cause didn't realize there was a snap ring that held it in, i was curious could i person remove the snap ring and leave it out? cause the seal seems to have a tight fit into the housing and also dose passenger side have snap ring too or only driver side? i did put the snap ring back in just to make sure cause wasn't sure if i could just leave it out

its a 01 sc2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2 saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: sc2 axle seal question

It's gotta be there.
Snap rings are designed to sit in their fossa/groove and keep every thing from shifting, that snap ring ensures you don't have it all fly off as you drive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

In theory itís pretty critical. Nothing wrong with compressing the axle, holding it compressed and tapping with sledge hammer to seat.
However I have reassembled without the snap ring when I didnít have one on hand and proceeded to put over 1,000 miles on it without issue.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:45 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc2 saturn View Post
i changed my axle seal driver side last night 4 hours later got it in... cause didn't realize there was a snap ring that held it in, i was curious could i person remove the snap ring and leave it out? cause the seal seems to have a tight fit into the housing and also dose passenger side have snap ring too or only driver side? i did put the snap ring back in just to make sure cause wasn't sure if i could just leave it out

its a 01 sc2
The left side axle seal on the transmission is the only one with a snap ring on it. Not sure why they think the seal needs the snap ring to hold it in place but I would think that they felt it is needed for what ever reason. Someone had to justify the expense of having it there.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote