SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #1
SIRPAULGERMAN
SIRPAULGERMAN is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Surge tank is problematic

Well I just replaced the original surge tank because it was leaking when the car get hot, it was leaking trough the cap, so i replaced the cap and it did not help.
Anyway I got another surge tank from Rock auto (ULTRA-POWER 603121 ) and I am having the same problem, is leaking trough the cap. this cap is different you cant tied all they way in.

Any particular idea how to fix this problem ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SIRPAULGERMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SIRPAULGERMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SIRPAULGERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Surge tank is problematic

Other than the possibility of finding poorly made aftermarket surge tanks and pressure caps, unless you can determine what the operating pressures are in your cooling system (overheating leading to higher pressures), guessing can be expensive. If you can, try borrowing a cooling system pressure tester from Autozone or Advance Auto (if they have one to borrow). Adapters for radiators, surge tanks and pressure caps complete these kits to test cooling systems and caps separately. A hand held sir pump pressurizes the cooling system or cap to factory specified pressures for the vehicle to find weaknesses in hoses, clamps, fittings, radiator, thermostat gaskets and heater cores. Pressure caps are tested for rated pressures.

System operating pressures for '01 SL1/SL2/SW are 15 psi.
Attached Images
File Type: gif TifToGif.gif (15.4 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Take a spare radiator cap, shove a tire valve stem in it and use any tire pressure gauge to check pressure. DIY pressure tester for under $5; though I don't have a clue what a 'proper' pressure tester costs so maybe that $5 isn't much of a savings.

Similar idea for the older style cooling system: https://www.instructables.com/id/Mak...essure-Tester/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
SIRPAULGERMAN

2002 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Other than the possibility of finding poorly made aftermarket surge tanks and pressure caps, unless you can determine what the operating pressures are in your cooling system (overheating leading to higher pressures), guessing can be expensive. If you can, try borrowing a cooling system pressure tester from Autozone or Advance Auto (if they have one to borrow). Adapters for radiators, surge tanks and pressure caps complete these kits to test cooling systems and caps separately. A hand held sir pump pressurizes the cooling system or cap to factory specified pressures for the vehicle to find weaknesses in hoses, clamps, fittings, radiator, thermostat gaskets and heater cores. Pressure caps are tested for rated pressures.

System operating pressures for '01 SL1/SL2/SW are 15 psi.
I was able to fix it by tying the cap when the car was hot, it stop the leaking however I dont feel confident that it is going to last

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SIRPAULGERMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Take a spare radiator cap, shove a tire valve stem in it and use any tire pressure gauge to check pressure. DIY pressure tester for under $5; though I don't have a clue what a 'proper' pressure tester costs so maybe that $5 isn't much of a savings.

Similar idea for the older style cooling system: https://www.instructables.com/id/Mak...essure-Tester/
I reviewed that link. It describes older radiator caps. The idea may or may not be applicable to surge tanks with plastic pressure/vacuum caps. Did you adapt a surge tank cap with a tire valve? I don't know if our pressure caps lends itself to inserting a tire valve among the pressure and vacuum valve unless they're removed...........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
SIRPAULGERMAN

2002 SL2
2001 SL1

I am still loosing coolant from somewhere in the system, I went back to a OEM radiator cap, but when the car gets hot, I am loosing water, I am going back to the original surge tank, any idea what is going on ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Either you're losing coolant from the coolant container, cap or elsewhere. Initial posts are about the coolant container and cap and now coolant leaking elsewhere.........

At what temperature does the temperature gauge needle move to when coolant leaks? If you have a reader, what's the digital temperature when coolant leaks out?

An old cap can be modified to insert a tire valve as suggested by fetchitfido but you'll have to make this mod along with an air pump with pressure gauge to pump the cooling system no more than 20 psi (otherwise damage can occur to gaskets, hoses, O-rings. Cold pressurization is safer in testing cooling systems. A bicycle pump with gauge works here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #8
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Are you losing coolant, or USING coolant?
Meaning, do you see any fluid leaks anywhere on the ground, water pump, splashed onto the serpentine belt or the coolant tank or pressure cap threads?
If not, then it may be that the engine is using coolant...ie, head gasket leak.
Any white, sweet smelling clouds out the tailpipe, especially at a cold startup?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:38 PM   #9
SIRPAULGERMAN

2002 SL2
2001 SL1

I am using water until i solve the problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #10
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

I am also having the same problem, a clear defined leak and hiss from the cap. I see the dried coolant too, but the loss is barely noticeable. Its every third week I have to add about a cup of 50/50 mix.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:20 PM   #11
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

But, you only said "I am using water until i solve the problem".
That does not begin to answer the questions I laid out....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote