SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
Barnett
Barnett is on a distinguished road

Default HAI: How hot is to hot?

'96 SC2. So I got a piece of 3" vent pipe and a 90 elbow run out of an airfilter box from a junk yard SW2 and put a spare IATS in the airstream, approximately in the same position the actual IATS is in the airstream, from the pipe inside the filter box wired to a digital multimeter in the cabin for cheap real time monitoring as I drive. It got down to 290ish ohlms which would put the air temp at around 190f ish according to Oldnuc's temp chart I found in here. I didn't feel any noticable loss of power on my drive to work this morning.

So as the title says, how hot is to hot?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Barnett's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Barnett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
Barnett

Default Re: HAI: How hot is to hot?

Ambient temperature this morning was 70s.

More info from my commute home. Ambient temperature is 85, resistance dropped to 180 ohlms when at traffic lights, with one instance of dropping to 90 olhms (260 ) driving slowly through the mall parking lot to stop by harbor freight. The car seemed to act fine, though, but that is way too hot for my comfort.

Going 60 on the highway the resistance hovered around 300 olhms (180).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Barnett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #3
Barnett

The first pic is how my HAI was setup this morning. Minus the slits, I started making adjustments before I took a before pic. I had the vent pipe butted up to the manifold. That yielded way to high intake temps, though I would have expected melted plastic in the air filter box there wasn't any.

After cutting the slits in the vent pipe I realized that I could just angle the pipe back like in the second pic. So I can make adjustments without mangling the vent pipe elbow

We'll see how it goes in my commute tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180816_170727.jpg (104.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20180816_170836.jpg (96.6 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

How hot is too hot for a hot air intake? The simple answer: when plastic melts. Now your question will be what type of plastic is used in the intake air tubing and its melting point? Other plastics melting points? Plastic used in sensors? Perhaps you should consider temperature probes dedicated to a meter for on board monitoring instead of continually converting resistance values to temperatures? I use one with dual temperature probes to check icebox, oven, hot water heating systems, etc..

What purpose is this hot air intake for?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

To a certain point the hotter the better; once it gets too hot it'll either ping from pre-ignition or add fuel reducing MPG.

150f appears to be the sweet spot; lower and the gains aren't there, higher and the engine makes too little power to out run a bicycle uphill.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
To a certain point the hotter the better; once it gets too hot it'll either ping from pre-ignition or add fuel reducing MPG.

150f appears to be the sweet spot; lower and the gains aren't there, higher and the engine makes too little power to out run a bicycle uphill.
Yup, definitely had reduced MPG, especially after I turned the A/C on to run the fan. The engine temp gauge got down to the 1/4 mark so it was running rich to try and warm up.

I'll aim for 150, I will have to come up with someway to regulate the intake air temp.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Nice set up. How much mpg are you getting from this, or too early to tell?

Always had in mind to set up something similar, but in 9 years never made the time. Had something like this in mind for adjustment

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #8
ErikTande
ErikTande will become famous soon enough

I got a 2-3 mpg gain just from adding in a "short ram" intake on my SW2. It's just sucking warm air from the engine compartment. I expect getting closer to the exhaust manifold could likely get you a 3-4mpg boost.

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

About 14 years ago now Cheapybob got his '97 SC1 to over 50mpg with a WAI and some aero mods.
Various threads:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71674
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77237
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74808
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175694

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I came to the same conclusion about this post, relative to cheapybob............ He did it without concern about measuring resistance and converting values to temperatures going into the intake air system. I believe he looked past this by keeping his eyes on the gas gauge to achieve mpg numbers and maintaining the same route to control as many variables as necessary to prevent skewed results. In the end, he decided on switchable values to allow for cold engine startups without stumbling issues arising from leaned out fuel mixtures when cold engine startup tends to run better with rich mixtures then switching to lean conditions as soon as he was underway to allow engine loading to hasten warm up temps. While not scientific, he still achieved remarkable fuel economy by painstakingly documenting every step to have a record if something went wrong to review notes and sharing his experiments here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #11
laser3kw
laser3kw is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

I run a similar setup on my 2000 SC1. I monitor my IAT with a Scangage to see what the ECU is reporting. I have had temps as high as 200 and most of the time, in years past, it runs in the 160 ~190.
Little sluggish? Meh, I am not doing it to run ET's.
This year, I uncoupled it a little and run around 140 ~165. Does seem a little peppier.
current mpg is 42 - just measure today, miles driven / gallons at the pump.
Weekly miles 240 or so, some in town and some highway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote