SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
Packrat1
Packrat1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
Default po037 came back

So I got a code po037 right after replacing the valvebody. Hooked up an ohmmeter to terminals C and D on the sensor. Showed 13.1 ohms. I believe the limit is 12ohms, so installed a new Bosch replacement and cleared code. Started car, went in the house for couple minutes, came back, ses light is back on. Po037 came right back. Any thoughts?

1995 Saturn SW2 5speed (retired @ 350,412 miles)

2001 Saturn SW2 (work in progress)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packrat1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packrat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: po037 came back

From the service manual;

The heated oxygen sensor 2 (HO2S-2) is located behind the catalytic converter. The sensor is used by the powertrain control module (PCM) to determine the oxygen storage capability of the catalytic converter. Due to the location of the HO2S-2, a heater element is required to provide additional heat which speeds up sensor activation time. The PCM will command the heater ON (supply ground path) after the first 45 seconds of engine run time and will not turn it OFF until the engine is turned OFF. The PCM monitors the heater current draw and will set DTC P0037 when the heater is commanded ON and the current draw into the PCM is too low.

DTC Parameters

DTC P0037 will set if HO2S-2 heater current is less than 0.17 amps with heater commanded ON when:

*The condition exists for longer than 0.5 seconds.
*The battery voltage is greater than 10.9 volts for longer than 0.5 seconds.
*The engine run time is greater than 45 seconds.

DTC P0037 diagnostic runs continuously after 45 seconds of engine run time when heater is commanded ON.

DTC P0037 is a type B DTC.

Diagnostic Aids

To locate an intermittent problem, use a scan tool to monitor HO2S HEATER - LOW VOLT or HO2S HEATER - OPEN test after engine has been running over 45 seconds. When a fault (open or short to ground) exists, the scan tool will display TEST FAIL for both tests.

The test updates every 100 ms whenever the engine is running over 45 seconds and the device is being commanded ON via the PCM.

The heater may be commanded ON before the first 45 seconds of engine run time if the calculated converter temperature is high enough.

The heater element resistance is 12-27 ohms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P0037.jpg (78.0 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Did you try unplugging it, and plugging it back in?

No, seriously.

I researched P0037 some time back and that was the most common solution. The wiring for the secondary O2 goes over a crossframe member (somewhere slightly inboard from the driver side front tire, IIRC) and there is a connector right there. Unplug, (give a spritz of electronics cleaner if you have some handy, let dry) and reconnect.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Packrat,
Last night on your reverse slam thread, at 6:26pm you said

"Ok. Drove about 15 miles today. Seems to be back to normal, but check engine light persists. Replaced downstream o2 sensor and cleared the code, but came back right away. What else would trigger a po037?"

If you had noticed, I answered your question 12 minutes later by saying:

"I have no experience with that heater code, however; back in 2009 while addressing that code on a '98, OldNuc said,(P0037 Heater Circuit Low Voltage)

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=136349

"You can try disconnecting and reconnecting the plug. Its located on the rear cross tube of the cradle, right behind the steering rack. There is a connector lock pin in it that has to come out before it will unplug."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:34 PM   #5
Packrat1

2001 SW2

I can't believe that actually worked. Unplugged and plugged back in about 10 times for good measure, then pulled the pcm b fuse to clear the code, started up and light is out. Hope it dont come back any time soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Packrat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
I can't believe that actually worked.
I know, right?

It's almost a joke in the computer / IT fields, and a meme in its own right

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (31.2 KB, 1 views)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #7
Packrat1

2001 SW2

Dang. Code came back again this morning. Guess next attempt will involve contact cleaner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!