SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2018, 07:19 PM   #1
StrnWolf
StrnWolf is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1994 SL1
Default Help With Donor Mount Bracket

I need to get a front "dog bone" engine mount bracket for my relatives 94 SL1 Automatic. I am wondering what Saturns would be a qualified donor for it. It is the bracket that connects the engine/trans to dog bone. The one on there broke so need to replace ASAP.

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2
12/2009-PRESENT (Soon to die) 1994 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StrnWolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StrnWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StrnWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #2
Sc2Zr2
Sc2Zr2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Re: Help With Donor Mount Bracket

Considering 1992 - 2002 used the same dogbone mounts in all s series i would assume those years of all s series would work. Im sure someone else will chime in with better knowledge than i.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sc2Zr2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sc2Zr2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sc2Zr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:28 AM   #3
Medtactics
Medtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really nice

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc2Zr2 View Post
Considering 1992 - 2002 used the same dogbone mounts in all s series i would assume those years of all s series would work. Im sure someone else will chime in with better knowledge than i.
Correct, but there are three versions.

http://www.evilplastic.com/mounts-a.htm

If any user helped you, be sure to rep them.

Late 99 SC2 2.5 Gen, 237k miles

"Well... Now my car looks like a blackbarry." - Medtactics, 2017

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:07 AM   #4
StrnWolf

1995 SL2
1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtactics View Post
Correct, but there are three versions.

http://www.evilplastic.com/mounts-a.htm
To clarify, I know the difference in mount over years, but what I need is the "bracket" that connects front drivers side dog bone to the engine/transmission. The bracket bolts to engine/trans (likely trans but not sure) then the mount bolts to the bracket then it finally bolts to the car.

The transmission is INTENSE in the Saturn, so the bracket broke (not the mount.)

On same topic, I need quality mounts and I cannot afford OEM. The engine has destroyed three mounts already in under 30 days each. It is the dog bones that cannot handle the force of the shifts. The first two were DEA/MRC. I bought a full set for all four. I installed the trans mount, the top mount, and the rear dog bone but left the front dog bone since it was fine. In less than 30 days the rear dog bone broke at the seem, so I installed the other which also broke at the seem in under 30 days. Then I bought a mount at Auto Zone, it lasted just over 60 days. Meanwhile the top engine mount and trans mount have fared very well. I have yet to see how the AutoZone mount failed. The rear dog bone keeps failing and because it failed the engine shifted so violently it broke the front dog bone's bracket.

Where can I get dog bones to last in the car for less than OEM? At this point I want to go to car yard and just find some OEM ones there and install on mine. Want to buy a all thats there.

To summarize, I need to know what front (drives side) dog bone brackets will fit the Saturn, and where can I get better mounts for less than OEM?

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help StrnWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2018, 02:28 AM   #5
Sc2Zr2
Sc2Zr2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Sounds like you need to fix the issue with the harsh shifting of the transaxle first, otherwise what's to stop your replacement bracket and mount from breaking in another couple weeks?

When you go to the junkyard you can compare the bracket on whatever s series they have. Finding oem left side dogbone mounts might be difficult at a junkyard. They are most likely going to have aftermarket replacements installed too.

Any mount you buy isn't going to last if you are having an issue with violent shifting. Polyurethane inserts or solid link type mounts that would hold up to such force would just transfer that force to back to the bracket you're trying to replace now.

Last edited by Sc2Zr2; 08-16-2018 at 02:39 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sc2Zr2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sc2Zr2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sc2Zr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:46 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

There's only 2 versions of the dog bones...1st, 2nd and 1st again.

The transmission side of the mount only changes in the '93-'94 range, though the bigger change is between manual and automatic transmission.

If the transmission isn't shifting smoothly like it does from the factory you need to fix that first, otherwise you're trying to fix the wrong problem.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #7
StrnWolf

1995 SL2
1994 SL1

Honestly, well I just have to do what I can to extend the life of the car for low costs. The whole transmission needs to be replaced because it keeps slipping gears, slams into reverse every time, and shifts violently. It also grinds when shifting into 2nd and 4th gear, almost sounds like the old "ooga" car horns during shifts. I am broke as it is and this car needs so much work that its not worth doing huge repairs like transmission. Be cheaper to find a good Saturn with dead engine and swap my engine into it, really the engine, starter, and alternator are all that is good in this 94. EVERYTHING needs to be repaired or replaced on this car, that is no exaggeration at all. Well the rear windows are good but front windows are bad and windshield is not repairable. I am trying to get the money for a new used Saturn but that is a huge likelihood it will never happen. If ever I get a replacement Saturn I am removing the engine in this one, the engine is unbelievably in amazing condition for its age, needs very minimal work and with a rebuild it can last 200,000 miles easily.

But anyways, yeah, just doing little repairs. Just praying I can get another Saturn SL before this one dies, which will most likely be CV joint or transmission.

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I think your cheap options are done with...otherwise you'd have just welded some support braces on/around the 'broken' mounts you already have. May work to have someone else do the same thing but it won't be as cheap.

Could also make some custom solid mounts by welding pipes in an "I" shape the length of the dog-bone but that'll probably tear the mounting pad out of the frame rail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote