SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
Default How to tell if wheel bearing is bad?

My 1999 SC2 seems to have a fair amount of noise in the cab. It's quiet up to 40mph, then gets noisy and less noisy at certain speeds.

I bought the car with 138K on it; it now has 144K and has always made this noise.

The tires are new - $40 Walmart Douglas cheapies. I thought new tires would help, but the noise is about the same.

I get 30+ mpg in 40% city 60% hwy driving.

So is the noise bad bearings or just road noise from the tires?

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of light

1995 SC2
2001 SL1
Default Re: How to tell if wheel bearing is bad?

Bearing noise will increase as you go higher in speed. This can be similar to tire noise too, but if the pitch didn't change at all when you swapped tires then it could likely be the bearing. You can try slalom'ing (if that's a word) the car to see if the pitch changes as the weight of the car shifts, but that's hit or miss.

If you do need bearings, buy Timken. The cheap China ones they sell at stores will fail within the year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
Sc2Zr2
Sc2Zr2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

i would jack the car up and feel/listen for play/wear in the bearings with the tires off the ground. try moving the tire on the vertical and horizontal axis. spin the wheel and listen for bearing noise. any slop or grinding would indicate a bad bearing. like MacGyver said, while you're driving at speed you could try turning the wheel left and right, kind of driving in an s pattern to see if that affects the noise. (slaloming lol, did you watch that etcg also?) if you hear it while turning right id check the left bearing. if its worse while turning left check the right. it could also very well just be low quality tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sc2Zr2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sc2Zr2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sc2Zr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:23 PM   #4
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Here's a good video by Eric the Car Guy diagnosing a Saturn SL1 with a bad wheel bearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdRpnK5MGQ8

Be cautious doing this, as Eric states in his video.

SKF is a Swedish brand with a decent reputation and quality control as well.

Last edited by hholbein; 08-16-2018 at 12:30 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #5
KDulcimer
KDulcimer is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2

Usually, a wheel bearing is a growling sound, and will increase with speed.

My mentality about wheel bearings is that if you're replacing one, you might as well replace the other side too.

SaturnFans helper map: http://bit.ly/1uDorVF

1998 SW2 & 2002 SL sold, but I still see them around!
Purchased 1996 SW2 end of July 2018, quickly junked it. Looking now...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KDulcimer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KDulcimer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KDulcimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:17 AM   #6
sc2 saturn
sc2 saturn is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

wheel bearings are growling sounds could jack up car check for play in tire wiggling 12 o clock and 6 clock and 3 clock n 9 o clock and see if there is any play also if you turn left or right and the noise goes away then its wheel bearing forsure

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2 saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:52 AM   #7
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Thanks guys.

I does seem like I'm driving on a gravel road even on a newly paved road. It seems to come from the rear of the car. It's an SC2 which seems to amplify the rear noise.

I guess I'm dummy because I've driven with this since I bought the car. The dealer said it was just tire noise. How far can people drive with bad bearings? My mpg seemed good.

I did get front bearings with my rotors but didn't install them. They are likely made in China. Should i skip these and get better ones?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Bad bearings are normally described as sounding like a jet engine spooling up, more of a whine. They’ll make a whine long before any increase in play, and by then you’d get a lot of vibration. I don’t think you have a wheel bearing issue. You might check the condition of your bushings if you hear more of a rattle.
-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #9
DonP1

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Bad bearings are normally described as sounding like a jet engine spooling up, more of a whine. They’ll make a whine long before any increase in play, and by then you’d get a lot of vibration. I don’t think you have a wheel bearing issue. You might check the condition of your bushings if you hear more of a rattle.
-Robert
Thanks. This is not a whine, engine spooling, or supercharger / turbo type of sound.

It is a low grumble and I feel a lot of the road surface through the car. Maybe worn out shocks or struts besides the bushings?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #10
KDulcimer
KDulcimer is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2

Could be a bad tire, could be a bad wheel bearing. Rotate your tires and see if the sound moves up front. If it doesn't, replace the wheel bearings.

SaturnFans helper map: http://bit.ly/1uDorVF

1998 SW2 & 2002 SL sold, but I still see them around!
Purchased 1996 SW2 end of July 2018, quickly junked it. Looking now...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KDulcimer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KDulcimer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KDulcimer is offline   Reply With Quote