SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
timl865
timl865 has a spectacular aura abouttiml865 has a spectacular aura abouttiml865 has a spectacular aura about

Default Odometer just added 500k miles!

Hi, my 02 lw200 with 192k miles all of a sudden reads 690981! Wtf? Any ideas on what would cause this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to timl865's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help timl865 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
timl865 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Odometer just added 500k miles!

Get ready to have to replace your body control module. Any other weird electrical issues with the car? The mileage that is displayed on the instrument cluster comes from the body computer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Check for loose or dirty connection to BCM. Check all grounds to make sure they are not corroded. Also check battery for corroded or loose connections.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:14 AM   #4
timl865
timl865 has a spectacular aura abouttiml865 has a spectacular aura abouttiml865 has a spectacular aura about

Ugh thanks
. Where is the bcm located on this car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help timl865 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2018, 12:31 AM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'm in full agreement with post #s 3 and 4. If connections turn out to be otherwise okay then your options are as follows:

1) Purchase a "new" replacement which can be found at RockAuto.com, at OE websites, or from a dealership. Take the replacement BCM to a dealership's service department where the most accurate information can be programmed into the new unit. This is the only way to retain your odometer's actual mileage. Or you can...
2) visit a wrecking yard and pull one from an L-Series car or wagon of the same model year and with the same engine as yours. There's 30 minute "marrying" procedure that a DIYer can do and is written about in these forums. Once complete you're good to go except...the mileage shown will be that which is stored in the used BCM and not what your actual mileage was. If that is not of any particular consequence to you then this is the least expensive repair option available.

Avoid this altogether:
3) There are companies which claim to be able to rebuild or otherwise repair your original BCM. However, members of this forum who have attempted use them have only met with failure. No knowledgeable member here recommends using such companies.

292,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:57 AM   #6
Bryan4257
Bryan4257 is on a distinguished road

Me thinx electronic failure.Prolly need a new cluster, if it's important to ya

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bryan4257's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bryan4257 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bryan4257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timl865 View Post
Ugh thanks
. Where is the bcm located on this car?
The BCM sits atop the glove box case. The glove box door and case have to be removed so as to access and separate it from the case.

292,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:09 AM   #8
timl865

Thanks guys. I dont care about the mileage if i change the bcm. I just dont want any further problems. I will try the upull next week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timl865 View Post
Thanks guys. I dont care about the mileage if i change the bcm. I just dont want any further problems. I will try the upull next week.
That will require a GM TECH II and only GM dealers have them they will have to reprogram and restore the correct mileage back to the new BCM to get it working again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote