SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
rfisher
rfisher is on a distinguished road

Default L100 instrument light rheostat needed

hi saturn sages- glad to be back on the forum. having a tough time finding a replacement instrument light rheostat or dimmer switch for the dashboard lights. all efforts have failed so far(reillys, advanced, auto zone, bennets, napa, chevrolet dealers, even gmpartsnow). vehicle is my 2001 L100 saturn sedan. the wheel type switch is under the left side ac vent . switch is to the right of the trunk release button. told the part is no longer available or discontinued. gm part number was 9104893. anybody replaced one of these and has a source for it? thanks tons bob fisher

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2018, 08:16 AM   #2
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2
Default Re: L100 instrument light rheostat needed

Junk yard is your source, unless a used one pops up on Ebay

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
rfisher

thanks floridas- will try that as my last resort. electrical parts are risky from junkyards, but may have no alternative. hoping a sage on this forum has one in his junk pile. regards bob fisher

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2018, 01:32 PM   #4
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Is this it? https://www.autozone.com/electrical-...17798_659691_0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:06 AM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

^Dsaturn's information is correct. What is striking to me about this is that AutoZone may be the last supplier selling this switch. It can no longer be found through AC Delco's online catalog. The part number was accurate on an OE website, gmpartscenter.net, but was listed as discontinued. RockAuto no longer lists the part (it was there for a very long time).

My assessment of this situation: if anyone is considering acquiring a new dimmer switch then they probably shouldn't waith too long. This switch was not a utilized by GM in North America for any division other than Saturn. There probably aren't all that many left.

293,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 08-15-2018 at 01:12 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:18 AM   #6
GregS&L
GregS&L is a jewel in the roughGregS&L is a jewel in the roughGregS&L is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
hi saturn sages- glad to be back on the forum. having a tough time finding a replacement instrument light rheostat or dimmer switch for the dashboard lights. all efforts have failed so far(reillys, advanced, auto zone, bennets, napa, chevrolet dealers, even gmpartsnow). vehicle is my 2001 L100 saturn sedan. the wheel type switch is under the left side ac vent . switch is to the right of the trunk release button. told the part is no longer available or discontinued. gm part number was 9104893. anybody replaced one of these and has a source for it? thanks tons bob fisher
I need to ask - why are you replacing the rheostat? Is it broken/worn out beyond repair or is it simply causing the IP lights to flicker in an erratic manner?

If all the IP lights are flickering, it is likely due to dirty/erratic contacts within the rheostat. If so, a good electrical contact cleaner will usually solve the issue. My personal favorite for 40+ years has been Caig Labs DeoxIT-D for initial cleaning with a follow up application of DeoxIT Gold for lubrication. My IP lights were flickering several years ago due to an erratic rheostat and the Caig products were the remedy. Only a light application is required.

Caig products used in electrical contact cleaning mean business. They work very well unless serious corrosion, burnouts or wear has set in.

If the rheostat is broken beyond repair and replacement is required, the posts above should assist. Sad that some Saturn parts are slowly becoming NLA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GregS&L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GregS&L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GregS&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #7
rfisher

hi greg and dsaturn for your responses. the one pictured on the autozone website you offered is the correct rheostat switch. but it says not available. yes the dash lights re flickering especially when i turn the little plastic wheel. probably is weak, worn or dirty contacts. have a tube of deoxit and will try it. might just work. do have a further question. this weekend plan to take the panel under the steering wheel off to access the screw which allows the ac vent to come out. that vent duct holds the rheostat and the trunk release button. does the panel simply pry and pull out or is there a trick to it. dont want to wreck it since thats probably made of unobtainium too. diagram in magic book seems to show the rheostat snaps out of the two switch holder. appreciate your guidance . thanks tons bob fisher

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
hi greg and dsaturn for your responses. the one pictured on the autozone website you offered is the correct rheostat switch. but it says not available.r
^^ rfisher, Take another look at the link Dsaturn posted, it shows it is available by ordering on line just not in your local store for pick-up.

Should you want to clean this switch, it is easily removed. Pull down the cover under the steering wheel. (No need to remove) Take out the HVAC vent by removing the one torx screw at the bottom. The switch is released by pressing a couple of tabs on the back of the switch. It slides out from the front.

Let us know how else we can help.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #9
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
^Dsaturn's information is correct. What is striking to me about this is that AutoZone may be the last supplier selling this switch. It can no longer be found through AC Delco's online catalog. The part number was accurate on an OE website, gmpartscenter.net, but was listed as discontinued. RockAuto no longer lists the part (it was there for a very long time).

My assessment of this situation: if anyone is considering acquiring a new dimmer switch then they probably shouldn't waith too long. This switch was not a utilized by GM in North America for any division other than Saturn. There probably aren't all that many left.
Not available in store but is available to ship to home.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #10
Dsaturn

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
hi greg and dsaturn for your responses. the one pictured on the autozone website you offered is the correct rheostat switch. but it says not available. yes the dash lights re flickering especially when i turn the little plastic wheel. probably is weak, worn or dirty contacts. have a tube of deoxit and will try it. might just work. do have a further question. this weekend plan to take the panel under the steering wheel off to access the screw which allows the ac vent to come out. that vent duct holds the rheostat and the trunk release button. does the panel simply pry and pull out or is there a trick to it. dont want to wreck it since thats probably made of unobtainium too. diagram in magic book seems to show the rheostat snaps out of the two switch holder. appreciate your guidance . thanks tons bob fisher
Mine does the same thing. Flickers when you touch the switch wheel and wont stay on high when you let go of the switch wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A few years after I bought my L300 I saw the same flickering when touching the dimmer knob. It's just a small potentiometer controlling a low voltage signal to the bcm that controls panel lighting. It appears to be a common wear item. My solution after finding the pot was to shim it so it wouldn't move from touching it when fumbling at night for the trunk release button. It seems to work but doesn't help with the flickering when touching the dimmer knob. Since I rarely dim interior panel lights in NYC, periodic exercise seems to help. Annoying sometimes but not worth replacing it. If I know this part is no longer available then I'd locate any markings for resistance value. Dimensions and cross referencing online electronics places for potentiometers should result in a replacement. Bypassing the pot may work too by wiring a bypass to disable the dimming function altogether.

I posted something similar - one of my cooling fans lost medium speed. A resistor burned out. Testing showed the fan working when I bypassed the resistor. No markings anywhere for resistor value and wattage rating. Shopping online revealed the two numbers from a Dorman replacement and off to the online electronics sites to find a replacement for a few dollars. Wired in the resistor and my fan has medium speed again (until the fan wears out altogether).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #12
rfisher

hi rb6667 - thank you for the info . sorry missed that the part was available on line. seems mighty steep price though doesn't it. going to try cleaning and deoxit route first. regards bob fisher

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #13
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
thanks floridas- will try that as my last resort. electrical parts are risky from junkyards, but may have no alternative. hoping a sage on this forum has one in his junk pile. regards bob fisher
yes they are no more risky then from parts store. Just look at the connections and worse they are far cheaper then parts store or from eBay if someone is selling them and it most likely is junkyard parts as well. I've gotten plenty of parts there and if you know what your doing then go for it. But as cars age that will be your only choice where you know you can at least find them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote