SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2018, 07:06 PM   #1
tmatul
tmatul is on a distinguished road

Default Emergency brake cable '02 with rear drums

My driver's side emergency brake cable broke and I'm trying to replace it. Rear brake is apart, but am having a couple of problems:

1) I don't know how the old housing disconnects from the rear drum. It's quite rusted and I can't tell if it's supposed to have tabs that you push in to then pull it out or if it screws in or how it's attached.

2) Once inside the drum the cable passes through a spring before connecting to the emergency brake lever with a kind of footballish shaped ball on the end of the cable. The new cable has a round ball on the end that is too big to pass through the spring.

The brake cable I bought is an AC Delco 18P2042 GM 88927445, which according to Amazon should fit. It does look a little bit different however.

I've tried search and seems like it shouldn't be that difficult. I probably could drill out / cut the old cable housing out of the drum if needed but looking for advice and suggestions. Pictures attached. Thank you for the help.

Pictures are in my gallery..... I guess it won't let me post pictures directly in thread until I have 15 posts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tmatul's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tmatul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tmatul is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #2
tmatul

Default Re: Emergency brake cable '02 with rear drums

Well, turns out getting the cable out of the drum was easy. Once I figured out how to get a flathead screwdriver in the space at the proper angle a little bit of tapping with a hammer and it came out.

The cable is still a mystery. It's definitely much different looking than the OEM cable. I'm not even sure which end is which. Tomorrow will remove the rest of the broken cable and try to match them up the best I can. Hopefully can make something work. Would be curious if anyone has run into this before. Confirmed on the RockAuto site that this cable is recommended for my car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tmatul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

There's 3-4 tabs around the cable where it comes through the backing plate, have to press them all in to pull the cable out.

According to GM it's the same cable '00-'02 any S-Series; the GM number references to this part on Amazon.

You may have to adjust the leveler length coming off the parking brake handle as well.

Rockauto also says GM 88927445 is for '00-'02 S-Series but none of the GM parts lookup places show what models it fits...if they can even find that part number in the first place. I suspect it's for certain models in the '91-'97 year range with rear disc if it's even for the S-Series at all (part is unique to the S-Series...).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #4
tmatul

Thank you for the reply and the part reference.
The part you linked to also shows as compatible for my car on both Amazon and Rock Auto. The cables definitely do look different however (again, put pictures in my gallery). Notice the AC Delco has the round ball on one end (as opposed to a more oval shaped one on the Doorman).

I thought the end with the round ball would be the one going into the drum, since it has the tabs on the metal sleeve, but maybe I'm wrong and that end goes into the car since the opposite end has the rubber "stopper" like thing that I'm assuming is to keep water out of the drum.

Hopefully I can figure it out tomorrow. Seems like this should be easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-13-2018, 10:47 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Easy enough to swap out the cables but given the below options for cables it's not exactly simple...lol
  • '91-'91 and '93-'96 2dr's have shorter cables for both rear disc and rear drum (2 unique cables)
  • '91-'95 4dr's have different cables for disc & drum (2 more unique cables)
  • '96-'99 4dr's and '97-'00 SC use the same cable between models, but different cables for disc & drum [disc dropped starting in '98] [2 more unique cables]
  • '00-'02 4dr and '01-'02 3dr use the same cable.

So that's 7 total cables, most technically interchangeable depending on model & options chosen/added.

IIRC the ball end cable is for rear disc and the ball goes on the caliper while the "barrel" end goes on the load leveler off the parking brake handle.

Last edited by fetchitfido; 08-13-2018 at 10:52 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #6
tmatul

Great information. So do you think I have a cable for a disc brake car and I need one for a drum brake car or are they the same? Neither Rock Auto or Amazon seemed to indicate that they were different.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Drum brake cables should have the barrel shape on both ends while disc brake cables should have the barrel shape on one end and the ball on the other. The calipers require/use a larger spring so it can handle the larger diameter ball.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
tmatul

So finally had time to get it fixed. I actually used the disc brake cable with the ball end for my drum brakes. The cable seemed to be perfectly fine other than the ball on the end so I used my dremel to grind the ball down into a shape very similar to the original cable and it fit and seems to hold just fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!